Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    It's an embarassment, and I don't even dislike Drew Carey. This could ruin his career and, sad to say, he probably saw it as his guaranteed ticket to even more naked chicks in his hot tub.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138 View Post
    Do you still support your position, JT, now that it has changed hands? I don't mind Drew Carey, but he's no Bob Barker.
    No way, it's DOA. Part of the problem is Drew's not particularly good at the job, so he's just kinda always chuckling at the oddity of it all, laughing at the fact that they keep paying him for this. He just robs the show of its energy, and not that it ever had dignity, but Bob Barker took the games just seriously enough to make them compelling while still fun; Drew doesn't have that at all.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

He's too "cool" for the job. You hit the nail on the head, JT - Bob took it just seriously enough.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Another (much less well known) host taking over for a game show veteran: Bill Engvall reboots Chuck Woolery's Lingo. I watched it yesterday, on the Game Show Network. I liked the original show, which also had a "co-host" who typed in letters and updated contestants' scores and letters, as well as keeping Chuck from talking to himself or forced to create his own banter. I will say, that I laughed harder at this first episode more than I normally would at a game show. But it is unlikely that I'll rush home to catch every show.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I was visiting my parents, and, apparently, my mom watches game shows all day long. When The Price Is Right came on, I asked her who was hosting it. She told me Bob Barker wasn't doing it anymore, and that it's Drew Carey now. I told her I hadn't recognized him. She commented that he's lost a lot of weight. "It's not the weight, though. He doesn't look like Drew Carey. He looks like a zombie from 1950."

Yeah, he was looking good until recently, now he looks very unhealthy. But he's running marathons or something like that, so I guess he's doing ok.

"Lingo", one of the rare gameshows I've not heard of.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    "Lingo", one of the rare gameshows I've not heard of.
    It combines (as 2 two-player teams competing) "language" (guessing 5-letter words when given the first letter) and "bingo" (pulling numbered balls to get a five-n-a-row combination). That's where the "Binguage" show name comes from... I mean "Lingo."
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

While Drew's hosting has gotten better, the show itself has denigrated. The average win rate the past season for a typical show (which has 6 pricing games) was on average 2 or less per show. The games became so difficult that going against conventional wisdom, the audience, and all logic was the only way to win at certain points. Producers tried to make up for it by supersizing the showcases at the end of the show (featuring snazzier cars and more exotic trips), but very few people really prefer the disappointment of the pricing games to the more expensive show cases. Also the amount of themed shows such as Father's Day, April Fools Day, etc. and guests plugging their products on the showcases have skyrocketed over the past season or so.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.