View Poll Results: Do you want a 100x100 avatar?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 68.97%
  • No

4 13.79%
  • Doesn't Matter

5 17.24%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Do you have temporary internet files? Is that even an option on windows 95?

7k is really tiny. You can't do much with it. Only basic animation, and low-quality .jpeg's.

It really wouldn;t be that distracting, and it won't affect the page design in the least, there's room all around.

Beat me to it.

Exactly Nexu, it's not like we are talking about giving everyone giant "Needles" sized avatars. And sorry for beating ya to the punch on the TIF's.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Talking Found It.

A little OT, but you know, there's an animated smilie out there that goes from to , and it looks pretty cool. I'll have to see if I can find it, maybe is can be added here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails biggrin.gif  
    Last edited by Nexu; 08-16-2002 at 10:53 PM.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 100x100 avatar. I really don't think there is that much differance between the two. There were some avatars I would have loved to use before, but I couldn't because they were too large. And I cannot resize GIF's. I would not bother me all that much. Besides, if the limit was to be 100x100, that doesn't mean you have to make it that big. But I know most would
    Come see Dar' Live™ Aug 12-15 in Orlando!!!
    You're slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.
    Hackers in hollywood movies are phenomenal. All they need to do is "c:\> hack into fbi"

Yes, most would, but I wouldn't with my current one. I can't succesfully resize images, and have them look decent.

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    Not that big of a change JT. Not anymore then the ads at the top and bottom of the page make it slower to load. I doubt that making the avatars 25x25 larger, would hurt load times any. Especially when I have seen the 100x100 version in effect, and there is little to no difference in the load times. Plus since they are images, once they are loaded by your browser, until you delete your Temporary Internet Files, it's not going to be very noticable anyway.
    It's nearly double the area (5,625 vs 10,000 pixels), so if we go up to 100x100 but DON'T change the max size requirement, it'll actually be twice as hard to meet requirements.

And even cached, the nocache on each page requires that cached images be checked against the current version every time.

Originally posted by Nexu
    Do you have temporary internet files? Is that even an option on windows 95?

7k is really tiny. You can't do much with it. Only basic animation, and low-quality .jpeg's.
    Ahahahahaha. Internet Explorer uses the integrated Temporary Internet Files system, even old versions like IE3. Netscape uses a separated system creatively titled "Cache".

Steve isn't talking about raising the maximum filesize so it may very well just be 100x100 @ 7k. If you think 75x75 @ 7k is basic, wait till you try it at double the pixel count. Look at Thrawn's avatar, it's under 7k and it's 75x75 and it's got animation, maybe you're asking too much of your avatar if you can't get that much in.

DA, to resize GIFs, convert their modes from Indexed Color to RGB, then they will be in JPG mode and can be shrunk easily. Convert them back to indexed to save as a GIF or leave as-is to save as a JPG.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I've voted for no because I think 75 x 75 is enough and with larger avatars it will be harder to keep within the file size. Also larger avatars can make things look tacky .

I'd rather things just stay as they are.

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

I voted 'yes' as long as it doesn't bog everything down, I'm cool with it and I can recall quite a few instances where I wished the avatar requirements weren't so small.

i voted yes because i think it would be a little better. but can you not up the file size a bit too?? i think at 100x100, 7k would be hard to meet. maybe 10k or 14k??? just an idea.
    Lok: Who are you?
    Oobie: I am Oobedoob Benubi. I have the silliest name in the galaxy.
    Lok: What's your middle name?
    Oobie: Scoobi-Doobi.
    Lok: Oobedoob Scoobi-Doobi Benubi?

Originally posted by Thumb Wars
    i voted yes because i think it would be a little better. but can you not up the file size a bit too?? i think at 100x100, 7k would be hard to meet. maybe 10k or 14k??? just an idea.
    Well, Horrordvds.com uses 100x100, with a max file size of 20000 bytes. I'm sure that if Sir Steve is thinking about increasing it from 75x75 to 100x100, that he would also use a similar file size. After all, I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.