Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What in the ---song remake--- is going on ? ? ?

I give in. I'm completely defeated by DJ Sammy's blasphemous cover of Bryan Adams' Heaven. I can't take it anymore.

Today I heard for the first times a hard rock cover of Carly Simon's You're So Vain AND if you can believe this, a cover of DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince's Nightmare on My Street.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the "Nightmare" song as a kid, but at the time they were still making Elm Street flicks . . . why was this song redone now? It's been 8 years since the last film, it seems like strange timing. Anyway, I still like the idea of bringing this song back, but the first two I mentioned are horrifying.
    (if you can tell me who did these versions of "Vain" and "Nightmare", I'll be mighty thankful )

Feel free to post about other song covers you love/hate/are indifferent to . . . here's a few off the top of my head:

Aerosmith Come Together - love it
    Lenny Kravitz American Woman - love it
    Marilyn Manson Highway to Hell - hate it

Where the Streets Have No Name by Pet Shop Boys

If it's perfect the first time, why redo it?
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Sweet Dreams by Marilyn Manson - Hated it
    Don't you forget (about me) by Life of Agony - Loved it
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Faith by Limp Bizkit - absolutely, positively disgusted by that sorry excuse for a cover song....hated it.
    Suspicious Minds by Fine Young Cannibals - actually quite like this cover.
    Shout by Disturbed - a good, dark take on this song.
    Sweet Child o' Mine by Sheryl Crow - eh, probably could do without.
    Can't Stop Falling in Love by UB40 - good cover, with a different style.
    -Bob
    I am blind to the value of this pain...

I heard a remake of Biz Markie's "Just a Friend" a few days ago. BLASPHEMY!

I've got six mix CD's worth of weird covers at home and I'll try to post some of my faves off those in a day or so. Here's some good ones off the top of my head:

Queen's Tie Your Mother Down by Lemmy Kilminster & Yngwie Malmstein
    New Order's Bizarre Love Triangle by Frente
    The Rolling Stones Paint It Black by U2 (or by Jonny Lang or Vanessa Carlton, for that matter)
    Britney Spears' Baby One More Time by Ahmet and Dweezil Zappa
    The Bee Gees' Stayin' Alive by Dweezil Zappa and Ozzy Osbourne (or, again, by Siobhan Lynch or Wyclef Jean)
    Led Zep's D'yer Mak'er by Sheryl Crow

The list goes on and on. . . .
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Limp Bizkit - Faith - HORRIBLE!!!!!!
    The remake of Just A Friend is horrible too!
    Sheryl Crow - Sweet Child O' Mine - I kinda liked it
    Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams, - HORRIBLE!!!!!
    Jay Z - Hard Knock Life - I wonder how many people knew they were singing a show tune?
    Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You - good

You know....I am having trouble thinking of some.....

Oh wait,

Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal - I liked it.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

Besides what everyone else has listed...here's a few I can think of. I could pull more, but I'm too lazy to shuffel through CD's.

Orgy's Blue Monday...much better than the original 80's tune.

Metallica's Stone Cold Crazy...better than Queen's original.

Metallica's Tuesday's gone...can't remember if it was Skynard?
    But most of metallica's stuff on garage inc. is all old covers they've done.

David Lee Roth's California Girls - better than the Beach Boys.

David Lee Roth's Just a Gigolo - better than the original blues song.

You could even throw in all of Rap's song sampling, but we'd be hear years.

I think all this cover stuff is part of the industry and how bands making it big or try to pay tribute to the groups that influenced them. Impersonation is the largest form of flattery. All these bands started small in clubs and bars and played covers from various older bands. Some one heard them and gave them a shot so they started writing their own stuff, or some one wrote it for them. Why change what got you to the top - playing covers.

I beg to differ my man - Whitney Houstons 'I will always love you' is a travesty of a sham of a glaring cockup in the history of music making. Dolly partons original is was and will always be supreme! Dolly rocks!!!!!!

Captain sensible's 'Happy talk' is better than the original showtune though, if a little dated now.

Was it the 'Fugees who did 'killing me softly' with that idjit Wyclef murmuring "one time" constantly? Talk about how to ruin a good song! Actually the main vocal on that track was ok but idjit Wyclef should be banished to a small island somewhere and never let anywhere near a recording studio ever again.

reading Thrawns eighties thread reminded me of The flying lizards 'money'. it being far superior to the original by the Beatles I think....

John Lydon's 2002 remake of 'God save the queen. A classic with a subtle slice of out of date cheese. Bouncier and catchier than the original but the bounciness kinda detracts from the intent of the song as a protest against her Royal Maj. Queen Betty. I liked the new version but the original stands alone in fields of glorious gold as a testament to the fury of the summer of '77 and the movement that changed music history forever.

Raven- born to be wild- way better than the crummy steppenwolf version/original
    Manowar- an american trilogy- fun, good like the elvis version
    Voivod- atronomy domine- lots of fun
    Surfers- sweat loaf- pretty funny
    Poison- deliverin the goods (Judas priest) excellent!!!
    Pat Boone- any song off of in a metal mood, real funny stuff, holy diver is the standout
    Motorhead- louie louie- nuff said
    malmsteen and dio- dream on (aerosmith) funny cover, too much of everything
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

I hate Limp Bizkit version of Faith,
    Also Kelly Ozbourne, Papa Don't Preach, obviously bount to be huge, because of the sucess of the show, but:

Alien Ant Farm, Smooth Criminal: Sounds Better than the M.Jackson version, most will disagree, but the song is more suited as a hard song

Weatus, A Little Respect: Another one that was better than the origional.
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008