Hybrid View

Cards from England

My neighbor just returned from a trip to England and brought me back a pack of AOTC stickers. It says Merlin on the front (little box near the bottom). 6 stickers per package it says.

Can anyone tell me more about these? What should I expect when I open them? Should I open them? Are they different from US versions or is it just a change in packaging?

Thanks!

I bought several packs of the Merlin SE cards when I visited England in '97. Great cards, different scenes, high quality. It took me more than three years to complete a set though!!! Very frustrating.

A friend of mine just moved to England with her fiancee; he's in the Air Force. She's going to be on the lookout for the ATOC cards for me. Woo hoo!!!

Ba-bump!

I won a set online of the SE '97 set (for about $3... with $9 shipping ) from a UK seller. While the quality of the images looks like they were screen captures from a VHS copy, the shots themselves are different than ones I've seen before (i.e. maybe a few seconds later than the more common shots from the films). They summarise (using British spelling ) the Classic Trilogy, but oddly omit some scenes (e.g. no snowtroopers, Death Star chasm swing, only one slave Leia pic, etc.). They're pretty cool, and I don't have to fret over finding missing cards to complete the set.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

They're called Merlin cards, BC.

I bought my packs at the Forbidden Planet in Dublin, Ireland, when I toured the UK in '97. (Bought my first tri-logo carded figures there, too, as well as some Judge Dredd comics for a buddy.) The shop said they cards wouldn't be available in the states, so I bought 10+ packs and almost completed my set. Imagine my surprise when I found the cards in my local comic shop a month or two later.

The last card I needed to complete my set came from a guy I traded with in England.

sorry stillakid, I can't comment on these AOTC cards, BUT I do have some Special Edition classic trilogy cards by Merlin and I think they are pretty cool. Nice gloss, full image on the card with only the SE ingot logo as a marking . . . .

Hmm, I wasn't even aware that they were made in Englad, so thanks for answering an unasked question.

Can I inquire as to the price your friend paid? I'm interested in getting some (just learned about them now but I love AOTC and it would be a nice holdover til the new WV in Nov. ), and am wondering what might be a good starting price on eBay or wherever . . .

I have a few spares

Hi there
    I am in the UK, I have a few of the AOTC merlin stickers to trade.
    they sell for $0.45 a pack. Lmk if you want to trade for any.

Regards Mark