Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does Everyone Like the Cantina Sets?

I saw these things in Wal-Mart the other day and one word came to my mind.... CRAP !! Did anyone notice that they are just cheap repaints of old figures? greedo is the commtech one, hammerhead is the potf2 one without his little overcoat. I may be a little harsh on them, but i don't like them. i hope there hasn't already been a thread on this...
    [FONT=comic sans ms]ok make me stop talking, it's not interesting anymore[/FONT]

Do a search, it's been discussed alot. There is more differences to the figures then you think. Infact they are more movie accurate then the previous version. Do you have to buy them, no. If you like more accurate figures they are a nice purchase though.

Greedo: Correct color skin and vest. The Commtech version had a light orangish vest and his skin color was to blueish/green.

Momaw Nadon: Finally the correct skin color. His outfit is also finally movie correct. A huge improvement to the POTF2 version.

Ponda Baba: Finally gets the often requested removable arm. As well as some added articulation so he can sit. The best of the three.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

removable arm sounds cool, i didn't see that on the package, and i really didn't have anything bad to say about him. To me, the other two look like REPAINTS to me still. I am once again passing on a new figure cuz i don't need it. I did search by the way and maybe i did something wrong, but i didn't get any results. I'll try again.
    EDIT: I did the search correctly, I was being too specific before, and i found a thread exactly like this but better no one else has to look at this thread anymore cuz it's old news
    [FONT=comic sans ms]ok make me stop talking, it's not interesting anymore[/FONT]

I like them, it's always nice to get some OT stuff, especially stuff from the ole' Cantina bar. I can't wait for the other 3 to come out in the fall, especially Wuher. That dude cracks me up. I remember laughing hysterically at his commtech chip saying of, "no blasters! no blasters!" in that high pitched, muffled voice. Oh, sweet craptacular commtechs......(sigh)
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

The Trouble With the Cantina Set

Well, these new sets are yet another example of the great "Hasbro Hit or Miss" scenario!

The idea of the sets is solid, beyond question. How better to release what would be a large playset type of thing? So conceptually (at least raw concept) is a HIT!

However, the realization of that concept is a MISS, due in no small part to the addition of BARSTOOLS to a bar that had none! The idea of the pieces that connect to form at least one half of the straight portion of the bar is good, but only if it is followed up by sections in Series 2 that form the arc at one end, and possibly pieces that connect to form the vas distillery array behind the bar!

Hasbro has another MISS in the orchestration of these sets. Ponda Boba is given articulated knees despite the fact that he is never seen SITTING DOWN! However, Momaw Nadon, who is never seen standing, cannot sit down!

And in typical Hasbro MISS fashion, they release a first series with the anticipation of a second and perhaps a third series, but made the mistake of releasing repaints in the FIRST series which will result in lacklustre sales and threaten orders for the second, which promises to contain the first NEW figue in this line! This is the exact same mistake that they have made with the rerelease of the Micro Machines Action Fleet line (with the EII ships appearing in the second series, and only repaints in the first).

Now I will make this one point in Hasbro's defense. There are those out there who missed Momaw, Greedo, and Ponda in thier initial releases, and may have missed Greedo in his CommTech release. This at least gives them a second chance, as it were.
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

I bought them, but only for the bar pieces. It would have been nice if they used figs that have not been done yet, but of corse thats Hasbeendonebeforehasbro for ya.
    But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some Star Wars figures!!!

I really liked them. The Greedo was especially wonderful!
    Urban Exploration - It's a rush!

I like them. The bar pieces are neat and I don't mind the figures at all. In the future I hope they get released w/ tables.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

Well, I don't have Ponda, or CT Greedo so they're on my shopping list.

Sadly I want the CT Greedo with chip so I will end up having to get him twice as I also want the bar sets!
    Look - I'm Princess Leia!

I think they are crap... I already have all of these figures. The slight change in the paint and removeable arm does not justify a purchase, especially considering the $10 price tag. The point is, they are redundant. I already own these figures and I bought all of them as discounted pegwarmers in the POTF2 line. I have no doubt they will become pegwarmers in this latest release as well.

I would have much rather seen new Cantina aliens rather than this rehashed stuff.