Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Well, on another note, the largest failure in cinematic history was the 1995 pirate film Cutthroat Island -- which I actually saw. The movie cost between eighty and a hundred million dollars to make, and grossed no more than ten million worldwide!!!

Actually, Pluto Nash beat Cutthroat Island's record. It cost approx $90 million, they spent another $20 million advertising it, and its worldwide gross was only $4.4 million. Cutthroat Island made as much on its US opening weekend as Pluto Nash made altogether at the box office, making Pluto Nash the new record holder there.

BTW, I caught Cutthroat Island on TV a while back, seemed entertaining enough to me. Again, not great, but entertaining. Its IMDB rating is 5.1 (at 2,200 votes), pretty high compared to a lot of movies held in such low regard. By comparison, Pluto Nash has a 3.9 (but also over half the votes), and Waterworld has an almost respectable rating of 5.3 with 13,000 votes.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

"Gigli" or whatever that is would have to be the biggest flop now.I think it barely took in or just over a million this weekend and Sony pulled all promo spots.Didnt see that one comingI'm sure not as costly to make as Pluto Nash though.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

ugh...gigli looks 100% pure.......crapola on a stick. i would rather throw up than watch that movie...
    h
    Sampsonite! i was way off!

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneJediGirl
    "Gigli" or whatever that is would have to be the biggest flop now.I think it barely took in or just over a million this weekend and Sony pulled all promo spots.Didnt see that one comingI'm sure not as costly to make as Pluto Nash though.
    Gigli made like $3.8 million and cost $54 million, but spent $22 million on advertising (2 more than Pluto). That's way more than Pluto Nash.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I can't recall the name, but there was a kevin costner film (NOT waterworld) that onlymade 17,000 dollars at the box office... no other figures, though... anyone know the film to which I am referring??
    And Gigli..... even that guy with the golden voice couldn't make that movie seem anything more than crass and stupid.... a lighthearted "romance finds you" film about hit-men, both played by actors who have troubles even playing themselves?? The director saying it wasn't "the worst film I've ever seen?".... I saw an interview yesterday where affleck said he wanted to get deeper into production, behind-the-scenes style stuff.... wonder what prompted THAT??
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.