Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wal*Mart CANTINA SETS - info from someone who's got them LOOSE!

OK, the bar segments fit together great. If they don't - try switching the side you attach each of them to.

MOMAW NADON - is a totally different body sculpt. I compared him with the old Momaw with the over-tunic off, it is still a completely different and more accurate body sculpt. Diorama makers: if you want 3 different Ithorians in a Senate Caucus Pod, get 2 old Momaws, taking the cloak off one, and then use the Cantina Set one as the 3rd. It is even a more faded skin color and lighter tunic color. Nice touch. It should look very good in a Senate scene while the regular Momaw is fine by me for my actual cantina scene where there's only 1 Ithorian. (the head, arms and legs are the same, but lighter tone).

PONDA BABA - has a new right arm and both leg sculpts. It is not the Rebel Fleet Trooper's legs, they don't bend that way. The arm plugs in, it does not "do a Zam Wessel with a magnet." Hasbro has decided that magnets will here on out only be used to symbolize The Force, I think I heard them say. That's why Luke Bespin cannot use the Force to get his hand back, but it's fine to attract his lightsaber back to him. Ponda's jacket is more flexible so he can sit comfortably at the bar stool. He and Greedo look so comfortable there, that you wonder if they considered Major Derlin once, will they consider his counterpart "Norm?"

(Cheers television show joke in case you don't get it)

GREEDO - is a much darker paint job, as is the color of his vest more accurate. It is identical to the CommTech Greedo otherwise. For Galactic Senate scenes, or other dioramas with multiple Rodians: use this new one next to the '96 Little Head Greedo and you've got yourself 2 different Rodians.

THE CUPS - are pliant plastic and I've been setting up Dexter's Diner with these sets and even the GI Joe Stormshadow and a 21st Century Extreme WWII German Airborne guy I've got sitting in there can hold their glasses.

DIORAMA MAKER TIP: Coruscant is most widely populated by humans. Using Joe's without obvious screw holes (plastic joint bars) and no rubber-band-diaper-bodies (in other words, new Hasbro mold styles) you can add people to your Coruscant scenes for Dexter's Diner and especially the Outlander Night Club. There are some aliens, but it's supposed to be mostly humans - though an extra set of Jabba's Dancers will get you some more girls in the picture, too. Lady Jay is due out from GI Joe this year though. At Comic Con, she was a great figure. Customs of Tenel Ka, Mara Jade, or Siri Taichi (who really is more blonde) are all possibilities, as well as a fill-in female, or Elscol Loro for Rogue Squadron fans and more advanced customizers (use the Leia Bespin Escape body for a flightsuit).
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Did the cardback backgrounds survive shelf wear? Or should I just track down the diorama w/ Sandtrooper and build on from there?

Or...should I aim for vintage?
    "It's bombs away for Iraq and on our civil liberties if Bush and his cronies get their way. Dissent is patriotic!"
    - Helen Thomas, veteran journalist

Journalists are mostly centrist in their political orientation. The minority of journalists who do not identify with the "center" are more likely to identify with the "right" when it comes to economic issues and to identify with the "left" when it comes to social issues.

They sound pretty sweet Tycho....I just can't wait for Kitik!
    Urban Exploration - It's a rush!

The cardbacks were fine. I just don't intend to use them. That's all. Don't think this would work: combining it with the cardboard set.

Don't know because I'm not considering going that route.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

thanks for letting us in on the info for them. i should be able to find the three of them at one of the walmarts i have around here.

Thanks for the review, Tycho. What about grabbing a cheap 3-D Cantina set from the FC (I think they've marked them down to like $4) or something and then just cutting out the drinks section and putting that up on it's own stand, think that would work? If they just would release some curved pieces...
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Originally posted by LTBasker
    Thanks for the review, Tycho. What about grabbing a cheap 3-D Cantina set from the FC (I think they've marked them down to like $4) or something and then just cutting out the drinks section and putting that up on it's own stand, think that would work? If they just would release some curved pieces...
    Yea, Is the 3 sections of bar the same size as the bar in the 3-D Cantina set? I was thinking about replaceing it as well .

It's bigger - the new set. Maybe using two of those.

They're all identical, so you could still attach curved pieces if they make them.

Note, the real cantina did not have bar stools, though. So the cardboard one is more accurate.

I built my own custom diorama for Mos Eisley (cantina included) that I've been filling with characters since Greedo came out in 1996.

So I used the cardboard one for the spaceport bar on GALL - Shadows of the Empire where Bossk thought to team up with Zuckuss and 4-LOM and take the frozen Han from Boba Fett before he got him to Jabba's. For good measure, from "The Emperor's Hand," I have Mara Jade customized (into mostly the under-wardrobe of Bespin Leia) tending the bar on Gall, obviously a place where Luke might show up to confront Fett over Han as well. That made sense.

With the new Cantina set, like I said, I'm making it Dexter's. If that's the way I'm going to keep it, after all the sets are out, I'll repaint them like a 50's diner.

Hope I get an Old Sebulba and an Ark Bumby "retired" Roose to add to the diner scene. Was there another Pod Racer there, too? Seemed to be all humans, bounty hunters, or Pod Racers, and all of them some sort of gamblers, in that place. If they make a figure of Villie, I'll add him in there, too. I put a cloak on Obi-Wan and have him meeting Dexter at the very left end of the bar and the rest of the stools have Snakeyes, Zutton, Greedo, Mr. German Airborne, and finally Ponda Baba seated there. Djas Puhr is trying to get a refill, but Dex is busy with Obi-Wan, so I need that server droid or Dexter's sexy wife to take care of him!

Originally posted by Tycho
    It's bigger - the new set. Maybe using two of those.

They're all identical, so you could still attach curved pieces if they make them.

Thanks! Tycho,
    The sections are all the same. so,you could connect like 12 of them and have a super long bar!

thats very cool !Customizing rocks!
    Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of the SAGA stuff is real easy to customize. Like they have it in mind when they make the new stuff.

I just got back from Wal-mart, and I bought all three sets. They are really superb! I jumped 3 feet when I saw Momaw Nadon! LOL. All three figures have great paint jobs, and are wonderfully sculpted! I had to laugh when I saw Ponda Boba. His legs look kind of crossed, like he has to pee really bad....
    Urban Exploration - It's a rush!