Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Superman redux 2004

i just read that brett ratner(rush hour, red dragon) has been signed to direct the new superman movie, scheduled for release in 2004. he said it will be a re-telling of superman's origins, and anthony hopkins may play Jor-El. he said no one has yet been cast to play superman, but they are looking for an actor under 25.
    j.j. abrams, the creator of "alias" has written the script.

what does this mean for the rumored batman vs. superman film? are there going to be 2 different actors playing superman? hopefully the batman vs. superman movie has been dumped. what's next, the hulk vs. wolverine?

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/ae/1582150
    Last edited by derek; 09-21-2002 at 02:00 PM.

Anthony Hopkis?

UGH.

That just seems......wrong....I hope they don't over-"star" it. But a bunch of big name people in it to draw mega-bucks, then ruin it.

They should let Christopher Lloyd play Jor-El
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

Yay, let's devote another hour and a half to the grossly-overtold tale of Kal-el's origins. Feh! We have 2 hours to tell a Superman story, everybody going to the theater knows who he is and doesn't need yet another reminding. There's supposed to be a story to be had there and it shouldn't be bogged down by Krypton's death. Stupid WB.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yeah, JT. They should have left Spider-Man's origins out of the new movie also. As well as Batman's in the Tim Burton films. They shouldn't deal with any of the villians origins in movies either. It has to be dealt with in the first movie, even though almost everyone knows how they came to be.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

hey jeditricks,

for those of us in the "reeves" generation, i completely understand where you are coming from. but with the success of X-men and spiderman the WB is thinking "franchise" here.

as i typed to QLD in another thread, i can almost guarantee there will be 3 more superman films.

so far, my only hope this film will be half-way decent is that the writer, j.j. abrams, has done a really good job with "alias", so there is a glimmer of hope.

Frankly I still say they should use Kevin Smith's Superman script. I have read it and it's pretty damn good. It sucks that Tim Burton dismissed it when he was in charge, and now noone is going to do it. Hopefully they will decide to dust it off for a future Superman sequel.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

X-men and Spider-man were tales never told on the big screen before. Burton's '89 Batman film did not show the origin of the character - it showed the origin of the Joker and only briefly alluded to Batman's origins - and that film is what reignited the current comic book movie trend and is largely considered the benchmark for such films.

In contrast, Superman's origins have been told on the big screen twice already, enough is enough, we don't need to see the kid lifting the car off of Jonathan Kent anymore. And since the Reeves movies, there have been 2, maybe even 3 TV series that dealt with the origins of Superman (one of which is currently airing now and has been augmenting the middle years) - this is already the most overtold story in comic book lore and now they want to do it again?!?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I hope they don't re-do Superman. I think they should use CGI to create Christopher Reeve for a 5th film, but they should NOT remake it!

And it wont be the same without Johnny Williams' amazing theme .

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

And it wont be the same without Johnny Williams' amazing theme .
    good thought pendo!
    they have to have williams score these new films!
    if they don't, it would almost be like having a new star wars theme for the prequils.

I am in almost complete agreement with JT. The origin of superman is universally known....

In any new film, it need only take 10 minutes of screen time to explain...

Then again....hopefully they'll scrap it when they get hold of My JLA script........

unfortunately...I'm having trouble getting it below a Lord of the rings type running time,.