Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    On the Bridge of my Super Star Destroyer... force-choking incompetent officers!

Take Your Father's Place At My Side...

Ok...I need a (hand) on this one....

So we all know that at the end of ROTJ that the Emperor bids Luke to join him by destroying his father Darth Vader. During that moment...Luke looks at his hand and realizes that he now has his fathers hand RIGHT? Well answer me this...if Anakin lost most of his right arm in AOTC...how would Luke get his father's hand in ROTJ? And if he got his father's hand in ROTJ...then which hand did he get? Anakin's hand from 20 years ago...or the mechanical one he just cut off of Vader?
    "The darkside of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be...unnatural"

"Join me... and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son"

I think you have misunderstood this scene. Luke did not get his father's hand. The reason why Luke looks at his hand like thast is because he has just realised a few things. First, he is turning mechanical like Vader did, hence Luke's mechanical hand. Second, Luke has just realised that he used his anger against Vader and got his revenge for cutting off his hand. Luke can see that he is slowly turning into Vader. But Luke doesn't give up to the darkside as vader would have in that situation.
    Vader's hand does NOT attatch itself to Luke , and you can see vader carrying his hand a bit later on.

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

On the Bridge of my Super Star Destroyer... force-choking incompetent officers!
    Ok...I've always believed...well at least for the past 15 years or so...that Luke got Vader's hand at the end of ROTJ. I guess I never looked at it from the standpoint of Luke realizing that he was slowly turning into Vader....but I did consider that he used his anger to get revenge for Vader cutting off his hand. I always assumed that Luke got Vader's hand at the end of ROTJ, as it was a gift from the Emperor (showing-off his POWER to Luke by giving him something no-one else could) as he bid Luke to join him.

Who else out there thinks / thought that Luke got Vader's hand at the end of ROTJ?
    "The darkside of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be...unnatural"

"Join me... and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son"

so the emperor, at the end of rotj, gave luke vaders hand, eventhough vader tossed the emperor down the damn shaft?

Is that what you're saying? Or do you mean at the end of ESB?

Either way.....what Pendo said is the exact way the scene goes down. Luke realizes, when he sees that his fathers hand is as false and mechanical as his, that he is becoming vader, and turning to the darkside....at this moment, he refuses the dark side....and returns to the light.

There's a line in (I believe) the ROTJ Storybook that says something to the effect of "Luke looked at his father and then at his own mechanical hand. 'I'm turning into him,' he thought."
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Originally posted by Pendo
    I think you have misunderstood this scene.
    PENDO!
    Exactly.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

I think you have misunderstood this scene. Luke did not get his father's hand. The reason why Luke looks at his hand like thast is because he has just realised a few things. First, he is turning mechanical like Vader did, hence Luke's mechanical hand. Second, Luke has just realised that he used his anger against Vader and got his revenge for cutting off his hand. Luke can see that he is slowly turning into Vader. But Luke doesn't give up to the darkside as vader would have in that situation.
    Vader's hand does NOT attatch itself to Luke , and you can see vader carrying his hand a bit later on.

PENDO!
    Actually, I don't think his anger was caused by loosing his hand, but more by what Vader said. He said that he was going to turn his sister, Leia to the darkside if he wouldn't join. The fear of loosing her lead to his anger. His anger fed his his hate of Vader. That hate caused him to strike down Vader, thus leading to the suffering of his father.

Originally posted by El Chuxter
    There's a line in (I believe) the ROTJ Storybook that says something to the effect of "Luke looked at his father and then at his own mechanical hand. 'I'm turning into him,' he thought."
    That's what I always thought.

I've been many times in the past, but, didn't Vader's hand an lightsaber fall down the shaft? Vader was leaning against the railing when Luke cut his hand off.

I think I'll watch ROTJ again this weekend and really pay close attention to that scene.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

I believe it did fall down the shaft, since no where in that scene do we see Vader pick it up. I'm gonna have to watch it this weekend.

edit - Just watched it and you can clearly see the hand fall on the shaft side of the rail, not land on the platform next to Vader.
    Last edited by mini-rock; 09-12-2002 at 02:15 AM.

Originally posted by Lord_Malakite

PENDO!
    Actually, I don't think his anger was caused by loosing his hand, but more by what Vader said. He said that he was going to turn his sister, Leia to the darkside if he wouldn't join. The fear of loosing her lead to his anger. His anger fed his his hate of Vader. That hate caused him to strike down Vader, thus leading to the suffering of his father.
    I agree that the fear of loosing Leia was what caused Luke to be angry. I just didn't word it very well, I'm crap at English .

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection