Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Registered
    Still live in logan WV for the 3rd freaking time!

OK..Fine..Terrance Stamp

He still should have gotten more lines and screen time than the binks. I am stil a die hard fan of The Star Wars Movies. Just not really of EP1. There were good parts. One of the most amazing saber battles, Lots of cool droids roaming around except the Roger Roger bots. Some fun space battles. The cool sounds and looks of the pod race minus the announcer of course. But then there are all the down sides too. Young darth sorta like jesus? Eventually he will rise up and come free the slaves?? just kinda sad. All the gungans seem like they were droped on thier head as children. Poor qui gon seemed like he was asleep the whole show
    But this forum is about the new packaging. My complain should ahve stopped at the fact that they intend to change the packaging twice in the next 7 months. I am just worried that the inbetween emperors wrath and the EP2 beginning will turn up like the CTC trilogy figs. most will be easy..2 will be hard and 1 will be super hard and everyone will pay too much for it and then it will show up at TRU for a dollar.
    My thougts are just wait and change when EP2 does and then we can complain if it sucks in hand or not
    Everyone relax. You like It..I don't..such is the nature of man. If everyone liked everythign the same how utterl boring a world would this be?
    Chad
    Good hunting to all

Originally posted by bigbarada
    Don't worry about sharing your opinions Wooooof, some of us just get a little over-emotional at times. I understand what you are saying JT, and I will try to play nice from now on. (BTW, could you send a similar message to all the Ep1 haters who constantly haunt the Ep1 threads?)
    Sometimes I really have to double check to make sure this is a Star Wars fan site I am on. Especially since it seems that only voices of dissention and angry, rude rants against Star Wars, GL, Hasbro, etc. are acceptable here by the staff. If guys like JT and Thrawn just absolutely hate every single little new tidbit of info about Star Wars then why do you work here? I really don't understand the mentality here. And why does someone like me who admanantly defends Star Wars come under attack for rude, angry posts? Are all the rude, angry anti-Star Wars, GL, Hasbro, etc. posts acceptable? Did this become a Star Wars hate site without anyone telling me? If so I've been wasting my time here the last few months.
    Are there two bigbarada posters using the same account? What the björk is with these 2 opposing posts from the same day, and they're only one post apart no less?

Let me explain again, if you want to discuss a differing point of view, that's fine so long as you try to respect others' opinions, but don't just start calling others names like "whiners" because they don't agree with you, and don't flame the post over and over.

I am a huge fan of the first 3 Star Wars movies, but that doesn't mean I love every moment just because it came from Lucasfilm. There are some things I like about the prequels, but between the incredibly awful marketing decisions, the abusive treatment that Hasbro and LFL took with the fans, and other prequel-related elements, I'm not 100% thrilled with everything wearing the "Star Wars" brand name. Does that make me not a fan? If you think so, then [font=arial]you are wrong[/font], plain and simple.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

BTW, this is what the new packaging reminds me of: spacewarz.jpg

(A huge thanks to derek for focusing the feeling, and coming up with the name)

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Thumbs up

Thumbs up on the "improved" EP2 packaging! I couldn't express my feelings any better.

BTW, the "Hey kid, don't choke...or sue" tag line on the top corner is a nice crowning touch.

Five stars to JT and derek.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Hmmmmmm, interesting. Veeeery interesting.....

Obviously Lucas is trying to raise pots of cash otherwise there wouldn't have been so many licenses granted for crap episode one merchandise

George doesn't really control the toy line cuz that's mostly down to Lucas licensing surely? He has staff that sign and approve these designs for him surely? He's busy making a movie surely?
    I agree up to a point that he seems to have lost track somewhat with certain elements. Allowed his judgement to become clouded by sentiment and merchandise driven financing. But he still makes a great movie as far as most of the editing goes and his choice of designs is pretty sharp mostly.

It is unfair to diss Lucas for every little thing you don't like about star wars. Lord knows I've done my fair share of dissing. I'm not going to be hypocritical here, but this new card back is just the product of opinions, lots of them. Hasbro have listened to many voices in forums like these, they've brainstormed at hasbro HQ. They've talked with Lucas licensing and what we have is a result of all those opinions being distilled into a lousy piece of flimsy printed card that comes attached to a toy that's supposed to be ripped off the card and played with while the card hits the garbage bin.
    it isn't worth fighting over. The fight should be over whether or not the content of the bubble is worthy of ever being produced in the first place. Is it quality goods or shameless cashing in. Is it good value for money or have we been given a useles piece of junk with the brand name attached.
    If you just buy stuff because it has star wars written on the box then you can just buy any knock off goods in flea markets to have your fix. I buy only the things that seem well made. Only the things that interest me for the quality and detail of workmanship.
    I open everything as it is intended and even those intended for display in the packaging like the 300th Boba Fett and the exclusives. Because I want to appreciate the quality goods first hand not view them like a museum piece in the packaging.
    And speaking of museums, Those who keep them packaged and display them museum style like Philip Wise the webmaster of rebelscum.com, should just accept the new packaging for what it is - just another chapter in the history of the toy line, different, unusual. These same negative comments were bandied around when the POTJ packaging first appeared and it hasn't killed most peoples collecting habit.
    I'm not over the moon about this new style but it's just a phase. It'll only be around for a year or so before Hasbro change their mind and their design policy again. Don't sweat it over a piece of card.

BTW, I think it's my fault actually, check out the 'what colour should the ep2 cards be' thread... shocking isn't in it...

Hey, JT how'd you get two quotes to show up in the same post? Sorry about the schizophrenic posting but you caught me at the beginning and end of a REALLY crappy day. (I seem to be having a lot of those recently.) Remember my comment about overemotional? Just keep that in mind for future reference.

Oh well, if you really hate it, just remember Hasbro makes it their policy to redesign the cards every year or so to "freshen" the line. Not something Hasbro chooses to do, just something retailers want to keep customers from getting bored with the merchandise. Don't blame Hasbro, blame Wal-Mart and K-Mart and TRU and KB and Target and......

I was almost the first to reply to this post. The content reminded me of a similar story regarding the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the original Mirage Studios comic, that is). I began a lengthy description of that particular instance, then realized, in all fairness to Snake, he has as much right to pan as many of us have to praise. I could go on about my thoughts about his comments, but others have shared or rejected his views, so there is certainly enough said in that regard.

I have mixed feelings about JT's interjections in regard to Big Barada's comments, however. I am certainly glad I did not post my original thoughts, though they recognized Snake's right to his opinion, they would have excercised an equal right on my part to explore my disagreements, as well as agreements.

As for the figure's articulation, I would drop SWAF collecting in a heartbeat if Hasbro released GI Joe looking figures. Too much articulation ruins the figure, SW has always been about striking the balance between sculpt and articulation. What would be the point of having a good sculpt if it is only to be ruined by too many robotic looking joints?

Now here's something I have to agree with wholeheartedly. I will further explain that this does not mean that I love all of the choices Hasbro makes. If this post has shown us anything, it is that so many (not all) people here cannot see beyond stark black and white on issues. You are either for Hasbro or against Hasbro, for Lucas or against Lucas. I think if one reads the full content of many of these posts and not simply zero in on a few key words, one can see that we all have things we love and hate about all aspects of that which is Star Wars.
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

M.C., glad you dig it, I think it sums up this new packaging quite nicely too. The "hey kid, don't choke" part started running through my brain as soon as I realized I didn't want the Hasbro choke warning, and I immediately thought of an old SNL sketch; the "... or sue" was all me though. I actually cracked up the most when I came up with "Obi-Man" though, it still is making me chuckle.

Jargo, I throw out the POTJ packaging after I open my figures, so my views of the new packaging have nothing to do with keeping it. However, I think if the packaging is repulsive to many buyers, then the line will die before we get the figures we want (think of the original '85 POTF). True, I'd prefer to concentrate on the products, but there are other concerns that are affected by this stuff and this packaging really looks that bad to me, so I mentioned it. Does that mean I, and others who agree with me, should be attacked for our viewpoints? No.

Barada, you can have LOTS of quotes in your posts, the quote system can be done manually, you can add the various formatting yourself.

Sorry you had a crappy day, it was a REAL shocker to see such a wide difference of statement between the 2 posts, that kinda shook me. I'm glad we can move past this and discuss the real issue, how the packaging looks... bad. I just had a big issue the other day with the personal stuff about the posters, it wasn't meant to come down on you personally.

Cole, see the previous paragraph about the issue.

As for the "black & white" issue of Hasbro AND the "robotic" joints, I think they proved they can do fantastic articulation with figures like Commtech Stormtrooper where the joints don't look unnatural, yet even there, they didn't put a SIMPLE wrist articulation point in. I prefer neutral poses with tons of articulation myelf, but I also don't like joints that are ugly like Anakin Mechanic or CTC Luke.

i can't believe this! snake-whatever, you should be greeatful for lucas...you buy the stuff, you watch the movie, you collect, you should be grateful!

If you want idea of what type of cardback I wanted, check out this site:

http://people.ne.mediaone.net/kpaq/cards/original.html

The Episode II packaging would've been right on the money.

I was thinking of a pack-in since force files are worthless and people seem to despise COMMTech. I think the problem with COMMTech is that the majority of the chips, as mentioned earlier, are nothing more than Stephen Hawking doing the voices. COMMTech had no value.

Now if COMMTech had a "duel" feature besides the movie quotes, it could've been more accepted. What would occur is with the reader, you would tell it how many characters involved, say the fight between Darth Maul, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, 1 vs 2, and then you would use their chips to get a result of who lives and dies.

I wouldn't mind seeing how many Jawas a Tusken Raider could take on. Or Darth Sidious against himself as the elder Emperor.

Then again, how about stopping with extras altogether - force files, COMMTech chips, holograms, and keep the price low?

Snake Plissken
    "A little human compassion"

Post Script: Ki, considering the depth of your posts, no wonder you follow Lucas blindly.