Gold Micromachines

hey gang,

Recently at a local flea-market I saw one of those gold Micromachine Classic Series exclusive sets; it was the one with the X-wing and Slave 1. It was still in the clear display box, and in fact it still had the sealed plastic bag over it.
    Anybody here need it for their collection? I'm more of an Action Fleet collector and I also like to open all my stuff. I don't have the other 2 gold sets (there were 3 right?) and I know these are probably hard to come by these days, so if there's a hole in someone's collection they'd like to fill, let me know.
    I'll give the SSG's MM gang first dibs, if no one here bites, maybe I'll put it on E-bay. Any idea what a fair price is on it?

the problem with the gold mm's

at least as far as i'm concerned, is that they are strictly display pieces and not really toys to be played with. since i like to play with my toys, and not jes look at em, i've never had any interest in acquiring these statues.

when they were 1st offered at retail, they were exclusives to certain stores, (i forget which ones were exclusives to which store), they sold for $100 apiece.

demand for this type of collectable was not exactly overwhelming, and by 1999, these gold sets were easily found at big lots for $14.00 apiece.

occasionally they pop up over at ebay, usually for a buy it now of around $25.00.
    0 /// /// F=MA~~~~~~~~~~~~
    what's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding

Well I may help you. I have these three 24 Karats Gold plated sets in my collection.
    The two first sets (Imperial Emblem & Tydirium - Slave One & X-Wing) were available for purchase through the Galoob website and in some stores. Retail price was $99 on the catalog but price in stores was lower.
    The third set (Millenium Falcon versus X-1 Tie fighter) was an Internet exclusive only available through the Galoob website. This last one had a limited production of 5000 pieces worldwide. Retail price $99.

I bought the two first sets for approx $30 in UK.
    The third set was found on Ebay for a much higher price ($55 if I remember well). It's the rarest of the 3 sets.

Well I'm not really interested in those particular Gold commemorative editions (same for ST or SW) but they are attractive to me by the fact they're using the same molds as the Die-Cast/X-Ray line and I'm trying to complete this particular size serie.
    - "I've never understood Walt Disney".
    Howard Philip Lovecraft.

I think they should make a gold Darth Vader's TIE and make it a convention exclusive. That'd be totally sweet!!!
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Couldnt agree more slick.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker
    I think they should make a gold Darth Vader's TIE and make it a convention exclusive. That'd be totally sweet!!!
    They could put different STICKERS in the package to make it exclusive to different conventions, too! WOW!

I'd LOVE to pay $150+ for one! RIGHT NOW!

(As it is, I'd pay $58 for 2...)

Quote Originally Posted by Warstar
    They could put different STICKERS in the package to make it exclusive to different conventions, too! WOW!

I'd LOVE to pay $150+ for one! RIGHT NOW!

(As it is, I'd pay $58 for 2...)

Whoa, whoa! Settle down WS. That was just a hypothetical suggestion by me and you're taking it totally too far. We all know that Hasbro would never make it in gold let alone put convention stickers on it.

And why would Hasbro charge $150 for it? They only cost AT MOST $10.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Yeah yeah, I know. I mean Hasbro would NEVER cater to scalpers or dealers by making ultra-cool, uber-rare things that only dealers and store-owners could get mass quantities of, leaving the majority of collectors in the world without them.

I guess I should just have more faith in Hasbro and save my $20 for 2, right? ()