Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Holstering the Sabers

This is kind of an across the saga question, but the prequels make it more obvious.

How, exactly, are the lightsabers attached to a Jedi? In TPM, Qui Gon and Obi do a couple of quick moves that suggest a gunslinger dropping the six-shooter back in the holster. On other photos, it appears as though there are hooks of some kind. Now the quick re-holstering could work with a hook mechanism I suppose, but wouldn't it hinder a "quick draw" as they also are prone to do?

Insights?

in the prequil trology, there is a "round clip" on the side of the saber that slides onto a matching recepticle on the belt.

and in the original trilogy, there is a ring that is attached to the end of the saber, and it hangs loosely to a belt clip.

I vote for 2 options.

A) The force keeps it up...you never see a fat jedi in a belt do you?

or

B) Magnets!

Originally posted by derek
    in the prequil trology, there is a "round clip" on the side of the saber that slides onto a matching recepticle on the belt.

and in the original trilogy, there is a ring that is attached to the end of the saber, and it hangs loosely to a belt clip.
    None of those appear to be visible when Jedi are using them. (ie, Gantry scene in ROTJ)

On the Bridge of my Super Star Destroyer... force-choking incompetent officers!
    Originally posted by stillakid

None of those appear to be visible when Jedi are using them. (ie, Gantry scene in ROTJ)
    True...but perhaps when Luke is boarding the Gantry...his arms are coupled by the Magno-Cuffs...thus they would be obstructing the view of his belt clip.
    "The darkside of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be...unnatural"

"Join me... and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son"

what's a "gantry"? if the belt attachments are not always visable, it's probably a stunt saber that does not have the clip on it.

here is obi-wan's saber:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sw3_obi_sold.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	3948  
    Last edited by derek; 09-17-2002 at 02:07 PM.

here is lukes saber. vader and old ben's sabers have similar attachments, except one of vaders sabers hung with the emitter facing up.

if you saw a still from the film without this triangle belt ring, it was probably one of the many ROTJ luke sabers that were used in the film. none are exactly the same.

Name:	sw3_luk_sold.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	3949  

here is a photo of the belt attachment used by luke, obi wan and vader in the original trilogy:

Name:	elec.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	3950  

Thanks Derek, that's exactly what I was getting at. I assumed that a stunt version was used for holstering while another was used for actually fighting.

But I'm most interested in how the Episode I sabers were supposed to work. Qui Gon whips his off his hip quite quickly and then de-engergizes it and re-holsters it with the same intensity. What kind of hooking mechanism would allow this to happen?

I believe the prequel sabers are held on with a British PDA-holder known as a Covertec clip, the round disc on the saber fits into a corresponding slot on a small black box on a Jedi's belt (many of the prequel Jedi figs have this box sculpted to them). In the SW universe, the prequel sabers do not have fully-internal recharging systems and the holster boxes are also recharging stations; however by the classic trilogy's time, a lightsaber's recharging is handled completely internally and so the Jedi of that time only need an uncomplicated D-ring which attaches to a wide silver hook bent around the belt (I believe this is another British device, a paper-sorting clip or something like that).

The sabers of both times seem to stay in their belt spots mainly by sheer force of will, though it's actually harder than you think to get saber hilts to fly off your belt using this sort of equipment.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.