Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Original Trilogy Worship vs. Prequel Defenders

For some time now, I and a few others, have brought up numerous issues and concerns having to do with the Prequels. Our discussions have primarily centered around story conflicts within TPM and AOTC themselves and Saga conflicts which span across the entire epic (thus far).

Almost without exception, our arguments have been bulletproof in suggesting that the Prequels are altering the continuity that the Original Trilogy laid down. However, several members here insist that said conflicts do not in fact exist and that "we" are targeting the Prequels unfairly because of "Original Trilogy Worship."

Aside from the pure silliness of such a statement (what purpose would anyone on the planet have to just want to hate a movie so much as to spend time talking about it ), part of the argument has been that the Original Trilogy was too, full of story conflicts and other plot altering inconsistencies. Not to mention the supposed bad dialogue that is in league with some of the Prequel's doozies (ie, Anakin: Yippee!).

So anyhow, what this thread is about is listing all of these "problems" that the Original Trilogy supposedly has. The problems that can be considered bad enough to alter the story or continuity plus all the really bad dialogue. This is the chance for Prequel Defenders to gather in one place the truckloads of continuity story-altering problems that the Original Trilogy possesses which puts it on par with the problems in the Prequels.

Ponda Babas arm is not instantly cauterized when Ben cuts it off.

Later, in ESB, lukes hand wound is.

Re: Original Trilogy Worship vs. Prequel Defenders

Originally posted by stillakid

Aside from the pure silliness of such a statement (what purpose would anyone on the planet have to just want to hate a movie so much as to spend time talking about it ),
    Have you NEVER visited the AInt it Cool message boards?

Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
    Ponda Babas arm is not instantly cauterized when Ben cuts it off.

Later, in ESB, lukes hand wound is.
    It does alter continuity that Ponda's arm isn't cauterized, but it isn't a significant story problem. For example, the addition of Qui Gon Jinn upsets the established continuity that Kenobi was trained by Yoda. That sort of thing.

Have you NEVER visited the AInt it Cool message boards?
    Good point! But I promise I'm not one of them.

It does alter continuity that Ponda's arm isn't cauterized, but it isn't a significant story problem. For example, the addition of Qui Gon Jinn upsets the established continuity that Kenobi was trained by Yoda. That sort of thing.

Ben has a history of Omitting certain pieces of info about the history of the problem to Luke. Now that we've seen yoda training
    young padawans, it makes sense that he at some point trained child obi wan. He also was an obvious mentor to obi wan throughout life, so what obi wan told luke was true, from a certain point of view.

Ben has a history of Omitting certain pieces of info about the history of the problem to Luke. Now that we've seen yoda training
    young padawans, it makes sense that he at some point trained child obi wan. He also was an obvious mentor to obi wan throughout life, so what obi wan told luke was true, from a certain point of view.
    There are oodles of threads that put that line of argument to rest...definitively.

But that's not what this thread is about, so I won't rebute it again. I want to know what is wrong with the OT. Why is is soooo terrible.

Aqualish suddenly have multiple eyes in the prequels. That's one that really bugs me.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

There are oodles of threads that put that line of argument to rest...definitively.

But that's not what this thread is about, so I won't rebute it again. I want to know what is wrong with the OT. Why is is soooo terrible.
    I'd rather you did refute it, as I haven't seen any of these threads you speak of.

And, don't get me wrong, I love the OT in ways I could never love the prequels. I just think they get unfairly criticized....

There's no point when your criticisms are defended as fact, while my enjoyment of Qui-Gonn's inclusion is just discarded as being OK "in light of the obvious problems"

I'm not sure where you're going with this - just because I like TPM and AOTC and don't agree with some of your opinions on them, why do I have to come out and cite
    what is wrong with the OT. Why is is soooo terrible.
    It's not terrible, it's awesome!

Clones is my favorite, why do I have to defend that by digging out things from the OT that I don't like just to "prove" AOTC isn't as bad as other people think it is?

But since you asked.

Much like stillakid argues that Anakin is so irrational and behaves irrationally in AOTC, I feel the same way about Han in ESB.

I mean, what kind of rationale would he have to go to Bespin?
    Lando is there, what would be the point?

Leia: Do you trust him?
    Han: No, but he is my friend.

Jeez, I trust all of my friends, I can't believe someone so suave as Han could be that irrational in a time of stress like that.

It is completely illogical that Han Solo would take Leia to Bespin, it was just a way for Kasden to get the whole cast together at the end of the movie for that shoe-horned cliffhanger.