Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post The Two Towers and Return of the King **SPOILERS!!!**

Just wanted to discuss some things with people who have read the books without ruining it for anyone trying to avoid spoilers.

First off, some shocking news (to me at least); I've just heard that the Shelob's Lair sequence has been moved to ROTK, so it won't be the climax of TTT like I thought it would. At first I was a little disappointed, but the more I think about it the more comfortable I am with the idea.

Think about all the stuff that TTT has to cover: intros of Gollum, Eomer, Faramir, Theoden, Treebeard, Wormtongue and Eowyn; the Ents marching on Isenguard (which I've heard has been filmed but no one knows yet if it will be in the final cut); the Window on the West and Forbidden Pool scenes; Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli's hunt for Merry and Pippin; all this and a 50 minute battle at Helm's Deep. So I am pretty sure that PJ made the right decision with Shelob's Lair.

Now for some ideas about ROTK: How do you suppose PJ will handle the entire Scouring of the Shire plotline? Once Gollum dies with the Ring and the Hobbits head home, do you think the movie will immediately cut to Frodo and Bilbo's journey West with Gandalf and Elrond? Or will we see Saruman's destruction of the Shire out of spite, like in the book? I'm pretty sure we will see it in some respect, unless PJ plans to rewrite Saruman's death completely (remember he is stabbed by Wormtongue while in the Shire).

Well, that's all for now, if anyone is interested in joining the LOTR toy and movie discussion at www.lordoftheringsguide.com , I go by the name Son of Gloin in the forums there.

One last thing, for anyone wondering if the Oliphaunts would make it into the film, well here is a pic of a dead one (look at the size of that thing!):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oliphaunt_lg.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	3420  
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

sounds sweet! i can't wait for both of them!
    h
    Sampsonite! i was way off!

I am still disappointed with the whole Shelob in ROTK (I think that the cliffhanger thing would generate a lot of excitement for the next movie). I would like to see the whole crowing of Aragorn, marriage of Aragorn and Arwen, the Funeral of Theoden, of and the Scouring of the Shire. If the battle of Helms Deep is 50 minutes in TTT, then how long will the battle of the Pelonor Fields run in ROTK.

I think we will definitely see the scouring of the Shire. Although it might be a little anti- climatic after the destruction of the ring. It gives you an idea how far the Hobbits have come over their journey, how much they have grown. I do not remember TT all that well, I remember thinking that the parts with Sam and Frodo were not quite as exciting as the others. I think Sam and Frodo, without the Shelob scene, will be relegated to the back burner. I am a bit concerned with how well Treebeard will come out in CGI. He's a tree- how do you make it move naturally?
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

I think PJ was a little nervous about "killing off" Frodo at the end of the second movie then showing that it was all a mistake in the third movie. Some people would see it as a cheap ploy. Of course, he could have shown Sam taking the Ring and the Orcs running off with Frodo's body and mentioning something about him being in a coma, not dead, then roll with the end credits. That would be cool, yet incredibly frustrating.

I still can't figure out how TTT will end without Shelob though. The battle at Helm's Deep takes place more or less in the middle of the story, because they still have to deal with Saruman after the fall of Isenguard and get the Palintir. Maybe it will end with Gandalf and Pippin riding to Minas Tirith while Sam and Frodo are being led to Cirith Ungol by Gollum. Seems kind of anticlimatic though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Here's a pic that proves that, if nothing else, scenes taking place after the destruction of the Ring were filmed. This is Sam with his daughter (presumably a few years after they return to the Shire).

Name:	sam.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	3423  

Here's a pic of Merry swearing his allegiance to King Theoden, just before the battle of Pellinor fields, IIRC. This was actually in one of the early trailers for FOTR.

Name:	theo.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	3424  

It is good to know that at least PJ has given some thought to following the ending of the story as faithful to the book. I really hate when a movie or a book ends right after the action climax and there are all these loose ends to tie up. I always thought that the end of LOTR was extremely well written in tying up all the loose ends.

I wonder if they will tell the unabridged story of how Gollum/Smeagol came to possess the ring. I always thought it was an interesting story and would like to see a flashback.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Well, Toy Biz has plans to make action figures of Smeagol and his companion in a two-pack. So I guess that is about as close to proof as we can get that the true story of how Gollum got the Ring will be shown in the movie.