Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Exclamation 2002 The Great Year in Movie History!?

Is this year the greatest year in moive history? I've thought about this and in my mind I think it is. Never befor have we had such an amazing list of moives in one year. Here is just a handful of what I came up with.

Resident Evil
    E.T. Special Edition
    Blade 2
    Spirit
    The Scorpion King
    Lilo and Stich
    Mr. Deeds
    Spiderman
    Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
    Sum of all Fears
    The Borne Identity
    Minority Report
    Men In Black 2
    Austin Powers 3
    K 19
    Sighns
    Stewart Little 2
    Spy Kids 2
    XXX
    The Road to Perdition
    Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets
    Jomes Bond : Die Another Day
    Star Trek: Nemisis
    Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

In recent past there has never been a year with 4 major Blockbusters that have done and will do very well at the box office (Spiderman, AOTC, Harry Potter, LOTR)

This year is also filled with the best actors of the day, playing roles they aren't familar with and some that are.

Harrison Ford (K 19)
    Tom Cruze (Minority Report, Autin Powers 3)
    Mel Gibson (Sighns)
    Tom Hanks (Road to P)

The two greatest Directors of our time have movies this year

George Lucas (AOTC)
    Steven Spileburg (Minorty Report & ET S.E.)

Plus some real good up and comers
    Peter Jackson (LOTR: TTT)
    Chris Columbus (HP: TCOS)
    M. Night Shalama (Sighns)
    I'm sure there are more, but these are directors that have already had smash hits.

We also get movies with some of the most popular Stars in Hollywood
    Along with Ford, Hanks, Cruz, and Gibson we get

Will Smith (MIB 2)
    Sam Jackson (AOTC, XXX, Changing Lanes)
    Ben Aflack (Sum of all Fears, Changing Lanes)
    Matt Damon (Borne ID)
    Adam Sandler (Mr. Deeds)
    Mike Myers (AP 3)
    Wesly Snipes (Blade 2, Undisputed)
    Morgan Freeman (Sum)
    Tommy Lee Jones (MIB 2)
    Clint Eastwood (Bloodwork)
    Leim Neeson (K 19)
    Pierce Browsnon (James Bond)
    Patrick Steawart (ST 10)
    Mila Jovavitch (Resident Evil)
    The Rock (Scopion King)
    Juaken Pheonix (Signs)
    Vin Desil (XXX)
    Ving Rames (Undisputed)
    Paul Newman (The Road to P)
    Kirstin Dunst (Spiderman)

This is by no means an all inclusive list, but I think it clearly backs up my claim. We may very well be living in the greatest movie year ever. Perhaps there isn't som Earth shattering movie like Gone with the Wind, Jaws, or Star Wars ANH. However those years didn't offer much else. This year we have all the blockbusters to compete with any other year not to mention a long list of other really great movies. Clearly many have been left off, but I think I highlighted the vast majority of them.

So, what do you guys think? Any great movies I left off? Any bad movies I put on (I know The Scorpion Kings wasn't good, but it did kick off the Summer Blockbuster streak so I thought I had to add it ).

Of course next years movies are already lineing up well
    Matrix 2 and 3
    The Hulk
    DareDevil
    LOTR: Return of the King

So who knows what will happen?
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

Actually, I think it is actually the greatest year for home video. I'm not sure that I would consider 2002 the greatest year in movie history though. Previous years had just as many big releases, this year is just fresh in your mind. But if you look at 2002 for DVD releases, it's the best year ever.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I agree with that list--those are all great movies (except the Sum of all Fears ) but you should have added Eight Legged Freaks, too.

I think the greatest year in movie history has got to be 1977!!! So what if there weren't as many good films released that year than this year, but there was one film released that year that changed the way EVERYBODY looks at movies. Yes that's right, The Spy Who Loved Me was released that year . Star Wars was also released in 1977 so '77 will always be the greatest year in movie history for me.

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

eight legged freaks was a very good movie and sum of all fears was one of the worse movies i have EVER seen.
    I dont want to sell you death sticks, i want to go home and rethink my life.

Alright, I didn't start this thread to debate what movies where good and what movies where bad. I'm sure plenty of people would love to discuss that in another thread.

True this year is freshly in our minds, but that doesn't make it any less relevant. Do you think people in the 50's knew that they were makeing movies in "The Golden Age" of Hollywood? Probally not. Now, this year may turn out to be just a good year and not the best year, but I still don't see any other year competeing with this year.

I've thought about it a little, and I couldn't think of any other year that offers as much as this one. Sure 77' had ANH wich changed movies forever, but what else did it have? One movie cannot and doesn't make a year the greatest movie year ever. AOTC is the first all didgital movie wich may very well change movies forever from this point on. When GWTW and The Sound of Music came out there were not to many other moives, so those years really coulnd't compete.

So, you can say what you will, just as I have, but I haven't heard any competetion for 2002 other than '77, but Star Wars and James Bond cancel each other out so more would be needed.

I stand by my statement, that never befor in movie history have we had so many movies that are extreamly popular and sucessful. Furthermore certain movies that are out this year will be popular for years to come, and that is an important aspect to remember too.
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

Yes, fiscally, 2002 is on track to have the best take at the box office, so from a popularity standpoint, fine. But look at that list again- I see a lot of sequels, reissues, and cookie cutter crap.

How many of those films broke new ground? How many of them challenged your beliefs? How many of them touched you emotionally? Minority Report did for me, and I hear Road to Perdition should as well.

The best year for film, IMHO, was 1962.

In that fine year, although I was nowhere near alive, the public was favored with the following:

Lawrence of Arabia
    The Longest Day
    Mutiny on the Bounty
    To Kill a Mockingbird (in the middle of the civil rights era)
    The Music Man
    Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
    The Manchurian Candidate (that's for you, Mandalorian C.!)

Sorry, but any of the above simply trounce most of the 2002 list. I love AOTC, but Lawrence it ain't.

Directors that year included Stanley Kubrick and David Lean- Spielberg can go kneel before Zod!

And for you Bond fanatics, two words- Dr. No
    Last edited by JON9000; 08-14-2002 at 06:24 PM.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Hey you missed Dr. No of your 1962 list!! That's an important film for '62, just look at ALL the Bond films that have been made!

PENDO!
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

This is truly the year of special effects.
    If Yoda is capable of kicking someone's @$$, imagine what a muppet could do!

Originally posted by Hasbro'sBountyHunter
    This is truly the year of special effects.
    You're right there it is a year for Special Effects, but I still prefer the old ways of doing it! I'm not a fan of CGI!!! I wish things would go back to the way they were!

PENDO!
    My DVD Collection