Hasbro knows articulation???

That was shocking to say. After seeing all the AOTC figs come out,I was disappointed at the lack of poseability. I saw the Bespin Luke figure and had a glimmer of hope for the future. That is my major complaint about Star Wars figures today. They can't just be stuck in an action pose from the movie,that's why we have the unleashed figures and the other statue-type toys for. To be an action figure one must be capable of action,numerous poses,and playability. I know Hasbro can do this because they're now doing it in the 3 3/4 GI JOE line. The new Snake Eyes II figure has 16 points of articulation and has holsters w/ removable pistols. If they can do that for GI JOE,they can start doing it for Star Wars.

LightsaberHandle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imgp4806.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	3588  

The problem with that much articulation on figures this small, is that it really takes away from the look of the figure. The Star Wars design team prefers movie accuracy, and includes articulation only when it can be well hidden, and doesn't take away from the sculpt.

Just look how bad ole Snake Eyes looks with all those joints. I much prefer the way that Hasbro does it now, with figures getting basic articulation, and some recieving more if it can be hidden well.

Not to mention in figures this small, all those articulation points over time can get weak and then your figure won't be able to stand up and it's limbs will be loose. We lived with 5 points of articulation in the vintage line. I can deal with the ammount they put into their figures now.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I prefer the way the Star Wars line hides the joints compared to the ugly ones on the GI Joe. The style of joints like on the CTC Stormtrooper or Saga Bespin Luke figures are much more subtle.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

I agree that less articulation means better looking figures. On one hand,I'd like to see more authenticly detailed figures,but on the other I want figures that can be manipulated into several poses. That's why I had more GI JOE toys as a kid than Star Wars. They were simply more fun to play with. Children don't want display pieces like adults do,they want action figures they can twist and bend into pretzels. People have to remember that these toys are meant for kids,not just the collector. Not to mention, more articulation would help keep us from getting more agonizing resculpts of core characters. That's just my opinion.

LightsaberHandle

I like a lot of articulation, too. I just don't like the look of the joints on GI Joe. Not only is it ugly, they get loose and almost unposeable over time(well, the GI Joes I had back in the 80s did).

Hasbro has to walk that fine line between appearance, play value, and durability. I don't envy making that choice. I've noticed more figures are starting to have 7 points of articulatioin rather than the normal 5.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Hey, his shoulders looks kinda like the SAGA "Quick Draw" Padme'.

But seriously, I am a BIG advocate of articulation. I also agree that too much of a good thing can hurt a figure.

The problem with the SAGA line is that sometimes figures have LESS than 5 points of articulation. Many of the legs seem to be one piece hunks of plastic, which I suppose eliminates the problem of having molded plastic waist skirts (ALA EP1 Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon). No more complaints about "But I can't move his legs".

But hey they make up for it by sticking a button in their back and having an arm move up and down when you push it. Or some other silly thing.

I don't need 20+ points of articulation...really. But it would be nice if Hasbro went back to a more neutral pose and gave us a couple of extra points of articulation. Here are some things that Hasbro could standardize quite well, without loss to, sculpt, or long term quality:

Wrist articulation (ESPECIALLY for any Jedi)
    Knee articulation (for most figures...if they can pull it off with POTJ Mechanic Ani...they can pull it off almost anywhere)
    Swivel elbows (maybe not for all figures, but for many of the "Action" characters)

I have less of a problem with "Scene Specific" posed figures if they are 25th Anniversary Sets or something outside the regular line.

Just my 2 cents.
    May the force be with you.

SK99 makes a lot of good points. I'd like to add that the 45-degree elbow (similar to the POTJ Rebel Fleet Trooper's knees) would really help pilot figures like Luke Pilot who should be shown grasping their ship's flight controller in the center of the seat.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I have to say that I don't buy the argument that Hasbro limits articulation for the sake of maintaining movie acuracy. I am certain that the reason is more likely to be maintaining profit margin. If you look at enough figures, you will see that Hasbro has shown quite well that articulation can be done in MOST instances without causing problems with the look of the figure. Maybe 32 points of articulation would take away from the figure's look, but in almost all cases I would go out on a limb and say that 16 would not.

Lets see:

Ball joint neck - 1
    Ball joint shoulders - 2
    Upper arm rotate - 2
    Elbow bend - 2
    wrist bend/rotate - 2
    ball joint waiste - 1
    ball joint hip - 2
    knee bend - 2
    ankle bend/rotate - 2

This articulation would make a good basic figure.
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

That much articulation ups the price again. And some of them are totally unnecissary. Hasbro has already said that they add articulation to figures that need it like Luke: Bespin. But to pay for all the extra molds and assembly that requires, they have to go with basic articulation for figures that don't need to be heavily articulated. It works the same way with large and small figures. Or figures that have alot of paint applications, compared to figures that don't need as many. It all works out so that all the figures cost the same to produce.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.