Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone Remeber, "The Monster Squad"??

This kind of ties in with my avatars for the rest of the week. But this movie was a modern classic. I loved watching it when I was younger, and I'm ticked off that it's not yet on DVD. It was sort of like "The Goonies" crossed with the Universal Monsters. It had all the biggies, Dracula, Frankenstein, Werewolf, The Mummy, and The Gillman. I ran across the old Japanese Laserdisc review of it on HorrorDVDs.com a while back, and the memories came flooding back. This movie was excellent, and hopefully it gets a DVD release soon. I was just curious if anyone else had fond memories of this film? Here's the plot synopsis from that review, and a link to where you can read more and see some pictures.

One hundred years ago in Transylvania, Dr. Abraham Van Helsing (Jack Gwillim) and a group of freedom fighters conspired to rid the world of vampires and monsters. They failed. Flash toward to current day (well, make that 1987). A group of misfit middle schoolers - Sean (Andre Gower), the leader; Patrick (Robby Kiger), Sean's best friend; Horace (Brent Chalem), also known as "fat kid", Rudy (Ryan Lambert), the bad boy from Junior High; and Phoebe (Ashley Bank), Sean's younger sister - run a monster club out of Sean's tree house. They're obsessed with everything monster related. So much so that they spend time in school making up and drawing monsters to put on the tree house walls. After school they spend most of the time discussing monsters and "Scary German Guy" - a mysterious old man that lives in the neighborhood that they believe is a monster.

The monster club is about to face the ultimate threat. Dracula (Duncan Regehr) has risen from his grave, determined to destroy a mystical amulet that will allow all evil to rule the earth. To help aid him in his quest, Dracula resurrects Frankenstein (Duncan Regehr), the Wolfman (Carl Thibault), the Mummy (Michael Reid MacKay), and Gillman (Tom Woodruff Jr.). Since Sean's father, Del (Stephen Macht), is a police detective, Sean learns of all the strange occurences happening in town. First a man claiming to be a werewolf is shot and seemingly killed, until the body disappears from the morgue later that night. Then a mummy disappears from the museum, even though there were no signs of a break-in. Sean puts two and two together and realizes there in an influx of monsters in town.

Sean's mother gives him Van Helsing's journal, which she found while cleaning out a church. The kids turn to "Scary German Guy" for an English translation of the German writings. It is then they learn of Dracula's apocalyptic intentions. Now the group of misfits, along with "Scary German Guy" and another unlikely ally, band together as the monster squad. They must use their expertise of monster folklore and the instructions in Van Helsing's journal to battle Dracula and his monster minions in hopes of sending them back to the netherworld before the amulet is destroyed.

http://horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/msquad-jld/

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monster squad poster.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	3574  
    Last edited by Beast; 08-27-2002 at 04:56 PM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

It was Goonies, but with all the classic monsters. Brilliant!
    This announcement has been brought to you by a generous grant from the Ranting Jonna Foundation
    "Helping to improve your life through nonsensical ravings for over 35 years"

That movie was great! I had to have watched it 10 times when I was a kid. I love the ending.

"Kick him in the nards!" Whack! "Whoa, Wolfman has nards."
    Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
    ~SK

Thanks for the quote correction Darth Shifty. I wasn't sure the nards quote in my sig was correct because I haven't seen the movie in years.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Of course I remember this flick ! I recall begging for a trip to the video store to rent it as a kid . . . I'd like to see it again.
    At least it's still available on video for that purpose . . .

I meant to come in here screaming about the Wolfman and his nards, but I was beaten to it!

Nice to see that you were a huge fan as well, Caesar. Hopefully since the movie has so many fans, we'll get a nice S.E. DVD release sometime in the near future. Because who wants to watch it on video.

Do a S.E. similar to the Goonies or Willy Wonka discs. Get the director and all the kids together and do an audio commentary. I'm sure there has to be deleted scenes and behind the scenes footage laying around from back then as well.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I've never seen the movie, but I used to love the tv show (on which the movie was based) as a kid. how could you not love a show that had the Universal monsters riding around in a hotdog truck.

JIm

The movie was not based on the cartoon, as far as I know. Becaue the monsters in the cartoon were all good guys that faught evil. The monsters in the movie were all evil, except of course for Frankenstein who switched sides and helped the kids out.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

It actually wasn't a cartoon, but a live action show. They probably took the title and concept from the tv show.

JIm

*Dad opens closet door*

"See? Theres nothing in there."

*kid covers his eyes then the Dad looks in just before he shuts the closet door and stands there stunned....*
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"