Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

A New Hope is the least like Star Wars out of all the films!

Seriously! There's no Yoda. There's no Palpatine. The lightsaber duel is slow and almost boring. There are no knock-down, drag-out fights, except for the Death Star battle. Darth Vader is just some creepy dude, and he's the least creepy in this one anyway.

Who else agrees?

Re: A New Hope is the least like Star Wars out of all the films!

I can underestand what you are saying. I thought there was a link to a poll or something. Being that it was the first one, I cna say it is not the least liked one. It kicked it all off, so therefore someone had to like it.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I disagree with you there, JJL. While Yoda and Palpatine may be absent from the film, you don't really need them to have a great movie. Besides, there's no place for them in the movie anyway.

And Darth Vader is creepier in this one than he is in ROTJ. In ANH, he chokes Captain Antilles and Admiral Motti, he kills Obi-Wan and Biggs, and he tortures his own friggin' daughter, for cryin' out loud! How creepy is that? In ROTJ, he just followed Palpatine's orders the whole movie and he didn't even force-choke anyone. But one thing that made him less scary in ANH: He was Tarkin's b**ch.

I do agree with you on the lightsaber fight, though. It was the worst of all the lightsaber battles in the movies.

But I think the movie that is least like Star Wars is Phantom Menace. Lucas made that movie for his kids, not for the fans. The only sequences that actually are reminiscent of the other movies are the lightsaber fight and the space battle. The podrace doesn't cut it for me. It was fun the first few times I saw it, but now I'm just sick of it. Jar Jar was the biggest mistake of George Lucas's career. Overall, it doesn't give you the same feel that the OT does.

Thankfully AOTC changed that to an extent, with a better Star Wars-feel to it.
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

This thread has a fascinating and evocative title, but of course the statement is false. I think each Star Wars movie has its own feel. If you want to say there is a "Star Wars" feel, then A New Hope, by default, captures it best. I guess you could state, as some do, that Star Wars was all downhill after a New Hope if you measure how good a Star Wars movie is by how much it is like a New Hope.

I personally think the original trilogy just got better as they went, same from the prequels so far, though I don't think any prequel movie is as good as any original trilogy movie. I think the movies, from worst to best are I, II, IV, V, VI. So if Episode III is better than II, but not as good as IV, the Saga will get better with each installment.

Along the same lines as Droid you could say that ESB, ROTJ, TPM, AOTC, and ROTS are the least like SW because they don't follow in the same line as the original.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Star Wars is still my personal favorite. I still think the special effects are as good as anything today. The set design of ANH is still fantastic in my opinion. The lived-in look of the Lars homestead and Mos Eisley gave me a wealth of imagery to get my imagination going when I used to play-pretend as a kid. And the interiors of the Falcon - wow. I wish(ed) I had a ship like that in my back yard to play in.

The lightsaber duel was between a villain of indeterminate age and an elderly man so I think having Matrix-style acrobatics would have really destroyed the audience's suspension of disbelief in 1977. It would have been funny to see the "old fossil" leaping and somersaulting around. The Jedi mythos were still being established and we don't see lots of leaps, vaults, and somersaults until Luke, a younger man, begins his training in ESB. Vader is reserved physically throughout the OT, but I figured that was due to his war injuries and the fact that he is powerful enough not to have to rely on brute strength any more.

Of course since 70 or 80-year old Dooku is leaping around in AOTC it makes Kenobi's limp fencing seem ridiculous. I guess it depends on your POV. Since I grew up with the OT, I consider them to the basis for Star Wars canon and they should not be changed just to fit the new canon being established in the prequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Ji'dai
    The lightsaber duel was between a villain of indeterminate age and an elderly man so I think having Matrix-style acrobatics would have really destroyed the audience's suspension of disbelief in 1977. It would have been funny to see the "old fossil" leaping and somersaulting around. The Jedi mythos were still being established and we don't see lots of leaps, vaults, and somersaults until Luke, a younger man, begins his training in ESB.
    Yes, but watch it, in SW EPIV Special edition segment 20, Lucas will digitally enhance Obi-Wan and Vader to have a "Matrix" style lightsaber duel.

Star Wars Episode IV still is my favorite of the SW films. Luke is still innocent, albeit a whine baby, but he is young, and gets to strike out on his own after his Aunt and Uncle are Slaughtered by the Imperials, starts his training with the Force, and becomes a Hero. I used to dream about being "Luke" as a kid!

And in Episodes I and II, and most likely in III, we get to see Obi Wan in his prime, when he still had the moves. "I'm getting to old for this" Ben says to Luke in Episode IV, he's ready to pass on the baton for the new generation of Jedi, and helps the young crew escape from the Death Star to fight again, and indeed becomes more powerful by guiding Luke during the climatic last minute of the battle over the Death Star.

I LOVE EPISODE IV!
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Dang people, I never said I don't like it. I love it! I didn't say it's the least-liked, I said it's unlike the others. I was just listing all the constants in the other five films that aren't here at all. Those are by no means contractors, just statements.

Geez I guess I better be more careful with my wording next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
    Dang people, I never said I don't like it. I love it! I didn't say it's the least-liked, I said it's unlike the others. I was just listing all the constants in the other five films that aren't here at all. Those are by no means contractors, just statements.

Geez I guess I better be more careful with my wording next time.
    "A New Hope is the least like Star Wars out of all the films!"

Yes, because if you read the title, it sounds like you are saying that it is the film you least like.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Quote Originally Posted by Droid
    I think the movies, from worst to best are I, II, IV, V, VI. So if Episode III is better than II, but not as good as IV, the Saga will get better with each installment.
    Not in my opinion. I thought that "Empire" was a much better film than "Jedi". It had a much better story. And most fans would agree with me. I'm not saying Jedi is a bad movie, either. It's my third favorite Star Wars film after Empire and New Hope. Here's how I rank the SW movies from worst to best so far: I, II, VI, IV, V.
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]