Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Original Nintendo Question...72 Pin Connector?

I'm trying to get rid of some of my old Nintendo stuff on Ebay, and I was checking to see what I might get for some of it, and I noticed something in a few of the auctions.
    There are some being sold with a "New 72 pin connector". Does anyone know what that is? I want to know if mine has it and I would like to know if there is any way to determine this.
    If anyone has any info, please let me know.

Thanks a lot!

End...
    They call them fingers, and yet they don't fing. Noodle that one for a while.
    "Logic dictates we haul @$$." - Mego Spock from Twisted Toyfare Theater; Issue #59

The 72 pin connector is the part inside the machine that makes contact/connects with the cartridge pins (the exposed part at the bottom of the cartridge). If it says it has a new one, that just means the original was replaced at some time, which isn't too uncommon. Especially if it is the original spring-loaded model.

Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
    The 72 pin connector is the part inside the machine that makes contact/connects with the cartridge pins (the exposed part at the bottom of the cartridge). If it says it has a new one, that just means the original was replaced at some time, which isn't too uncommon. Especially if it is the original spring-loaded model.
    Thank you for the info, LM. It's just that I saw such want for this, some units by themselves (no controllers, no r/f unit, no power cord) going for $26. And I just had to find out why...

So, the only way to get a 72 pin is by having it replaced? Nintendo never released the spring-loaded one with it?

End...
    "Logic dictates we haul @$$." - Mego Spock from Twisted Toyfare Theater; Issue #59

Originally posted by Lman316
    So, the only way to get a 72 pin is by having it replaced? Nintendo never released the spring-loaded one with it?

End...
    All spring-loaded NESs have 72 pin connectors already inside them, just like any other cartridge based system has connectors. If they didn't, the system wouldn't work. The reason a person would replace a connector is that it would often times get so dirty, especially in the spring-loaded NES, or they would get bent out of whack, usually the result of using a Game Genie since its pins were too large for the connector, that the connector would no longer correctly connect/make contact with the games. As a result, the NES would flash and blink as if there was no game in it. Just about the most common problem that almost everyone has faced with the spring-loaded NES.
    Last edited by Lord Malakite; 09-17-2002 at 01:12 PM.

Originally posted by Lord_Malakite

All spring-loaded NESs have 72 pin connectors already inside them, just like any other cartridge based system has connectors. If they didn't, the system wouldn't work. The reason a person would replace a connector is that it would often times get so dirty, especially in the spring-loaded NES, or they would get bent out of whack, usually the result of using a Game Genie since its pins were too large for the connector, that the connector would no longer correctly connect/make contact with the games. As a result, the NES would flash and blink as if there was no game in it. Just about the most common problem that almost everyone has faced with the spring-loaded NES.
    Ah. See, by "NEW!", I assumed it meant along the lines of "New and Improved", like it was something special, something that came out later that worked better...
    Again, thanks for the info, LM.

End...

No problem, thats what I'm here for.

If you want a new and improved, go for the "top loading" NES system. They released it way after the system was dead, but it has NO problems with games not working, or blinking out.

They sell for a lot more though. I see them go between 30-60 dollars.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
    If you want a new and improved, go for the "top loading" NES system. They released it way after the system was dead, but it has NO problems with games not working, or blinking out.

They sell for a lot more though. I see them go between 30-60 dollars.
    I think he is trying to sell his old NES stuff. If someone is looking to buy NES stuff though, I would agree with Quite-Long Dong about the top loading model.

Oh yeah, I forgot, that's what happens when you don't re-read the entire thread
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

I have a top-loader that replaced my front-loader (the problem there was that the "elevator" that held the game in place wore out and wouldn't hold the games at the right level... wasn't even the first time it happened, 3rd NES deck in a row) and it works very nicely. Thrawn tells me the top-loader was a KB exclusive, but I'm not sure that's where I got it. It came with that awesome "bone" Nintendo controller, the one that made up for 5 years of the "rectangle" one that chewed up my hands. The top-loader works very well and is nice and compact, a definite must-have if you have an NES library.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.