Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation MicroMachines and Titaniums

My Titanium Series SW vehicles collection is becoming more and more large, taking a lot of space in my "museum" room, and I was wondering whether the models in this line have already outnumbered the MicroMachines ones.

I got a contradictory answer.

There are 87 vehicles in the MicroMachines lines (OT Vehicles collections, Shadows of the Empire, Epic Collections, and Episode I Figure/Vehicle Collections, counting just the vehicles). If we subtract the reissues (battle damaged ships, Speederbike with Luke, Leia, etc.) there are 72 unique vehicles.

While in the Titanium Series there are 101 SW vehicles (Wal-Mart Exclusive, 5-packs, mass retail single packs, counting just the vehicles and not counting silver or gold ones). But if we subtract the repaints there are just 48 unique vehicles! (not to mention the fact that many of them are reissues of the Die-Cast line)

We already knew this, but to see the math is still shocking: in the Titanium Series we have more repaints than actual vehicles.

Yes I know we have to be thankful just to have a line of small SW vehicles, but I wonder if this different rate of reissues/repaints is really due to a big change in the toy market in these years (from 1994 to now), or if it is due to the company attitude (Hasbro).

I often read the "Hasbro Q&A", and the Hasbro people answering look like they are real SW fans, but 53 repaints in 101 vehicles! Il looks like they are exploiting us a little too much, imho.

Ciao,
    JediGoofy
    R2Dee2 and Vulcantouch, always remembered, always missed. :-(

I am not surprised by the fact that it is more repaints in the series. The Slave 1 has been done 4 times(Jango, Boba, UGH, Firespray ship)
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Nice math! You should add a question to the Q&A thread about this, we've kinda danced around the issue in the past but hard numbers really deliver the point solidly.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'm going to bet their reponse would be something about it being easier to produce more unique models when it's small bits of plastic rather than "die-cast" models that are 2-3 times the size.

Though even a single new vehicle release probably helps the line more than constantly releasing repaints.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I dunno about that. Hasbro's business model has always been to sell the same toy multiple times over through a new deco - Mr Potato Head, GI Joe, GI Joe A Real American Hero, even Transformers - it's built into their business model, but with Star Wars it's not as much, and they should be running Titaniums the same way. That said, it can have a negative impact, like I'd say we're seeing with Titaniums.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Smile

Thank you for the suggestion JT, I just posted my votes and a new question in the current "Questions for Hasbro - round 35" thread.

Please feel free to modify the question if you think it is not suitable for the Q&A with Hasbro.

Moreover, JT and LTBasker, I borrowed some words from your posts, I hope is ok with you. Thank you.

Ciao,
    JediGoofy

Here are some repaints for the line JT if you want to add it in:

Slave 1 mold -4 times
    Arc - 3 times
    B-wing - 2 times
    A-wing 2 times
    Falcon - 3 times
    Death Star - 2 times
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.

Wink Guinness "SW" Records

Hey KH,
    other "repaint" records to be added to yours :

X-wing - 4 times (red 5, red 3, Wedge's red 2, Dagobah)
    Speeder Bike - 4 times (biker scout, Luke, Leia, Paploo)
    Republic Gunship - 4 times (red, green, Clone Wars, dark green)

and the winner is ...

ROTS Jedi Starfighter - 6 times (Anakin's yellow, Anakin's green, Obi Wan's red, Obi Wan's blue, Mace Windu's purple, Vader's (!) black)

Of these I can condone the Speeder Bike, because it has different drivers (and Paploo is very funny ).

Ciao,
    JediGoofy

Falcon 5 times. Gold, Silver, Clean, Damaged and ROTS Blue Trim.

Dont forget about Plo Koons Fighter and Kit Fistos fighter also and the hyperspace ring versions.

I forgot about the Gold and Silver Falcons. Might as well toss the X-wings in there and the Tie Fighters