Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Darth Maul's backstory

I was just playing Jedi Power Battles and thinking what a cool character Maul is, but mourning the fact that in TPM he got no depth or backstory like Darth Vader (like the rest of the characters in TPM). So is there anything worth mentioning, in the EU, that gives Maul a little meat? Maybe deepens the character a little, gives a backstory as to why he's so vicious? I understand there's a children's book and a comic series, but haven't heard if these are a waste of time or not (and I might feel a little more silly reading a kids' book, but will if it strengthens Maul's character).
    My name is Oobie Doob Badoobie.
    What's your middle name?
    Scooby Dooby.
    Oobie Doob Scooby Dooby Badoobie?

Get the Darth Maul graphic novel and the Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter novel. I've got these two and they're both enjoyable reads. In the Shadow Hunter paperback, there's extra short story called Saboteur too, also about Maul. This was previously an e-book. I've never read the children's book, so I don't know about that, sorry.
    Last edited by Darth Evil; 08-18-2002 at 07:13 AM.
    "There is no pain where strength lies"-Darth Maul
    "You must join me, Obi-Wan, and together we will destroy the Sith!"-Count Dooku

Cool, thanks Darth Evil. I'll check 'em out.
    What's your middle name?
    Scooby Dooby.

Definitely pick up the kid's book (Episode I Journal: Darth Maul) if you want backstory. It gives some tidbits of origin, but not too much, and fills in some "background" to TPM (like Maul's fight with Tuskens on Tatooine). Essential reading if you like Darth Maul!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I've never seen the kid's book, but if I do, I'll buy it.

Thumbs up

As long as you suspend belief that Maul would keep an ongoing journal, the DM Journal book is excellent! His home planet name (I forget), Sidious training him with a lightsaber, the Tusken Raider fight (explains his first quick duel with Qui-Gon), etc. It's worth it, and it's cheap too!
    "That's what Sheev said."

I can't help on either book. I have shadow hunter but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Anyway, I just wanted to say that Jedi Power Battles was a super fun game. I beat it a while ago (when it came out), but it's still fun to play. Playing with Darth Maul is cool too ! I'm pretty good with everyone but Plo Koon (he's so slow). I hope that they come out with a Attack of the Clones adaptaion of Jedi Power Battles. That would be cool for PS2 .

Sorry to get off topic.
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

I always wanted to see a Masters of the Teras Kasi style game with characters from both Trilogies. We don't need a storyline in such a game. To stay on topic, the idea of Sidious using a lightsaber is a very interesting one, I hope I see that book some day.

Wow, I just got Star Wars Tales vol. 1 TPB (it didn't impress me), it looks like I should have spent my Star Wars book money on something else. Thanks for all the tips, guys.

Oh, and icatch9, I agree that Jedi Power Battles was pretty doggone cool. I too would like to see an Episode 2 version, or even one with characters from both trilogies, updated with modern graphics. Too bad we seem to be the only supporters of the game, huh?
    What's your middle name?
    Scooby Dooby.

i enjoyed reading both Shadow Hunter and Gaphic novel. As far as the power battles i would like to play if i can find a copy.