Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your Home Theater

Since we have so many DVD fans and what not, I was wondering how many of you have 5.1 surround systems. I have Definitive Technology BP8 speakers up front, a CLR 2000 center and BP 1.2 surrounds. I also have an Eosone 12 inch sub. It sounds amazing with LOTR and I cannot wait to get AOTC on it. I watch on a 27 inch Sony TV and my components are Yamaha for the most part.

http://www.definitivetech.com/loudsp...dspeakers.html
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

we have suround sound...i just can't remeber what kind..but it is awsome!
    h
    Sampsonite! i was way off!

I've got a panasonic system with full surround, five disc changer for listening to music (or watching 5 movies at once, I suppose), and the sound is incredible. Nice thing too...the player is built into the sound system, great space saver. All Hooked up to a 36 inch Sony vega.

Great way to watch movies....

Why is DVD stuff so darned expensive if it can be produced so cheaply? I'd love just to afford a DVD player for starters. I haven't yet seen my DVD of TPM. And soon I'll have AOTC on DVD and won't be able to play that either.
    I will have a system when I have funds, I plan on having a pretty funky sound system to really enjoy the movie experience with. The TV I have right now gives a pretty ggood imitation of surround sound but uses EAX as a system instead. Two onboard speakers giving the impression of six external ones. I know it's not the same, it never could be. but until such time as they drop the price of the equipment I'm not going to be able to enjoy DVD technology.

Not sure about prices across the water Jargo, but here in the states you can get a DVD player for about the price of a decent VCR anymore.

They range in price from around $80.00 for a cheapy model, to $150.00 for a really nice one, and around $200.00 for ones with alot of bells and whistles.

Infact I just charged on my Sears card a really nice RCA model for 109.00 for one of my Dad's Birthday/Christmas gifts. Of course he's a widescreen hater, but I just have to try to convert him.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I bought a DVD player for about $60 at a Walmart a year ago, but the one on the PS2 that I got for Xmas works better. More bang for your buck especially since they went down in price. They might even go on sale for cheaper again around Dec., not by much I imagine though.
    This announcement has been brought to you by a generous grant from the Ranting Jonna Foundation
    "Helping to improve your life through nonsensical ravings for over 35 years"

I'm pretty lucky in this department. I work for a high end a/v retailer, and we get great discounts. I won't say exactly what I have, but I will drop some names: B&K, Yamaha, Toshiba, Pioneer, Sony, Mits (x2), Martin Logan (x5), M&K (x3), XBOX, Panamax, AudioQuest, Monster Cable, and Monster Power.

I'd say the best way to get great stuff cheap is to befriend someone who works in a/v retail in your area. Also beware of cheap DVD players. Most are DOA out of the box.

I got my DVD player when they first came out...It cost about $300.00 and has DIVX(Sucks!)..anyway...

my setup:

Receiver = Aiwa AV-D57/500watts/optical input/5.1

DVD = RCA /DIVX/S-video out/optical output

TV = Toshiba (Cinema Series) 36"/S-video in

Speakers:

Front-X2- A. KLH -12"-4"-2"

Front-X2- B. SONY -5" -2"

Center- KLH - two -4"

Back-X2- Magnavox - 7"-3"

Sub- KLH 150watts

CD = Technics (60+1 CD Changer)

I also have 2 Record players an 8-Track player and a VideoDisc player(does not work)...
    plus a VCR ,CASSETTE TAPE player, and another Receiver I don't use anymore...

Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna
    I bought a DVD player for about $60 at a Walmart a year ago, but the one on the PS2 that I got for Xmas works better. More bang for your buck especially since they went down in price. They might even go on sale for cheaper again around Dec., not by much I imagine though.
    I also have a PS2 and use it as our household's DVD player.

I heard from my brother that if I watch too many DVDs on the PlayStation2, that I might warp the laser inside somehow, and that would diminish the capacity to play games. He recommended that I get a DVD player that is independent of a video game system, saying that video game systems are not primarily meant to show DVDs, but play games (which seems logical).

Anyone hear anything similar to this?
    Last edited by Lowly Bantha Cleaner; 09-13-2002 at 12:07 AM.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner

I also have a PS2 and use it as our household's DVD player.

I heard from my brother that if I watch too many DVDs on the PlayStation2, that I might warp the laser inside somehow, and that would diminish the capacity to play games. He recommended that I get a DVD player that is independent of a video game system, saying that video game systems are not primarily meant to show DVDs, but play games.

Anyone hear anything similar to this?
    I haven't heard that about movies. If you leave your system plugged in when it is not in use it might warp the laser though, the instruction manual should have this listed somewhere if I'm not mistaken. I would agree with your brother though, you would probably be better off buying a seperate DVD player. Video game systems aren't primarily used for movies, thus you will often get better quality from a normal DVD player.