Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

One Hour Photo - A Must See!

Perhaps the most anticpated film for me since Episode II or Lord of the Rings, One Hour Photo first came to my attention nearly a year ago.

Based solely on the strength of the image used for the movie poster (that of Robin Williams as his character Sy Parrish looking passionatly at a strip of 35mm film negative) and a brief description of the concept of the film, I anxiously awaited its release. When I finally had word that this film was to premiere, I was crestfallen to discover that it was going to be one of those "limited release" situations. A major studio (in this case, 20th Century Fox) finds excatly the type of script that they proclaim is so rare in Hollywood, puts up the money to carry it through production, then abandons it at distribution. This was the unfortunate fate of "Memento", a film I nearly missed on the big screen. It seemed that I would be making quite a trek from Arlington to far North Dallas if I hoped to see Robin Williams in what promised to be his finest hour as a dramatic actor.

But alas, the folks at Fox Searchlight had mercy on me and this gem of a film and it has now been afforded a much broader release. And that being the case, there should be no excuse not to seek it out as I did. And as for the promise of that first fleeting image and plot synopsis? "One Hour Photo" delivers!

Robin Williams shines like never before in a disturbing performance as photo technician Sy Parrish. The depth of this character is so great that nothing of Williams' own manic personality is allowed to show through (an unfortunate side-effect all too common when the transition is made from purly comic to purly dramatic acting). Obsessed with a suburban family through his vicarious intrusion into their lives (from years of processing their photographs), Williams' character begins a decent into madness that is both realistic and unflinching. And despite what on the surface may seem a transparant and predictable plotline, "One Hour Photo" is repleat with surprises. Like a negative that slowly reveals the photograph contained within, the plot slowly, methodically develops, not quite revealing the entire picture all at once. I cannot give a high enough reommendation to this haunting drama.
    Last edited by JediCole; 09-17-2002 at 03:47 PM.
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

It sounds like an interesting movie from what I've seen. I'll probably see it eventually.

Looks like my kind of Flick!!!!! I really enjoy watching movies about things I would love to do, but can't because it is against the law and I wouldn't want it done to myself.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

I couldn't agree with you more JediCole. I have been waiting for that movie since they premiered the trailer for it months ago. I too was ****ed off about the limited release. But it did finally get here, and I am very glad. Robin Williams deserves an Oscar Nomination for that preformance, and the camera work was just awesome. I too recommend this film to anybody and everybody.
    Powdered Toast Man!

I am going to see this ASAP. It looks very good.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

It looks good to me also. A friend and I have plans to see it next week.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

I saw it last night. I thought it was a very good film. But I doubt I will ever watch it again. It's just really not the type of film you WANT to see again. Kind of like Traffic.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
    I saw it last night. I thought it was a very good film. But I doubt I will ever watch it again. It's just really not the type of film you WANT to see again. Kind of like Traffic.
    Good point, Quite. It really is not the kind of movie that draws you back again and again. Not because it is bad in any way, just disturbing, haunting. I will probably own this on DVD, but like Memento or Blue Velvet, it will be a part of my collection that I must be in a certain mood to watch.
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

I'd love to see this movie if it ever came anywhere near here, but unfortunately it hasn't.
    "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

I saw this on DVD last night at a friends house. First we watched The Ring, which I thought was good, then we put in Photo. That was the worst piece of garbage I've seen in a while!

What did I like? Sy's wardrobe, how bland it was, made it easy to see how he would be overlooked by society. The lead actress was decent looking, I liked her hairdo in the mall.

What didn't I like? the performances, they weren't strong. I think just about everyone would be freaked out to receive the attention that Sy shows toward the family; Sy had the same boss as Office Space (that must have been the job he went to after he was fired from the office). The unrealistic house deco and other set dressings, like Wal- SavMart. The TV movie-of-the-week soundtrack. The transparent plot device of the affair.

I will note that the plot twist was different (what you think happens versus the way Sy gets into that position).
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars