Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Telemarketers taking 9/11 off!

By JOE RUFF, Associated Press Writer

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - Recognizing that many Americans won't be in the mood for getting sales calls, many of the nation's telemarketers plan to take the day off Wednesday.

Sept. 11 is a day for people to be with their families, said Perry Young, director of a telemarketing center in Omaha run by Call Solutions Inc., of Waukesha, Wis.

"If I received a call at home on that day from somebody trying to sell me something, I would be personally offended," Young said.

"It's a day to sit back and reflect and not really press for marketing," agreed Kevin Brosnahan of the American Teleservices Association.

The nation's largest privately held telemarketing company, DialAmerica Marketing Inc. of Mahwah, N.J., is giving the day off to its 8,500 outbound telemarketers around the country.

Oh boy! Now what about the other 364 days? I like that quote from that telemarketing director saying "If I received a call at home on that day from somebody trying to sell me something, I would be personally offended." Duh! That's how we feel all the time when we receive calls from you people! Absurd!
    -Bob
    I am blind to the value of this pain...

I fully agree with you stormie, reading that story this morning I felt nothing but disgust - the usual disgust because of how much I hate those nuisances, and a greater disgust because they have to make a spectacle of their "good deed" by overstating the obvious.

Don't bash telemarketers. They're usually young kids, or immigrants trying to make a buck or two and survive. They also don't know when your dinner hour is, or when it's an inconvenient time to call you.

Cut them a little slack.....

Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
    Don't bash thieves. They're usually young kids, or immigrants trying to make a buck or two and survive. They also don't know when your dinner hour is, or when it's an inconvenient time to steal from you is .

Cut them a little slack.....
    Just because someone is doing that as a job or means of survivial doesn't mean that I have to pardon them. I'd rather they take the whole year off instead of just one day.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Don't forget a lot of advertisers will pull their commercials and advertisments from television and radio outlets. They don't want to tarnish the importance of the day with tacky ads. Imagine the loss of revenue from taking just one day off--it'll be huge. But worth it in my opinion.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Re: Telemarketers taking 9/11 off!

Originally posted by stormie
    By JOE RUFF, Associated Press Writer

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - Recognizing that many Americans won't be in the mood for getting sales calls, many of the nation's telemarketers plan to take the day off Wednesday.

Sept. 11 is a day for people to be with their families, said Perry Young, director of a telemarketing center in Omaha run by Call Solutions Inc., of Waukesha, Wis.

"If I received a call at home on that day from somebody trying to sell me something, I would be personally offended," Young said.

"It's a day to sit back and reflect and not really press for marketing," agreed Kevin Brosnahan of the American Teleservices Association.

The nation's largest privately held telemarketing company, DialAmerica Marketing Inc. of Mahwah, N.J., is giving the day off to its 8,500 outbound telemarketers around the country.

Oh boy! Now what about the other 364 days? I like that quote from that telemarketing director saying "If I received a call at home on that day from somebody trying to sell me something, I would be personally offended." Duh! That's how we feel all the time when we receive calls from you people! Absurd!
    By denying a person their job, and having that attitude about it you disgrace the American way and everything this country stands for. I was a telemarketer for 5 years and I was financially hurt last year when this happened because I was laid off for a weak and a half. And then after that because of the economy being hurt because of those events, our company, no, our people were financially hurt. I am very dissapointed in any of you who have this negative, ignorant, self-centered anti-American attitude. I AM PERSONALLY OFFENDED!!!!!
    Take heed to this thread of ignorance and disgrace------>
    http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums...5&pagenumber=1

Originally posted by Exhaust Port

Just because someone is doing that as a job or means of survivial doesn't mean that I have to pardon them.
    Exhaust, I know we have hashed over this before, but today on 9/11 brother it hits a nerve. 2 words for your response--"COMMON COURTESY"
    Last edited by scruffziller; 09-11-2002 at 08:55 AM.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Let's call them at home now!
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

agreed, sirsteve! they always call during supper too!
    h
    Sampsonite! i was way off!

Originally posted by hango fett
    agreed, sirsteve! they always call during supper too!
    h
    That's because the telemarketing industry has secretly placed cameras in EVERY home in the civilized world, solely so that they can interrupt you at dinner

Thumbs down let's explain this in terms even a telemarketer or spammer might grasp:

if i open a magazine or newspaper i should expect to see print ads. if i drive down the road i should expect to see billboards. if i turn on the tv or radio i should expect to see commercials. if i use a sponsored website i should expect to see banners or pop-ups. (sheesh, even the urinal cakes at local restaurants are emblazoned with the exhortation to "say no to drugs" as i pee on em; you'd think a guy could find a moment's peace while takin a Whiz. if anything would Drive a person to get high, would it not be the surreal experience of gettin an anti-drug lecture from a Toilet? )
    but if i'm doin nuthin but sittin at home mindin my own bizness there is no call for me to be disturbed just cuz you arrogantly assume that whatever the hell it is you're sellin, be it religion, subscriptions, overpriced charity candy bars or girl scout cookies, is more important than whatever it is i'm tending to at that moment and my right to be left alone in the sanctity of my own lair.
    one's phone and emailbox, like one's door, is an extension of one's home. they should be transgressed only by previous consent, acquaintance or an emergency. and no, you needin to reach your quota doesn't count as an emergency you self-centered jackAZZZZ there's some things an ethical person won't stoop to doing for a living. door-to-door sales, telemarketing and spamming should be part of that list. they should be outlawed. find another way to make a living. there's lotsa jobs that need to be done that aren't being done partly cuz human capital is channeled into inappropriate and parasitic enterprises like these-
    vt
    Last edited by vulcantouch; 09-11-2002 at 12:49 PM.