Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RARE goes third party

In response to increasing public talk about Rare producing games for other platforms, Nintendo has issued a statement confirming that it is ending its exclusive relationship with Rare. However, Star Fox Adventures, produced by Rare and Nintendo, will remain exclusive to the GameCube and is still set to ship on September 23.
    The Nintendo statement explained the reasoning behind the change in the company's relationship with Rare: "Although we're proud of our joint efforts with Rare over the years and have enjoyed our relationship with them, in fiscal year 2001, Rare accounted for only 9.5 percent of total Nintendo software revenue worldwide. In fiscal year 2002, that number declined to 1.5 percent. Therefore, in evaluating our investments in developers, as well as the financial benefits to Nintendo over the years, we've decided it's in Nintendo's best interests to focus on diversifying our portfolio of developers and projects."

Nintendo further confirmed that in addition to the Star Fox exclusivity, "Nintendo's other great franchise characters such as Donkey Kong also will remain exclusive to Nintendo." No mention was made of the rights to Perfect Dark, the franchise started by Rare.

I wish I could say I didn't see this coming. What's Nintendo doing....

I wanna see a Cube version of Conker!!!!!!!!

tha...tha...tha.....tha.....wee......wee......wee. ...wee......WEASELS!!!
    "I GOT THE DOUGH!!!! AND I'M GONNA BLOW!!!!!"
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

I don't think it will hurt them that much in the long run. They haven't said they will never make games for Nintendo ever again, just that they won't ONLY do it for Nintendo. I never cared much for the Donkey Kong or Diddy Kong games much, so I think it's just as good if Nintendo handles those games themselves. StarFox 64 was great, but I haven't played the new one yet. But I think again, they are capale of doing just as well as RARE. WHile I have enjoyed many of RARE's games, I don't think this will kill Nintendo. Heck, there are still rumors of Nintendo going third party.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

Rare is essentially and for all intensive purposes, a, "In-house" Microsoft company now. I doubt we'll see more Nintendo Rare games.

They have been bought by Microsoft.

Originally posted by Boba Rhett
    The Cube won't be seeing Conker.
    DANG!!!!!
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by Nexu
    They have been bought by Microsoft.
    Unfortunately, this is true.

I could care less about Rare leaving Nintendo. They made Goldeneye, which was about the only game they created which I enjoyed. Sure they have made other games, like Banjo-Kazooie and its sequel. There are dozens of games like that, which I consider all of them to be inspired by Super Mario 64. Now, for Goldeneye, well Timesplitters 2 by Free Radical has that area covered. Perfect Dark?...That game was nothing but Rare attempting to create another Goldeneye, which they failed at doing, but the multiplayer was good. Now, Rare will not retain rights to Donkey Kong or any of the Kong family and cast for that matter. So, what does Rare bring Microsoft that should have fans of Gamecube scared? They bring Perfect Dark and the copy platformers of Conker and Banjo Kazooie. Wow, one game whose fun factor was trying to reach new levels of dirty humor and the other which was a replacement of two animals for Mario. Do not worry Nintendo fans, the GameCube will survive. Rare is not the powerhouse we all used to believe it was. It may have been back in the Goldeneye days, but many key members of that development team are at Free Radical. So, as I said before, Rare is gone, but does it really affect Nintendo owners that much?
    Back and more bearded than ever before