Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thumbs up

That's dangerous ground you tread Wolfwood319, watch your step around these parts.

Needless to say I agree with you completely. I asked my brother the other day why he doesn't like posting on these forums and he basically said that he likes to stay away from "Star Wars Hate Sites" like SSG. His basic idea is if the moderators and staff members have really nothing good to say then how can they call it a fan site?

I agree with him on some points, since to the casual visitor who comes here to talk about the latest Star Wars news is bombarded with angry, negative, hateful insults to Star Wars. What are they expected to think?
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

It must be hard to talk with all this HOT AIR flowing around here.

Barada, this statement seems quite rude to the staff:
    if the moderators and staff members have really nothing good to say then how can they call it a fan site?
    Perhaps you guys just don't READ all the stuff you consider to be out of the "nothing good to say" category written by the staff here, perhaps you are harping on the negative comments because you're not looking for the positive ones. Nobody said being a fan meant being a Lucasfilm cheerleader.

Wolfwood and the rest of you folks saying this stuff, maybe you should try to find something more positive to say than "if you don't like it, stop posting" as if you really know what makes these people fans or as if you have a legitimate judgement to make on someone else's opinions. This isn't a site just for folks who have only one agreeing opinion about everything Star Wars, and those so-called "negative" folks aren't trying to infringe upon your opinions of Star Wars in general, so why infringe upon their's? Obviously these people are Star Wars fans enough that they're willing to discuss their grievances with certain elements and risk getting trashed over their views in the hopes that somehow this might give the next Star Wars film, toy, book, or whatever a better chance at living up to the Star Wars legacy of magic.

Reading the first post in this thread should have clued you "anti-whining" whiners in on the direction the thread was taking, I mean the guy starts the thread saying I logged on moments ago to witness what I believe what will the beginning of the end for my Star Wars collecting. If you took the time to read the opening post, you should KNOW this isn't a thread that's in favor of the packaging and if you don't agree, you can state your argument, but why waste everybody's time getting all flustered at the support Snake's getting for his negative view of the packaging? This is ridiculous, please, let's have more comments about the packaging and less about the posters.

Part of what makes Star Wars great is that it's a rich tapestry of characters and motivations and philosophies and myths all rolled into a great big saga - not every character is a rebel commander who dreams of toppling the evil Empire, not every villain motivated by the Dark Side of the Force. Just because you don't see eye to eye with some other fans doesn't mean they are any less of a Star Wars fan than you; Star Wars isn't just one movie, it's cobbled together from the 4 (going on 5) films, the TV specials and cartoons, the toys, the books, the games, the comics, etc., so not every view on all that is going to add up to yours because it is that rich tapestry of ideals and opinions that makes these forums - and Star Wars fandom as a whole community - something special.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I agree.

Who has the right or moral authority to tell me what I should like or dislike. I do NOT like everything Star Wars. Anyone who told me they did I would question. I'm not a fan of most of the novels but I would GREATLY take to task anyone saying I am not a fan.

I will like what I like and will allow everyone else the right to like or dislike what they will without making judgements.

JT, that was just me voicing my brother's opinion of the site based on what he saw when he visited after the Ep2 title announcement. If you look at the old threads you'll find him somewhere in the EP2 section under the name 'padawanob1'

Personally I really hate EU, not the actual idea of an expanded universe, just the direction the writers decided to take it. It could have been a cool mythological kind of story about Luke rebuilding the Jedi Order; but instead we got military sci-fi. I believe that the novels can be totally disregarded and deleted from Star Wars continuity with no loss at all to the Star Wars magic.

However, I see the movies as "straight from the horses mouth" so to speak. Right now we are in the middle of the story that already has an established beginning and end; so we are just waiting for the peices to come together. Most of the hateful criticisms leveled at Ep1 and 2 are just the result of impatience in my mind. Therefore not really valid. If I don't understand something right away it means I don't have all the necessary information or haven't really thought it through. Just because everything wasn't layed out on a silver platter doesn't make it stupid or lame. Non sequiturs, in a story like this, are almost a requirement to keep the interest of the established fan base. If something doesn't make sense then make an effort to understand it or wait for more info; don't just pass it off as stupid.

Just my view on the whole matter. In a nutshell, wait until you see all six movies in order before you make your judgements.

Anyways, in an almost complete reversal of the "hate it now/ love it later" phenomenon; the new packaging design has begun to wear very thin on me. Oh well, some graphics on a slab of cardboard is the least of my worries right now.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Indy, thanks for the cool words. I hope everybody understands what you mean by that last part, my comments were (as usual) long-winded, but yours were right to the point.

Barada, I did understand what you were saying about quoting your bro, I simply said the statement itself was what I felt was rude, not the author. As for your brother, I honestly think he just saw the pinacle of negative opinions and his view was simply a product of bad timing. The AOTC title issue was probably the biggest hot-button SW issue since Jar Jar in '99.

While I see the classic trilogy as being "Straight from the horse's mouth", I am still not too confident in everything in Ep 1 being true canon TO ME. I mean, on one level, I know there's zip I can do to change it and it's canon (until Lucas decides to "Special Edition" it), but on another level, there's stuff in there that I feel personally betrays the classic trilogy in so many ways that I have to think of ways to either weasel the story around it or to simply cut it completely from my mind. However, to say that just because you view others' opinions about Ep 1 and 2 as being "impatient" and therefore not valid, that doesn't give you the right to treat other fans as if their views ARE invalid on the forums, especially since you have NO way of knowing what's really in their minds. Yes, you're accepting that Ep 1 is an incomplete film and not supposed to be taken as a complete film as well as part of a saga, but LFL has said otherwise about the films and so if others don't agree with you on those issues, that does NOT make their opinion invalid. I mean, some folks might say that your view
    In a nutshell, wait until you see all six movies in order before you make your judgements.
    could be considered naive, blinded, and far too forgiving towards Lucas and LFL, and thus, invalid. You wouldn't like to be treated as if your views were less valid than another's, would you?

BTW, that reversal of yours IS kinda entertaining, especially in the context of this thread's content.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yeah, the more I look at it the more my eye gets distracted by the awkward border breaks. Especially the abrupt break just below the hands on the left side. Something I learned in art class as a "competing point." Basically a portion of the drawing that draws your eye immediately and detracts from the rest of the artwork. Just sloppy composition, but not nearly as bad as the OB1 in the top left corner of the POTJ cards. (Which my brother showed to his college art professor and she described it as a "horribly misguided design." I can't wait to see what she says about the EP2 cards. ) But as I mentioned before it really isn't a big deal.

The only thing good I can say about the POTJ card's Obi-Wan drawing is that at least it isn't the original prototype one.

Well thanks for sharing that with us JediTricks!

To me, that card is kind of cool. If I collected carded, especially variations, I'd want one!

Aside from that, seeing two much generic-ness on any packaging, over and over again, and it gets tiresome. I'd really rather have vintage style movie scene custom cards again...

I hadn’t seen that picture before Jedi Tricks, pretty awful drawing of Obi-Wan. Notice how Obi looks to be in agony in the prototype and current version? Power of the Jedi would have been the perfect time for a blue starburst with Anakin-Darth Vader mesh on the corner. It seems as though Hasbro has no concept of marketing outside of how to cut corners while raising the price.

Tycho, I agree with you 100% on vintage style cardbacks. Definitely gave each package uniqueness to it. With the new blue, the only major difference will be a small picture and text. Furthermore if the “droid” is the new gimmick, it’s a poor one. A perfect idea would be small CDs that could contain movie clips, images, dossiers, figure previews, exclusive Internet links … but I’m sure the price would skyrocket.

Allegedly, George Lucas once said:

"I took over control of the merchandising not because I thought it was going to make me rich, but because I wanted to control it. I wanted to make a stand for social, safety, and quality reasons. I didn't want someone using the name Star Wars on a piece of junk."

In terms of Episode II packaging, I think this speaks volumes on the current state of affairs...

Snake Plissken
    “A little human compassion”

Originally posted by Tycho
    Well thanks for sharing that with us JediTricks!

To me, that card is kind of cool. If I collected carded, especially variations, I'd want one!

Aside from that, seeing two much generic-ness on any packaging, over and over again, and it gets tiresome. I'd really rather have vintage style movie scene custom cards again...
    I bet if you look real hard on the internet, maybe ebay or something, you could probably get one of those prototype packages. I mean, look how many they had at this Toy Fair 2000 display, there's probably over 100 of those protos that got printed up but never used.

BTW, check out the starburst behind the vehicles, reminds me of the opening titles of "Futurama".