Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Pluto Nash :biggest flop ever???

i have not seen this new eddie murphy film, nor did i plan to, but it looks like i'm not the only one who thought it looked stupid. this film cost $90 million to make, along with $20 million in advertising costs and grossed a whopping $2 million in it's opening weekend.

this has got to be a record for the worst opening of a big budget film in history. looks like eddie murphy will have to make 'the klump's" parts 3-10 to make up for this one.

i thought this film would tank, but not this bad.
    Last edited by derek; 08-20-2002 at 10:24 PM.

I wonder? Is this even worse than Final Fantasy. I don't remember the numbers for it.
    This announcement has been brought to you by a generous grant from the Ranting Jonna Foundation
    "Helping to improve your life through nonsensical ravings for over 35 years"

i just checked box office mojo, and final fantasy made $11 million in it's opening weekend, and grossed $32 million in the U.S.
    those aren't great numbers, and i think FF bankurpted it's film company, but that was basically a cartoon with no stars in it. and i've heard the animators wasted a lot of money on unnecessary stuff.

but with "pluto nash", this is a big budget hollywood film starring a bankable movie star. i don't know what happened here. again, i thought it looked dumb, but i thought the same thing about "xXx" and that made big bucks, so what do i know.
    Last edited by derek; 08-20-2002 at 10:17 PM.

I was disappointed with it, however I do not think that it was bad enough for the company to go bankrupt. Whoever make Pluto Nash should be taken out to some dusty back road and shot.
    This announcement has been brought to you by a generous grant from the Ranting Jonna Foundation
    "Helping to improve your life through nonsensical ravings for over 35 years"

I wanted to see it even though the posters and trailers were crap (I blame whomever was in control of promoting this film, the promotions for it were attrocious, textbook way of how to NOT advertise your film).

Does anybody actually have anything to say about the film itself? (Details, not just a broad generalization)
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I haven't seen it, and I don't plan to. If you like Eddie Murphy, rent Holy Man, or Bowfinger - I really enjoyed those movies. I wonder what Water World (Kevin Costner) got opening weekend. I heard that is was the movie to gross the lowest earnings, compared to its cost.
    Urban Exploration - It's a rush!

I thought Bowfinger was funny, but not really because of Murphy.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I heard this movie was completed over a year ago, but they let it sit on the shelf for a while, and finally released it.

It looks like it is hooooooooorible.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

waterworld made $21 million it's opening weekend. it wasn't near the flop the media was hoping for, and eventually made it's money back, i believe.

but it's clear the studio didn't think pluto nash was any good. they "only" spent $20 million to advertise a $90 million film, while a low budget flick, like master of disguise($16 million to make) had an advertising budget of $32 million.

someone at warner bros. got fired over this, i bet/

Waterworld cost $175 million to make and it grossed $88 million domestically. It made $225 million worldwide so yes it did make it's money back.

Final Fantasy was a real big stinker, it cost $137 million to make and it took in $37 million domestically and $74 million worldwide.

So I'm pretty sure Pluto Nash won't be the biggest flop ever.
    [font=verdana]Madness take its toll. Please have exact change[/font]
    [font=verdana]Life's short and hard like a bodybuilding elf... - Blood Hound Gang [/font]
    I'm a trendy tote bag!