Poll: What do you think of the new Episode II Hasbro package?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by Wooooof
    BTW, JediTricks, I don't think POTF's "painful, quick death" was in any way due to the card design. I think that had more to do with Star Wars fever dying out in 1985.
    I wasn't suggesting that the card design was the major factor in POTF's death - although I personally feel it did have something to do with it - my point was actually that if you're gonna emulate something, it's probably unwise to emulate something that didn't succeed.

Candidat, AMEN!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Originally posted by JediTricks
    I wasn't suggesting that the card design was the major factor in POTF's death - although I personally feel it did have something to do with it - my point was actually that if you're gonna emulate something, it's probably unwise to emulate something that didn't succeed.
    That's a 10-4 good buddy! Read you loud and clear!

I figured it more emulated the original packaging myself but what do I know?

I personally think the card is amazing. I like the fact that it is a generic card with a film and character specific sticker on the bubble. Wooooof stated that it would end up in the trash once he opened it when he got home. My cards rarely make it that far, but that's not the point. I like the fact that the card and the bubble allow for a little more "display" of the figures. I wish the figures weren't as "posed" looking, but there are so many schools of thought on that so I won't go there.

I think the figure looks pretty decent overall and I think the packaging is a nice nod to the vintage line while keeping the whole line fresh.

Well done!!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I do like it!

The packaging has a vintagey kind of quality while still being very unvintage. The blue is a welcome color as is the hands holding the lightsaber icon. I prefer this much more to the somewhat crappy drawing of Maul in the corner. Everyone has wanted blue backgrounds and now we get blue.

As for some of the ones here complaining, with all due respect, I honestly do not know what you guys want with packaging; I some of you out there can design totally specific card designs that could blow this new one out of orbit, but come on, we have to be realistic - generic cards have become the standard for most modern toy companies and as generic goes, these are pretty sweet!

new card design: B
    POTJ: B-
    Episode I: C
    all various POTF2: C

obi wan's saber

obi wan's saber looks like the old ones as opposed to the new style in the yet to be released eeth koth, the jedi council member.
    what's the deal here?

and i don't think this is a delux figure. it has a title of "coruscant chase" denoting an event in the film, like the previous figures did.

and jeditricks, your description was dead on. these look like something a company would produce if they were making unauthorized star wars toys. i could just see the exact same packaging, with the "SPACE WARZ" label at the top, with a recast and repainted blue obi wan or some crap like this!

It seems that the majority of collectors on this board really like the new packaging while JT, myself, and a few others dislike it.

I wonder if lines are split between carded collectors and loose collectors or if like/dislike transcends how one keeps their figures.

Just for the record, I am a carded collector and really dislike the packaging. The POTF hologram packaging is like gold wrapping paper next to the excrement of the upcoming line.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Thumbs down

I dont like it...its just too simple...reminds me of micromachines...i have nothing against micromach...but...oh well...i hope they change it. Yep, i votted and it sucks BIG time...
    As always...........L

I like the packaging, especially the color and vintage style border, however, I'd prefer an off-center blister bubble so the figures can stack neatly in their cases they'll ship in, as well as hope they'd leave room to add full-size movie shot pictures like they did back in the days of the 12-backs.

"For the record" I buy only the figures I'll need to open for dioramas, but as I've ran out of room to set up everything I want to, I'll keep an Episode II carded wall up at least until Episode III.

Hopefully, I'll need more than 1 of characters like Dexter Jettster so I can open one right away. If not, I prefer my wall to look mint, at least for a couple years until I pull 'em down and put up E3.

[My current wall has only year 2000 and later figures up, as I'm tired of the red cards, though the last waves of each Ep1 red cards are up with my POTJ - but only POTJ from E1 - I opened my Classic figures right away, and put them in scenes I already had going on here]

Originally posted by Wooooof

That's a 10-4 good buddy! Read you loud and clear!

I figured it more emulated the original packaging myself but what do I know?
    Heh heh, in my original post, I mentioned that I thought the POTF'85 packaging was taken from the original '78 SW packaging, so on that, I agree with you... from a certain point of view.

Originally posted by derek
    and jeditricks, your description was dead on. these look like something a company would produce if they were making unauthorized star wars toys. i could just see the exact same packaging, with the "SPACE WARZ" label at the top, with a recast and repainted blue obi wan or some crap like this!
    That was too funny!!! I love it! "All your faverite caractors from SPACE WARZ" and the company doesn't even put their name on the packaging.

Candidat, I'm a total card-opener, I'm a loose collector, so I don't think it goes down that party line. I think those who don't like it really will fall under both sides of that discussion.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Like the packaging, but not SS's Spoilers!

Oh, it's an ASSASSIN DROID! And here I thought I was just voting in a poll! Thanks for the unwanted SPOILER, SirSteve. Didn't you have anywhere else to put this poll?