Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"

TV comes to DVD!

I was browsing through Best Buy the other day and I was suprised at how many Tv shows are getting the boxed season treatment. Once upon a time it seemed as if only the X-Files was worthy of season sets, but now everything from classic BBC stuff like the Avengers, to HBO's current hits like the Sopranos, Oz, and Sex and the City, to classic 70's sitcoms like All in the Family and M*A*S*H are getting the treatment. Even WB realized the error of it's ways and made Friends (and soon..South Park!)season sets rather than those stupid 'best of' sets.

Off the top of my head, here are some of the offerings you can now watch on DVD (besides those I've mentioned)

• Monty Python's Flying Circus
      MST3K
      Buffy, the Vampire Slayer
      Star Trek
      Star Trek:TNG
      The Prisoner
      Thunderbirds
      Mad About You
      Jeffersons
      Sanford & Son
      I Love Lucy
      Simpsons!
      TRANSFORMERS!!!

I may have forgotten some. I'm sure JJB can fill in the ones I've left out. So my question is which ones are you getting? Which ones are you skipping? Why?

ROLLO!
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

My two current favorite TV series on DVD's is "Farscape", and the 70's sitcom, "All in the Family". Only the first season is out so far, but more will be coming soon. I'm also own or am picking up: Planet of the Apes (TV Series), Jeffersons, Babylon 5, South Park, and probably many more.

There is plenty of upcoming releases. The new and old Masters of the Universe series is on the way. There is also 24, Outer Limits (Season Boxsets), Malcom in the Middle, Sports Night, Law and Order, and many many more on the way.

TV on DVD is huge, infact the studios are making a ton off them, and there have been articles in many DVD magazines about how well they sell. Sadly while some MST3k epsiodes are available on DVD, they can't do season sets because of rights problems.

What's really great news is that Universal just announced 10 series for the end of this year and into 2003 that will expand what is available. Can't wait, I have atleast 3-4 of them as must buys. Here's the news from TheDigitalBits.com.
    We've got some news today that is going to get you fans of classic Universal TV shows excited. The studio has officially announced that it is releasing Law & Order: The First Season (6 discs, SRP $99.98, all 22 episodes with introduction by producer Dick Wolf) on 10/15. Baretta: Season One will follow on 10/29 (3 discs, SRP $39.98, all 13 episodes), as will The Best of Baretta (SRP $19.98, includes the series pilot and 2 "bonus" episodes featuring Sammy Davis Jr).

Better still, Universal is hurriedly working to bring eight of its other classic series to disc as well. Slated for DVD release in the near future (late 2002 and early 2003) are Battlestar Galactica, Quantum Leap, Earth: Final Conflict, Sliders, Emergency, the original Dragnet, Magnum P.I. and The Rockford Files
    The best website to see what is coming, and what is available is http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/. Hopefully series like Married with Children, Futurama, Family Ties, and all those other successful TV shows will make their way to DVD soon. Family Guy is rumored for a holiday release.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 08-28-2002 at 01:21 AM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    See? I knew I could count on Emperor Jar Jar.

So far I have Monty Python's entire run.

I have the first two seasons of The Simpsons and the first Transformers set. I also have the original Rhino episodes of SouthPark so I can wait on those. (I hope Spirit of Christmas finds it's way onto the disc as an easter egg... )

I am toying with the idea of Sopranos, Sex and the City (for the missus) and M*A*S*H.

Quantum Leap and Magnum sound like fun, but I can't spread the wealth too thin. It's the one big drawback of having such a large selection. You can't afford everything! That's one reason I shied away from the ST:TNG sets. 7 seasons in under a year at $100+ each!?!? Sorry Paramount...rent comes first.

Law & Order is an excellent show, too, but it's licensed on so many cable networks I can watch four different shows a day. No need to spring for the DVDs.

ROLLO!
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

I still need to pick up the Monty Python boxset. Dropping that 120.00 smackers is hard though, especially with the Imperial Shuttle coming. Plus I hate ordering by mail-order, and thats the only way I can get such a good deal.

I heard that we likely won't see "The Spirit of Christmas", because it was paid for by some executive as a video christmas card, and Matt and Trey tried to get the rights back for it, and he wanted an insane ammount for it.

M*A*S*H is great. I have the first 2 sets, and while they are barebones they really are nice. Plus you can watch them as they were originally intended, with the laugh track off. It really doesn't help the episodes though, but it's nice it's there.

I'll probably go with Quantum Leap, BattleStar Galactica, and Sliders. I'm waffling on Earth: Final Contact and Magnum P.I. It depends on the price point of Universals sets. From what I understand, Season 1 of Quantum Leap is only the pilot and 7 episodes, so it shouldn't be too expensive.

I passed on Star Trek: The Next Generation for the exact same reasons. I would have liked to have picked up the series, but not at the pace they were releasing it. That is way to fast for many people to afford. I am glad that Farscape is every 6 weeks though, since they are not season boxsets.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Well, I think it's just fantastic that so many shows are being cranked out on DVD, keep 'em coming !

Myself, I collect The Simpsons and The Sopranos (season 3 came out yesterday ! ! ! :happy: )
    When HBO starts selling Curb Your Enthusiasm and Six Feet Under, I'll definitely be getting them.
    And now that Dennis Miller has been cancelled, they can hurry the hell up and release those too. Ever since HBO shifted the reruns from HBO Signature to HBO Comedy, I've not been able to complete my collection.

I hold out hope for Friday the 13th The Series, but I know the odds are wayyyyyyyyy long.

Yes, I really want ST: TNG since it's the only Trek I like - I'm turned off by the $100 tags too, BUT a local joint is selling them used for $60 per season. And the boxes aren't too damaged.
    So I think there is hope for me in owning these. If I have to sacrifice excessive shelf wear for a $40 cut, I'll take it !

Heck, I liked Quantum Leap, but I wouldn't ever buy it. But I can certainly rent the set and give it a once over!

Wow, $60 smackers a season. Damn Caesar that is a sick deal for the Star Trek: TNG DVD seasons. Are they opened as well, or just have shelf wear?

Friday The 13th always has a chance. Even though it has nothing to do with the movie series, there is always a chance. Heck, I am hearing rumblings of Freddy's Nightmares TV series next year, so anything is possible.

A friend keeps recommending that I pick up the Buffy Season Sets, but I would rather rent them first. Sadly every video store in town doesn't have the series for rent. I do plan on renting Sopranos, one of these days.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Oops, I'm sorry, I didn't specify that it's a used video game/DVD/CD place. So yes, they are opened.

I paid the full $80 price on Seasons 1 and 2 of the Sopranos, they are worth every penny. Not sure how much I'll be paying for Season 3 today . . .

I might buy All in the Family sometime, but the price would have to be just right. I like the show a lot, but for now I'm satisfied with catching it on TVLand. They really only have one (or is it 2?) commercial break, so I'm not in any rush . . . but if I see it used for $20 or less, it's mine ! :happy:

JarJarBinks, is there a Costco near you? I got the Monty Python set for my birthday a year ago, and it apparently cost somewhere in the $85-100 range.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I would indeed be a happy camper if they released both Seinfeld and Gilligan's Island on DVD. Oh, imagine the bonanza of giggles to be had with those two!
    -Bob
    I am blind to the value of this pain...

Originally posted by Caesar
    I might buy All in the Family sometime, but the price would have to be just right. I like the show a lot, but for now I'm satisfied with catching it on TVLand. They really only have one (or is it 2?) commercial break, so I'm not in any rush . . . but if I see it used for $20 or less, it's mine ! :happy:
    All in the Family is worth it. And it can be had new for less then $20, because the first season is only 13 episodes. Ive compared the episodes on the discs, that run about 26 minutes an episode with the ones on TV land. They only run 22 minutes long, so you are missing about 4 minutes of the show on TVLand.

Originally posted by El Chuxter
    JarJarBinks, is there a Costco near you? I got the Monty Python set for my birthday a year ago, and it apparently cost somewhere in the $85-100 range.
    Nope, no Costco around here. Which really sucks because I want the set, but I hate mail order. Oh well, maybe I can pick a set up off Ebay sometime. I'm in no hurry, since the set isn't going to be discontinued anytime soon.

Originally posted by stormie
    I would indeed be a happy camper if they released both Seinfeld and Gilligan's Island on DVD. Oh, imagine the bonanza of giggles to be had with those two!
    Gilligan's Island is getting restored for a possible DVD release, so there is a good chance. Seinfeld is a problem though, because Jerry Seinfeld said that he doesn't want to release it on DVD, because it's making decent money in syndication and a DVD release will hurt the syndication.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks