Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Recommended John Williams film scores

I've been on a bit of a film score kick lately and the sheer volume of John Williams scores is pretty intimidating. So here's where I ask your help in recommending the best of the best.

So far I've got:
    Everything related to SW (the SE soundtracks, the prequel soundtracks, the E1 UE soundtrack, and the long-vanished CT boxed set)
    ET: The Extra-Terrestrial (SE)
    Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone
    Hook
    Jurassic Park
    The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    AI
    John Williams' Greatest Hits 1969-1999

I have Superman on an old cassette and plan to buy the expanded 2-CD edition of that soundtrack next. I also know I definitely want Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Jaws, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (unfortunately the only Indy soundtrack in print).

A friend of mine has recommended the following, not all of which I'm familiar with:
    Minority Report
    The Fury
    Empire of the Sun
    Home Alone 2
    Far and Away
    Dracula (1979)

Okay, what else would y'all recommend, and is there anything to definitely avoid?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

i like the ones he did for star wars and harry potter the best. they rock!
    h
    Sampsonite! i was way off!

I also have five or six different JW SW soundtracks including:

ANH, ESB, ROTJ SE 2-disc sets made in 1997
    EP1 original disc and the EP1 Ultimate 2-disc set
    The Skywalker Symphony actually directed by JW and recorded at Skywalker Ranch

Far and Away is also a great soundtrack, but it doesn't appeal to me enough to want to spend $ on it.

I'd also include Jaws, Close Encounters, and Superman as three good JW soundtracks.
    I just got the ET 20th aniv. soundtrack for my B-day. Really great tunes.

I also found a completely authorized soundtrack that was pressed a couple of years ago of Raiders of the Lost Ark. It was at a used CD store and I got it for $8.99. A great buy. The Skywalker Symphony was also purchased there for the same $.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
    I also have five or six different JW SW soundtracks including:

ANH, ESB, ROTJ SE 2-disc sets made in 1997
    EP1 original disc and the EP1 Ultimate 2-disc set
    The Skywalker Symphony actually directed by JW and recorded at Skywalker Ranch
    I have a Star Wars Trilogy Original Soundtrack Anthology from 1993. It is a 4 CD set, 1 disc per movie and the 4th has outtakes and previously unreleased music from all 3 films. It is pretty cool. It has a booklet that has a description of each track. There are also lots of pictures from the movies, behind the scenes, and R. Mcquarrie drawings. Yes, there is even the English version of the Ewok Celebration song.

I read John Williams won Academy Awards for Jaws and Fiddler on the Roof and was nominated for one in Close Encounters. He did the score for Born on the 4th of July also.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Man, that stuff is iconic. Superman, Jaws, Star Wars, Indiana Jones. I think only the Bond theme would be more recognizable.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

el chuxter,

these aren't john williams, but i'd highly recommend the "lord of the rings" and "band of brothers" soundtracks. both are very well done.

as for the "raiders" soundtrack, i recently found an import version of that film's music. so look out for that one.
    Last edited by derek; 08-19-2002 at 08:53 PM.

Derek - Here? Now? But that can't be... He died erm, I mean, he left the forums about a month ago.... How can this be....?

El Chuxter, the guy you want to speak to is Mike Troxell, our resident John Williams expert I believe. Mr. 'W' is Mike's pet thing before Star Wars I think.

John Williams and the Boston Pops did a take on the Legend of Zelda Theme. The tune is very Williamsesque (if I can use that term) because the beginning sounds like a part from the Superman theme. A very nice work by JW & BP's .
    If Yoda is capable of kicking someone's @$$, imagine what a muppet could do!

Gracias all.

derek, I saw a used import copy of Raiders online for "only" $57! I think I'll keep checking the brick-and-mortar stores for this and other treasures. Unfortunately the only used CD store in my area is Wherehouse, which is about as shoddy a used CD store as possible.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Originally posted by Hasbro'sBountyHunter
    John Williams and the Boston Pops did a take on the Legend of Zelda Theme. The tune is very Williamsesque (if I can use that term) because the beginning sounds like a part from the Superman theme. A very nice work by JW & BP's .
    I'd like to hear that.
    "Luke' I am your father!"

"You may be my father, but who's your daddy!?!"