Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

What's with limited edition FOOD?!?

I've been wondering this for a few weeks now, what's the deal with limited edition food? Do companies think the public is so collector-crazed these days? Do they think we're just so gullible that we can't enjoy something unless there's the threat that it's going to go away? Why is it just sugary snacks and junk food? Look at all the recent foods that have gone limited edition:

- Breakfast Cereals (Pokemon, Simpsons, etc.)
    - Sodas (Shasta Root Beer)
    - Candy (White Chocolate Kit-Kat)
    - Chips (Lays California Dill Sour cream, Lays Memphis BBQ)
    - Fast Food (McDonald's McRib and Mighty Wings)

So, in the immortal words of Jerry Seinfeld, "what is the deal?!?"
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

You're kidding about the Cali Dill, RIGHT ? I love those chips, they are WAYYYYYYYY better than any other Dill potato chip I've ever had.

Fast Food - I don't get it either . . . sure it might create some buzz by being available "for a limited time." But what's the long term gain? If the food is good to begin with, you should be able to milk it for years!

Simpsons cereal was limited? I bought a few boxes of Homer's Donuts on clearance, I just thought the product didn't take off in sales.

Yup, Cali Dill is indeed a limited edition, says so on the back of the package. Personally, I favor the other one (a fine BBQ chip) so I know what you mean.

Fast food blows my mind because you can't KEEP it on your bookshelf, you can't trade anything for a vintage '98 McRib sandwich (McRib -aka- the pork McNugget ). What's strange to me is how people actually do look forward to the McRib once it's gone, so it's working!

Yeah, Simpsons cereal was very limited, even more than AOTC cereal. It was so rare that I have never actually seen a box on shelves.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I hate limited edition food, especially in the case of Taco Bell. Anyone remember when they had the "Rancho Steak Burrito" for a limited time. I loved those, I would go there often as hell to get one, cause I knew that like most food if it's popular enough they would keep it around. Everyone I know really liked it, but it suddenly quit showing up on Taco Bell menus. But Taco Bell is notorius for bringing stuff back after while. Well, I am still waiting. Anyone else out there remember these delicious burritos.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Burger King also had cheese sticks for a limited time, they were actually pretty good, but I dunno when they stopped having them.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

right... I never understood that business either...
    my last gf (together for 6 years, so I had the time to ask lots of questions) worked at kfc, and said that the limited edition is supposed to be a safe way to test-market stuff, so they don't have to keep it available (increasing inventory and loss etc) if it fails... people inevitably ask for stuff that's "edition" has ended, and if they made a big enough deal about the "end date", they just say "oh, sorry, the promotion's over"
    Also as a phony hype generator, although I think I would have to leave if someone actually said "mmmmmm- limited edition" while eating a piece of *ughhh* fast food.

Anyways, I have a mc-rib from the original early 80s edition, anybody here interested??? it's PIMB (Putrid in mint box), if ya want it pm me
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Are they actually just "limited" or will they keep it if does do well. Anyone know they science????
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    I hate limited edition food, especially in the case of Taco Bell. Anyone remember when they had the "Rancho Steak Burrito" for a limited time. I loved those, I would go there often as hell to get one, cause I knew that like most food if it's popular enough they would keep it around. Everyone I know really liked it, but it suddenly quit showing up on Taco Bell menus. But Taco Bell is notorius for bringing stuff back after while. Well, I am still waiting. Anyone else out there
    Does anyone remember when Taco Bell used to serve breakfast? They had the best breakfast burrito called the country BB. It had eggs, cheese, tater tots, and country sausage all for 69 cents. Those things were so dang good I could eat a ton. I used to buy a couple every Sat. morning on my way to WM to hunt for EP1 SW figures.

I wish they would bring those back.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Jonna
    What is up with that!?!

I find it funny that a lot of these limited foods are more popular than the junk they leave on their menu.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.