Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Should we allow FREE e-mail accounts?

I am wondering if we should continue to allow "free" e-mail accounts like yahoo and hotmail. What it may boil down to is quality of posts or quantity based on what we decide. Removing "free" e-mail accounts would make the moderating job much easier as most people tend to behave more if they are using their real ISP e-mail account. This is not saying everyone using a free e-mail account does not post quality posts. I would like your input on this matter.
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

Re: Should we allow FREE e-mail accounts?

Originally posted by SirSteve
    I am wondering if we should continue to allow "free" e-mail accounts like yahoo and hotmail. What it may boil down to is quality of posts or quantity based on what we decide. Removing "free" e-mail accounts would make the moderating job much easier as most people tend to behave more if they are using their real ISP e-mail account. This is not saying everyone using a free e-mail account does not post quality posts. I would like your input on this matter.
    This may be a great way to clean up some of the unnecessary garbage and language that floats around from time to time on the SSG forums. I always thought that if you had an Internet account then you would already have an e-mail account as well, so there isn't any need for hotmail or Yahoo. I'm all for it as long as it doesn't interfere with someone who may not be able to get a regular e-mail account because he or she is at work during their on-line time. I also think that this may deter individuals from joining this site because of the discrimination involved in the process. You have great moderators and great members that always let you know what’s up, if they have a problem, so maybe you should leave it the way it is. It will mean less griping in the long run. Just my opinion on the matter, you hold the power for the ultimate decision.
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!

Anyone else?
    "SirSteve"

Registered
    Ontario, CANADA where there are no TARGET stores

email accountability

The only reason that I use a hotmail account for boards like these is the immense amount of spam I inevitably end up finding in my Inbox as a result of signing up(not from SirSteve's, necessarily). I always choose to not share my email address if the option is offered but it doesn't seem to work out. This way, at least I keep the spam at one location and the 'serious' stuff at the other. I understand your concern though. Choose wisely...and thanks for asking our opinions.
    Don't drink the blue milk! Why? It's spoiled!

You can hide your e-mail address via the User CP. We never sell our user database to anyone.
    "SirSteve"

I use Yahoo email, I don't have a local address . . . would this be grandfathered in?

Yes, what about users of Cable and DSL. Not all of them recieve email accounts, do they?
    I don't think you should ban free email accounts, that would be bad. I think some of the younger kids that rack up massive amounts amounts of posts don't belong here, but this isn't the wat to do it. :/

Originally posted by Nexu
    Yes, what about users of Cable and DSL. Not all of them recieve email accounts, do they?
    I don't think you should ban free email accounts, that would be bad. I think some of the younger kids that rack up massive amounts amounts of posts don't belong here, but this isn't the wat to do it. :/
    Yes, they do get their own e-mail accounts as well.
    "SirSteve"

Steve, would this be grandfathered in or a retroactive application?