Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Lousy Toyfare, you fooled me with your Simpsons celebrity customs !

Ahem, the new toyfare arrived the other day, with the headline
    "Simpsons Shocker ! The celebrity toy you won't believe. Plus: Playset Previews"

'Hmm, what could that be?' I wondered . . . so I flip to the inside, and see the picture I've attached below. Imagine my delight ! :happy: I can't believe they are actually doing him ! :happy:

Oh, but then I read the preview in tiny print off to the left:
    "We couldn't wait any longer, so we went ahead and made the Simpsons celebrity toys we most want to see!"

Frankly, I'm peeved because their cover should not be so misleading.

I will however say they made some very cool customs, if interested I will share more (since many of you gave up on Toyfare ).

The last custom they showed was Stephen Hawking, and apparently Playmates is actually going to make him !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	markhamill.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	3985  

That's why I quit reading that abomination known as Toy Fair. Not only do they have insane prices in their price guide, but their magazine seems to have become pretty crappy all around. This isn't the first time they mentioned somthing up coming, and the fine print says the pictures are custom. I still love the fact that they list the "Iron Cross" He-Man as worth $40-$50.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Oh man that sucks. But Playmates need to make a Simpsons Mark Hamill figure. I read ToyFare because they have some great pictures and some funny captions. I find the information reliable but the price guide is WAY off.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

they only reasons i was reading toy fare was for the funny capations. i also found that they where take along time to list new toys and when it point them to some toys the make the more complete they more add them. so for the time being i am with lee

"Simpsons Shocker ! The celebrity toy you won't believe.
    The celebrity toy, not toys you won't believe. It's one toy: Stephen Hawking. So, that's not lying. I wasn't misled, I wanted to see which single toy they were talking about. But that's just me.
    I actually love Toyfare - it's my favorite magazine of all time!
    Granted, I get all the Star Wars info on here first. Usually what I see in Toyfare involving it, I've seen on here way in advance. But there are other toys, many other toys that I get my first looks at in that magazine and with a good article to go along with it. I get a lot of information that I normally wouldn't otherwise. But, when I didn't have the Internet, Toyfare was great at bringing up the new Star Wars stuff, letting me know what I should be looking for in the near future.
    I find the magazine to be completely entertaining and informative (no, I don't work for them.....oh, I can't wait until someone says that), and just plain funny. I always save the Twisted Toyfare Theater until last...it always cracks me up. How could anyone not like that?
    On the issues of the price guide: meh. Doesn't anyone realize, first, that those prices were put in when they were writing that issue, so of course the prices would not reflect accurate amounts at the present time. And for those that don't match up at any time, I would say that they're not keeping their eyes just on Ebay, but rather toy shows and other vendor oriented areas. I'm sure that someplace someone is getting $40 for a Cross He-Man - so that would be accurate, IMO. Just because you don't see it happening, doesn't mean that it doesn't...

But, "thems" just my two cents.

End...
    They call them fingers, and yet they don't fing. Noodle that one for a while.
    "Logic dictates we haul @$$." - Mego Spock from Twisted Toyfare Theater; Issue #59

I too enjoy Toyfare and wasn't mislead by the issue. The problem arises is when you just look at the pictures and don't read the articles. The same thing can be said for Playboy.

Toyfare bashing is one of those bandwagons that a lot of people just love to be on. "How dare they say that this toy is great when it clearly isn't 100% true to the movie." Give me a break. I think the magazine provides tons of information that isn't necessarily available to the majority of us and they do it with some humor. It isn't the gospel, it's just a resource.

Yes, their price guide has may holes in it but I haven't seen one yet that doesn't. As the old saying goes, it's only worth what someone pays for it. And as Lman316 said, chances are someone is paying that price for those figures/toys.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Originally posted by Lman316
    The celebrity toy, not toys you won't believe. It's one toy: Stephen Hawking. So, that's not lying.

Who said they lied?

Originally posted by Exhaust Port
    The problem arises is when you just look at the pictures and don't read the articles.
    What article?
    Like I said, there was a pic and then a tiny caption to the left . . . this is in the mag's table of contents.
    Am I supposed to read the tiny print before taking notice of a Mark Hammill
    photo?

Sorry, my bad.

Originally posted by Caesar

Who said they lied?

Um...why, no one did. No one did at all. This thread was all just a dream, Caesar. Just a dream. :happy:
    And we all just dreamed about that Mark Hamil figure, you see. Yeah, dreamed it. That's the ticket. Yeah.

End...
    They call them fingers, and yet they don't fing. Noodle that one for a while.
    "Logic dictates we haul @$$." - Mego Spock from Twisted Toyfare Theater; Issue #59

Ok, so maybe you don't consider it an article but there are 4 opening paragraphs that basically explain what the following 2 pages are about. Personally I read this before diving into the rest of the pages and wasn't suprised that those figures were customs done for Toyfare.

I rarely believe what I see until I've read any associated text in Toyfare or anyother magazine for that matter. It usually lessens the number of times I find myself misled.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Hello, everyone.

Man, I never expected this article to be so confusing. We do a lot of "we wanna see it" articles with customs, it just happens that with this one, Playmates announced they were making a Stephen Hawking after we commissioned it, so we put it in the article. It was not meant to be misleading, like I said we do it all the time.

As for the guide, Yeah, it's still a little off in places, but in my defense, the Iron cross He-man was only listed at $50 when it first came out and the speculation was high. It dropped heavily in the next issue and it's currently listed at $16. (I'm trying to get the prices fixed in the rest of the guide, but the research is fairly slow going. I'm actually the first ToyFare price guide editor. Before me, one guy did all three of our guides.)

Jon Gutierrez
    price guide editor
    ToyFare & Anime Invasion