Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Besides which, he is from the generation that knew how too much of a good thing was really really bad for a person. We're spoilt. We get too much of what we want. we demand so much much from Lucas when he doesn't have to give us anything at all. It could all sit in his private museum to amuse him privately...

I'd love to see every moment of footage ever shot but it isn't going to happen. Lucasfilm, because it's a corporation not a man these days that makes the decisions, will no doubt spin out re-issues of these DVD disks ad infinitum so long as the money rolls in and the fans still buy them. It's not insidious to use such a practise it's business. Supply and demand. Don't put all your eggs in one basket and save a little of the good stuff for later. Perhaps this third disk will contain the rest of the lightsaber battles in the generator complex. I've heard that Lucas culled a lot of that footage so he could release it later and make money from fans willing to shell out for 'lost' footage. Seems about right to me. Why not? The trouble with being rich is that so little wealth is actual physical money. Most often it's just on paper like a random figure someone made up. Without physical money in your hands the temptation is to just keep doing what you always did and work at making money from whatever it is you do.
    But most likely is the theory that they didn't think it would sell because so many diss EP1. It must have been a mighty shock to see the DVD hit the high notes in the returns figures. So obviously the guys who market this stuff will be anxious to capitalise on the success of the first releasre by chucking out more of the same.
    Personally I'll buy the third disk if it comes out. Partly out of curiosity and partly to complete the disk set. Partly cuz I'm a mug and partly cuz I like the behind the scenes stuff just as much as the movies. I just hope they do the same with the OT DVD set -Three disks each with all the extra toppings you can eat would be just peachy.

You all have good points and we seem to all agree to a point. Lucasfilm is a business and is trying to make money off the fans. All I'm doing is just pointing that out. If people are willing to buy the nth permutation of a DVD, VHS tape, or resculpted figure Lucas will offer it.

What bugs me is that if they have an opportunity to release something separately instead of all in one shot, they'll do it separately to make more money. If they talk about "We're just doing it for the fans and not making that much off of it" then they need to do just that.

I'm glad Lucas came up with the idea and is seeing the whole enchilada through to its end. I do believe he really wants to make these movies and provide entertainment to the fans and general public. However, not all the motives are altruistic. Why not just point them out for what they are and decide for ourselves if it's worth it to buy everything that's being put out or just what is appealing.

Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
    Besides which, he is from the generation that knew how too much of a good thing was really really bad for a person. We're spoilt. We get too much of what we want.
    But Lucas is from the generation that gave us "too much of a good thing", and look at the guy! Clearly he understands that concept, when he started Star Wars, he was a skinny, underfed filmmaker, now... not so much.

I've heard that a significant portion of his multiple billions is somewhat liquid, which is how he paid for Ep 1 out of his pocket.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Epidsode 1's budget was somewhere around $115 million, thus making it the most expensive independent film ever made. It pulled in over $900 million in worldwide ticket sales, making it the highest grossing independent film ever.

That's not including DVD, VHS, Soundtrack, toy and misc merchandise sales either.

This tells us two things: 1.) according to sales figures, EP1 was EXTREMELY well recieved by the fans and general public; 2.) the budgets for Ep2 and 3 could be $300 million each (which they won't) and he'd have no trouble financing them himself again.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I just read on TFN that there isn't going to be any 3rd DVD disc. Click here for the article.

Dang. I really wanted to see a third disc.

Well, I guess this means that Lucas' wardrobe and garage are both full and his stock portfolio didn't take too bad a hit.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas