Worlds Oldest Lightbulb

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8158565/the_worlds_oldest_light_bulb_still.html

Described in the Guinness Book of World Record's as the oldest light bulb in the world, this bulb just celebrated its 110th birthday on June 18,2011. The Livermore, Ca. Station 6 firehouse is home to this record
    setting light bulb.

The 60 watt light bulb that just won't quit was installed in 1901 and has burned continuously, except for a few blackouts and some outlet moves, at it's home home in the Livermore Ca., fire station. It's used as a nightlight over the firetrucks and is never turned off.

I read about this lightbulb last year. I thought that was pretty amazing!!!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Yeah, I first read about the buld 5 years ago.

I've been wanting to stop by and see the bulb, you know, maybe bring a sling shot or something.

Interestingly enough the bulb has been at the heart of a conspiracy theory for a while now. The theory is that we have the ability to make light bulbs that last much much much longer than current bulbs, but that bulb manufactures intentionally make them in a way that limits their life so as to sell more bulbs. Often times people will point to this little guy as proof positive!

May the force be with you.

Well, economics courses talk about the concept of "planned obsolescence," where a product is designed to break down eventually on purpose, therefore creating a repeat customer. How can you stay in business AND buy your yacht if your product's too good to fall apart? And, how would garbage dump workers stay employed?

I recall reading about this bulb also, but I don't remember where (online? newspaper? other?).
    "That's what Sheev said."