Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Originally posted by Eternal Padawan

The only recent (in the last year) film that will stand in that category of high caliber films is LOTR.
    I totally agree there! The first truly worthy film adaption of Tolkien's epic. It's not the story material that stands out, but the way it was presented. Anybody remember the Ralph Bakshi LOTR cartoon that premiered in December 1977? Or the Rankin Bass cartoons from 1979? Not really. Tolkien's story was impossible to film until just recently when the advancement of CG technology made possible the shrinking of actors and creation of beasts from the depths of myth. However, the effects don't overshadow the story, which is still very personal and endearing (unlike another recent blockbuster trilogy).

The reason I believe people are so upset by CGI is that very often the movie itself is built around the effects (Anaconda, Jurassic Park, Armageddon, Volcano, Twister are just a few examples of many) and the story only exists to showcase as many whiz-bang! CG effects as possible. However, the same things were said about stop motion and optical compositing when those techniques debuted. So the problem isn't a new one.

Originally posted by billfremore
    How about 1999?

Star Wars, Episode I: The Phantom Menace
    The Matrix
    Deep Blue Sea (I love shark movies)
    Lake Placid (This movie was seriously underrated)
    American Pie
    Sixth Sense
    The Mummy
    Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
    Toy Story 2
    The Blair Witch Project
    Magnolia
    Dogma
    Being John Malkovich
    American Beauty
    Fight Club
    Sleepy Hollow
    South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut

That's a pretty good year for movies.
    YES my friend a very rich quality resevoir indeed.:happy:
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

I never wanted to debate old movies vs new movies. It's unfair. Forget about the money or inflation. Other things come into play too. How much would Star Wars ANH of made if it was the only movie playing in theaters for months. We never factor in the competition and what other movies where playing when we say that GWTW made a Billion.

My intial thought of this thread was one of discussion, and I never figured on comeing out with a concreat answer. No one ever agrees on anything hear, so why on Earth would we agree on this. Furthermore, I changed this topic is a reply a while ago in wich I changed the time frame to 1975 (the Year of Jaws and the birth of blockbusters and the modern age of movies). So, again, I don't care about Lawernce of A or GWTW or Wizard of Oz. 1975 and up, that's when movies really changed and that's only fair to compair with the movies of today.

What makes a good movie? God only knows. I know that popular movies must be good or no one would go see them. Lets say that 20 Million people saw Scooby Do. A bad movie, but a lot of people saw it. Lets say that only 8 million saw K19 a great story and movie, but many people didn't see it. Wich is better? Well, K19 is a better story and a better movies, but more people went to see Scooby. So what? How do we judge? We cannot. It's impossible. Some people love Lawerce of A, but I don't. Some people think it's the best movie of all time, but I don't. Who's right and who's wrong? We can never tell. What's great to you is crap to me and what's crap to you is great to me.

People have never been able to agree on what is the best ever, of anything ever. The best car, best vaction spot, best soft drink, or best movie, people will never agree. Perhaps we can agree that this year is a pretty good year for movies. You can remember it however you will. I will remember it as one of the greatest years in movie history. That's the truth to me, but it could be BS to you. Who cares? We are both right.
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

I will say this in the shortest amount of words as possible. 2002 the best year yet for movies? Pass me the crack!

Just take the "best" movie (whatever awards show you want to put your faith in) from any year in the past 5 years or so and compare it to some of the older movies. Garbage!

Even some of the "better" movies (Award winners like A Beautiful Mind, Gladiator, Traffic, etc...) do not even begin to hold the title of best movie for anything.

I could go on for ever about this, but it is pointless. Done.
    This announcement has been brought to you by a generous grant from the Ranting Jonna Foundation
    "Helping to improve your life through nonsensical ravings for over 35 years"

I'll say it's pointless. What make these old movies so good? You like them, but I don't. What makes what you say any better than what I say? I don't like old movies, but aparently you and other do. So, that makes new movies bad or something. Can't hold a condle to, yea right.

My statement of 2002 is the best is a gerneralization. Movies out this year are good! If you don't like them fine. Get out the old reel to reel and watch some good ones. I'll be at the theater enjoying some new and aparently crappy movies.

Maybe this year is just the greatest to me. Maybe that's my fault for not clearing that up a long time ago. This year offers 5 out of 8 of my favoirte movie titles of all time (Star Wars, James Bond, Star Trek, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings). The only three that are missing are Indiana Jones, The Matrix, and Jurrasik Park (those three will be out again in the next year or two). This movie year also offers my two favorit directors (George Lucas and Steven Speilburg). This year offers my favorite funny men of Hollywood (Adam Sandler, Mike Myers, Dana Carvy, Robin Williams, David Spade). This year offers my favoirt actors (Mel Gibson, Tom Cruise, Sam Jackson, Patrick Steawart, Tom Hanks, Clint Eastwood, Wesley Snips). To me this year offers so much more than any other I've been around to see.

So there. To me this is the greatest movie year ever. To me, no other year stands up. This is my opinion and I don't care what anyone else things. Why would I care what other think, or what the Academy thinks or what the box offices say. I've enjoyed so many movies this year and that is all that matters. I stand by my statements and no one can change that.

Arguements can be made for any year to be the 'greatest year' for movies but your statement says it all.
    You think this year is great, because you're enjoying it more than any other year. I can say the same for 1999.
    People can disagree with you and throw awards and box office and what not at you as arguements but the important thing is that you're enjoying this year.

So enjoy icatch9, lots more fun stuff on then way in the next 4 months!
    [font=verdana]Madness take its toll. Please have exact change[/font]
    [font=verdana]Life's short and hard like a bodybuilding elf... - Blood Hound Gang [/font]
    I'm a trendy tote bag!

Thank you billfremore, finally someone understands. I can say that '99 was a great year too. A lot of great films. Most likely my second favoirte year !