Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Who saw the pretender GNR on MTV last night?

That was the most disgusting hoax I've ever seen! An old psycho who likes to pretend he's still in his glory days even though he loses his breath after one verse of the first song? And what was that "band" he had? Looks like after he fired the real talent, he went to a stinking circus looking for half-witted clowns to fill out the roster!

Sorry, but it's not GNR without Slash. Axl and Slash are both as vital to that band as Mick and Keith are to the Stones. Without either, it's not the same.

And Axl looks like he could take tips in aging well from David Lee Roth. Not to mention that even Brian Wilson thinks he's completely insane.

From here forward, I propose that we all refer to anything after The Spaghetti Incident? as the work of a bad cover band called The-b*****d-cover-band-stealing-the-name-of-one
    -of-the-greatest-bands-of-all-time-whose-name-I-shall-not-defile
    -by-mentioning-it-in-the-same-sentence-as-Axl's-current-gang-of-losers.
    W Axl Rose needs to be flogged with whips soaked in yak spit. Any solo release by any of the other Gunners is a million times better than the garbage he does with his cover band. Yes, even Duff's pretty miserable Believe In Me.

Viva Guns Sans Rose!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

El Chuxter,

i prefer "the axl rose band" seriously, i don't know why he dosen't use that name for his band. it's been so long since they put an album out, half the music buying public has no idea who Guns 'n Roses is anyway.

i didn't see the performance, were they really bad, or do you just miss the glory days of Guns n' Roses?

just curious, but did you have the same reaction when metallica cut their hair?

I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the glory days, but. . . .

The performance last night was disappointing, even after the huge letdown that was "Oh My God" on the End of Days soundtrack three years ago. I should say that I think Buckethead's a pretty good guitarist, and I like some of his solo stuff, but have him playing classic GNR licks and the difference between pretty good and excellent becomes painfully obvious.

And the look was wrong! I know I'm being a bit hypoctrical, as I preach about the music being important, but it was ridiculous. The last time we saw GNR, there was a slightly nuts lead singer leading four (five if you count Dizzy) guys who made street rats look good. Last night, Axl and Dizzy looked the same--only older. The drummer was a normal-looking dude, the bassist looked like he was trying to be in some grunge band (and trying to steal Duff McKagen's latter-day spiked hairdo). One guitarist (Finck?) looks like a reject from Marilyn Manson, wearing heavy makeup. And Buckethead. . . Jeeeeez, I thought it was a stage name! He had a white mask, a yellow raincoat, and (of course) a big bucket on his head--he seriously looked like a deranged clown!

I can't wait to hear what the other Gunners (who I seriously think should start a band called Guns Sans Rose*) think of this mockery.

And, BTW, I'm probably the only longtime Metallica fan alive who didn't mind when they cut their hair and actually prefers the post-Justice days.

*--Guns Sans Rose features Slash on lead guitar; Gilby and Izzy trading off rhythm guitar, second lead guitar, and vocals; Duff on bass and vocals; Matt on drums; and the Suicide Horns.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Was that a KFC bucket with "Funeral" written below it?

That was really pathetic. And leave it to MTV to make all the announcers react like music history had just happened. What a joke..... I dont' really listen to that kind of music anymore, but I was still excited to see what was going to go down. Axl started singing and did a little jog on stage, then he just started wheezing and could barely do a song line without breaking for a breath. And to get so excited about a GNR return when the band really wasn't there..... just kind of sad.......

Re: Who saw the pretender GNR on MTV last night?

Originally posted by El Chuxter
    That was the most disgusting hoax I've ever seen! An old psycho who likes to pretend he's still in his glory days even though he loses his breath after one verse of the first song? And what was that "band" he had? Looks like after he fired the real talent, he went to a stinking circus looking for half-witted clowns to fill out the roster!

Sorry, but it's not GNR without Slash. Axl and Slash are both as vital to that band as Mick and Keith are to the Stones. Without either, it's not the same.

And Axl looks like he could take tips in aging well from David Lee Roth. Not to mention that even Brian Wilson thinks he's completely insane.

From here forward, I propose that we all refer to anything after The Spaghetti Incident? as the work of a bad cover band called The-b*****d-cover-band-stealing-the-name-of-one
    -of-the-greatest-bands-of-all-time-whose-name-I-shall-not-defile
    -by-mentioning-it-in-the-same-sentence-as-Axl's-current-gang-of-losers.

W Axl Rose needs to be flogged with whips soaked in yak spit. Any solo release by any of the other Gunners is a million times better than the garbage he does with his cover band. Yes, even Duff's pretty miserable Believe In Me.

Viva Guns Sans Rose!
    In my opinion it was a p*ss poor performance that Axel gave to the audience and the band looked like something from out of a bad horror movie. It was definitely not vintage GNR from where I was sitting, I didn't even know who it was until I heard Axel trying to sing or catch his breath, or whatever came first.

You are correct in saying that it's not GNR anymore without the key members of the band. The new band name should be Axel and his band of freaks that couldn't sing or play if their lives depended on it. No chemistry what so ever, not like the original band had of course. They need Slash more than ever right now, so Axel might as well take the stick out of his A** and hire him back. What the hell is going on in his pea brain anyways? Too much booze and drugs has probably clouded his vision. It's time for him to wake up and smell the coffee for God's sake!

I love the old stuff, but I'm not even interested at all in the new material, so I won't be buying any of that crap what so ever. They are in my opinion remnants of what could have been a great band that lost their way and key band members, to become just another has been group in the eyes of many.
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!

this new guns 'n roses album has to be really bad. how many years has it been delayed now? it seems like it was supposed to come out the last 2 summers in a row. i have not heard any of the new songs, but i heard the band got decent reviews when they played las vegas last new year's eve.

i just don't get bands like GNR or van halen who kep the same name when key members leave. sure i hope eddie van halen and axl rose put out new music, but the marketing ploy of keeping the same band name is kinda lame when it isn't the same band .

at least billy corgan isn't calling his new band the smashing pumpkins, even though it is 2/3 of the old group.

I am a latecomer to GNR and didn't really get into their stuff until a couple of years ago. My favorite album has to be Use Your Illusion II (or whichever one had the blue cover).

As for Metallica, I didn't really get interested in their music until the black album and really loved the Load and Re-Load albums. The best music in their library IMO. Didn't their bassist just quit though? Any word on a new one? Or the continued existence of the band?
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Well, there is no replacement 'Tallica bassist yet, but recently when they showed up to do a club gig, Bob Rock filled in on bass.

I love both Illusions albums, I can't choose a favorite. But I kinda lead toward I, I love Alice Cooper being on "The Garden", and Izzy doing vox on "Double Talkin' Jive" is GREAT. :happy:

Wow, now I need to get out all of their CDs and have a listen !

Use Your Illusions 1 and 2 were great works, but tame and pale compared to Appetite for Destruction. 'Sweet Child o' Mine' and 'Paradise City' are two of my favourite songs ever.
    "Luke' I am your father!"

"You may be my father, but who's your daddy!?!"