Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sequels

Sequels

So Lucas has decided to stop making Star Wars movies after Ep III. Well, why? What's the point? What else has Lucas been as successful at besides Star Wars? So, lets see. The prequals have basically taken up about 10 years of his life. Would it hurt him to finish his story (correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he write outlines in the beginning for a 9 movie span?)? All he would have to do is write the story enough time into the future so that the original actors could play the parts and make the movies. Everyone would be happy, the fans, him (since he loves doing it) and basically the whole world. George Lucas really isn't that old and whats another 10 years. What do y'all think?
    Ah, good...here comes the Air Force with those new round planes.

Just because Star Wars is popular, doesn't mean he should devote the rest of his life to making the fans happy. What else has Lucas been successful at beside Star Wars? Well, let's see.

Well, there was American Graffiti, the Indiana Jones Trilogy, Willow, in the realm of film. Not to mention some lesser hits that he was involved in like Radioland Murders. Not to mention starting THX, Lucasarts, and several other business ventures.

He may be best known for Star Wars, but I'm pretty sure that he has intrests outside it. Once he's done with the prequels, there is Indy 4 that Ford and Spielburg want to do, as well as many other projects.

I'm fine with there just being 6 films, no need for a sequel trilogy. Though there is always a chance. But Lucas already said he was taking about another 20 years off, and then maybe if he feels like it he might consider another Star Wars trilogy. But don't look forward to it.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 08-16-2002 at 11:30 PM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

What's this "Star Wras" you speak of?

yeah, well i did speak before i really thought of his other successes, i guess i was mostly talking about his directorial movies, but he did have alot of other successes. and if we have to wait another twenty years for a new trilogy, Lucas will have to direct it in a wheel chair. but, oh well. i just thought it would be nice to see Luke and his cronies in another Star Wars movie.

Last thing that was said about the sequel Star Wars trilogy, was that it would star none of the original cast, except possibly the droids. Mark Hammil said that Lucas told him at one point that when they made the sequel saga, that Luke would show up and take on a roll similar to Obi-Wan's in ANH, as a mentor to the next generation.

Besides, I rather doubt that outside of Hammil, Daniels, and Baker, and maybe a few of the other small charecters would want to have anything to do with Star Wars again. Harrison Ford probably wouldn't agree to appear, since he seems to like to put Star Wars behind him. And Carrie Fisher, well...she made sure that her contract for Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back stated that they couldn't make any Princess Leia jokes. So I think she would feel the same as Ford.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Don't forget about ILM.

Even if Lucas might consider a future sequel to the OT he's sticking to his current statement of "no more after ep. III." This way he won't be bombarded with questions for the next 10 years while we wait for it to be released. Who would want to be subjected to that?

I could see him jotting down ideas over the years and maybe even writing a rough draft of a possible sequel in his lifetime but if it ever were to happen I'm sure it would be passed onto someone else. Perhaps his son/daughters? Of course who would be bold enough to accept that task? A majority of the fans spend more time dumping on whats produced than enjoying it in my opinion. I think they just set themselves up for a fall by mentally overhyping their expectations. Maybe that's why GL would stay away from any possible sequel. The fans might be their own worst enemy when it came to deciding this.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

To be honest I don't think I would want another trillogy! With Episodes I - VI the Saga has a perfect balance, the Dark Side rises and then falls, end of story! There is no need for another trillogy after that and, if not done properly, it could destroy the balance the saga has. I would be perfectly happy with just the six movies!

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

I agree Pendo. A new trilogy would force new issues to be created when the completed 6 films wrapped up everything else so nicely. On the flip side, it would be neat to see what happens to the Jedi order as Luke and Leia possibly recreate it. Are there other Jedi in hiding similar to Yoda? I guess an epiloge to the OT would be nice to give us a sense of what the future would hold for SW galaxy. If it never happens though, I would live on.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Perhaps a few spin-off movies not part of the saga, but set after it. That way we could see what the galaxy is like after the Empire, and if it's crap we don't have to consider it as part of the saga . They wouldn't have to have as much money spent on them, or as much hype, but it would make some fans happy. GWL might not even have to write or direct them.

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

if star wars is made without GL, whats the point? spin-off movies would still be considered the saga, or part of star wars, so if they sucked it would be terrible and bad for the saga so i would say if thats what it comes too, forget it.