Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

I've Played with the Interactive R2D2

I didn't buy him. I almost did. First I asked a manager of Toys R Us who was a friend of mine to open him and put batteries in him, if I was going to shell out over $100.oo

I still might. But I doubt it.

Artoo is voice controlled. But half the time he doesn't do what you ask him to. It's really frustrating.

The instructions say that's because R2D2 is stubborn and it's part of his personality.

I think they can hide a lack of sophisticated enough programming with that excuse.

Now, to get R2 to do anything, you have to say "Hey Artoo" and then give him commands. He'll beep that he heard you, such as

"Hey Artoo"

Beep

"Command Mode"

Beep

"Turn Right"

and you can program him to run certain courses.

He will not be able to go get you a beer or soda. Yes he could carry one, but only take it where you tell him to - assuming you gave it to him in the first place.

But you quickly get tired of saying "Hey Artoo."

Next, you can say

"Hey Artoo"

BEEP

"Do You Remember"

Beep

"Darth Vader?"

and R2 reacts to different character names from the Prequels and Sequels that he's been programmed for.

He can play Leia's holo message (audio only) but also turn on a light from his light projector.

He loves to go out and explore and he'll start wandering around all on his own, and he has sensor naviagation that helps him back up and turn and go around obstacles. His sensors do not view things below his eyeport very well, and if he runs over something that he gets stuck on, you can easily have him wear out his 4 D-cell batteries and 4-AA cell ones before you find out what he's been up to.

He's like having a pet. He dances too.

Sometimes he just refuses to obey you. If you tell him he's bad, he goes and hides for a little while (looks for a corner that his sensors identify, then hides and sort of closes down in there and whimpers a little).

You have to tell him to Re-Set systems often when you're trying him out, because if he doesn't bond well with you, he'll get more and more rebellious and unresponsive. He shakes his head "no" whenever you tell him something.

You can talk to him and ask him questions like an 8-ball, too.

So I asked him if he wanted to go home with me. Artoo said "No."

And I asked him if he even liked me. Artoo said "No."

So I left him at the toy store. Let him deal with some kid now!

Hmmph. Some attitude!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

oh tycho he might just need to to get to know you.

If this thing is half as annoying as that Interactive Yoda, then 'no thanks.'

Were you wearing your podracer shirt?

Doesn't really sound like much of a toy for a kid considering the price tag. If it's unresponsive I think most or all kids who get one (most likely the majority of the parents buying it will think about it for holidays) would get tired of saying "Hey Artoo" every single time they wanted him to do something, and of course if he doesn't do it. Not too mention the amount of batterys he needs sounds like parents wouldn't be too happy about kids playing with him too long to run down the batteries sooner, sounds like Hasbro has stock invested on batteries.

I definitely won't try to get this, sounds like it'd be more of a hassle than it would be fun. Now if they could do something to where they could make one bigger, have a solar power collector (for an internal battery) and able to carry figures around, along with have some more sophisticated AI then he would definitely be cool to have.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

For half the price, someone could have updated Droidworks with better graphics, AI, and included droids from all five movies. That's essentially the control you want, not what the final tangible product is.

The piece is, well, useless. It has motion sensors! So? It can hold a beverage! So? It's an action figure with attitude!

Please.

It's a troubled robot-pet with the image and cost of the Star Wars licence. For the price, you're better off buying the nine Star Tours droids.

I wonder how this thing will do on most folks' carpet. I picture those batteries disappearing daily, that alone puts up a big red AVOID to me. I admire the concept, but there's not enough here IMO to warrant the pricetag.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I got one for my birthday from my wife. I think it's really cool. So you people can bi@@h and complain all you want about price ect.. I think it's really cool!!!!
    Anakin: "Where are you going Master?"
    Obi-Wan: "To get a drink!! A Molson XXX!!"

Originally posted by Jedi Drew
    I got one for my birthday from my wife. I think it's really cool. So you people can bi@@h and complain all you want about price ect.. I think it's really cool!!!!
    It might be cool, it might not be; either way I'm not buying it.

I think I'll have to pick up one of these bastich's. I mean, it's r2! who would not want a feisty little r2 running around?

Well...I do. If only it were to scale........

What JediTricks said about carpeting also really concerns me.

Carpeting is constantly shedding little fibers of thread (for most standard types) and these collect in remote control car wheels - I know).

Plus I play with Star Wars toys 100 times more than I vacuum my rugs - that comes with the bachelor lifestyle.

And I have cats who shed.

I'm thinking R2 will continuous lose mobility as enough twine wraps around a droid's wheels in my house to stop him as cold as Wedge did to the AT-AT.

I'm also thinking that in the time it would take me to drive back to Toys R Us, I could vacuum my apartment.

And for the price of R2D2, I could hire a maid to do that for me twice this month!

I'm not just a slob: I'm a full-time professional one!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.