Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I had to do it LBC, I looked it up, Monopoly first aired on ABC on June 16th, 1990, it ran 2 months. Apparently, me and my mom aren't the only people who still hum the theme song.

Bel-Cam, I always thought Double Dare looked like a cool show, but the final obsticle course looked too difficult, I can think of only a handful of instances where a team went all the way. When it became "Family Double Dare", it got a little strained but even then still remained classic.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

re: Double-Dare

My son went to a taping of that show (just in the audience) at Uni Studios H-wood back around 1989/90. I remember everyone was given neat t-shirts with the show logo. That show did look like a lot of family fun.
    Last edited by SWAFMAN; 10-30-2001 at 09:44 AM.
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

I'm sitting here now watching The Price Is Right, and one question just comes up over and over. What do they have to do to these people to get this level of excitement out of them? Has there ever been anyone on the show that was anything less than exploding with excitement? It's just strange, you see these people about to kill themselves and everyone around them running down to Contestant's Row. I know they're giving stuff away, but sometimes I just want everyone to calm down a little. Sometimes I'm embarrassed for them.
    Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Originally posted by Fulit
    I'm sitting here now watching The Price Is Right, and one question just comes up over and over. What do they have to do to these people to get this level of excitement out of them? Has there ever been anyone on the show that was anything less than exploding with excitement? It's just strange, you see these people about to kill themselves and everyone around them running down to Contestant's Row. I know they're giving stuff away, but sometimes I just want everyone to calm down a little. Sometimes I'm embarrassed for them.
    Well put, Fulit. I've been feeling the same way for a long time.

It's just a toaster, people. Calm down!

re: I know they're giving stuff away but sometimes I just want everyone to calm down

Ah, young Fulit, one day you will reach the age when your lechery has fully matured and you'll encourage their excitement - particularly when they are skimpy-tee-shirt-wearing female contestants, well-endowed and excited and preferrably a bit chilly!

Yes, yes, jump up and down, you happy contestant!

(boy, do I ever feel cheap and ashamed)

Last edited by SWAFMAN; 10-30-2001 at 07:25 PM.
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

Re: re: I know they're giving stuff away but sometimes I just want everyone to calm down

Originally posted by SWAFMAN
    Ah, young Fulit, one day you will reach the age when your lechery has fully matured and you'll encourage their excitement - particularly when they are skimpy-tee-shirt-wearing female contestants, well-endowed and excited and preferrably a bit chilly!

Yes, yes, jump up and down, you happy contestant!

(boy, do I ever feel cheap and ashamed)

When that happens, I'll post it here. For now, I'm focusing on Barker's Beauties.
    Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Fulit, I think most of the contestants that go on the show go on it because they LOVE the show and have been watching all their lives. While anybody can get tickets, if you look at that audience shots, most of them are wearing shirts designed to say something to Bob Barker and the show; Barker seems to bring out the giggles in women of all ages and ethnic backgrounds; so between those reasons and the fact that they're on TV, I think the high level of excitement makes sense. Plus, have you ever watched when some confused person comes up to contestant row, it just kills the pace of the show, the excitement dies and the only things Barker can do is molly-coddle the contestant or make light fun of them. Better to have excited folks than those Jeopardy contestants who look like they just took a handful of prozac.

Plus, anybody who gets up to contestants' row is guaranteed to get a prize of at least $100 in quality, plus they get to chat with Barker between commercials.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Do you still support your position, JT, now that it has changed hands? I don't mind Drew Carey, but he's no Bob Barker.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

I have watched a few episodes of TPIR over the last few days (can't normally because of work), and let me be the first to say, Drew Carey is no Bob Barker.

The excitement that Bob used to generate with the pricing games like opening the last ticket in "Punch-A-Bunch" is now absent, replaced with something that makes the show less watchable.

I don't think he is doing a horrible job, but the problem with many gameshows of this generation (the Pyramid, Family Feud), is that the hosts for the show have been celebrities who had hits in other genres (that are usually on the downward path) that do not capture the essence of the gameshow host from the 1970's. To be a great gameshow host, you have to be part politician, part used-car salesman, part weatherman, part counselor. Watch the classic shows on the Gameshow Network and take notes on the many greats that are featured. Richard Dawson, Gene Rayburn, Alan Ludden, Bob Eubanks, Jim Perry, and Bill Cullen, are all masters at their craft. I haven't seen a host in a while, on any gameshow (save Regis Philbin and Ann Robinson) that has me thinking of those gameshow giants.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Bob was The Price Is Right. I don't foresee it being around much longer than another season or two.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008