Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up What do you think of Evolutions?

I think they are cool, yet odd. I think they look really cool and have some cool info, nothing new, but still cool. However, I think the character choices for some of them are odd. Did you notice they have Wald? Why would anyone want a Wald card? And they also did Zutton! For crying out loud, if they wanted to do an alien from the Cantina they could have done Dr. Evazan! And they also left out Emperor Palpatine, they did Senator Palpatine, but not Emperor. Other than some of the character selection, I think it is pretty cool. I have all of the base set except for damn Jar Jar Binks and Depa Billaba. Arg! I got an autograph, and a cool one too! I got Kenny Baker's autograph! I know he is only an A, but it is a good A. Better than someone who you never hear of like Michael Sheard (Ozzel.) I would have preffered James Earl Jones or one of the B or C autographs, of course. Well, what do you think?
    "Sometimes we are lucky enough to know our lives have been changed, to discard the old and embrace the new and run headlong down an immutable course."
    ~ Jacques Cousteau
    Great Traders: CowherPower

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"

What do you think of the card section in general...

What do I think? I think I just saw a tumbleweed roll by. Man, the card section is dead. Not at all the lively center of randomness it once was in the OLD Forums. It's sad really. I think the Star Wars collecting population sees card collectors as the trailer trash of the collecting world. Or the lepers. Whatever analogy you thing works best. I collect Decipher cards but whats the point of posting about it if you are the only one who reads your own posts? This section is an effrontery to what the Card:Other section once was and it should be drowned in a bucket of cold water or put out of it's own misery. Call it forum euthanasia. It's like listening to that old codger in the bar going on about who great he was in the prime of his life, but now he's just a bitter old wretch who sits there and downs screwdriver after screwdriver wallowing in his own misery reliving past glories. Who wants this constant reminder hanging around that the Card:Other section was once the crowning glory of the SSG forums. The very lifeblood that made the SSG unique and exciting, filled with intelligent posts on every subject, Star Wars related or not. How many classic and well known SSG rituals started in those very posts? Icons of Shame, Post padding, Icon Wars, Sly Wiley ... I could go on and on. At it's peak, a single thread in the Card:Other would dominate over even other entire SECTIONS. Ahhhh it was a grand old time and much fun was had by all. But alas, it's been replaced by this stodgy, decrepid section which burns my eyes every time I scroll by it and see yet another day has gone by with no responses at all. It's been made all the worse because the Misc section is now at the bottom of the scroll and to get there is like walking by an abandoned alley to get to the new Mega Mall. I make this challenge to you. Allow the poor saps who make this wonderful SSG world a fun and happy place, the GNTs, the Jargos, the bigbaradas, the Rollo Tomassis, the master jedis, the Bel Cam Jos...allow them to recreate the greatest thread in the world here in the Card section "I don't even collect the cards, but..." or mercifully put this section out of it's misery by applying the metaphoric syringe of death to it's sickly, unglorious forearm. Thank you for your time.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Question Umm....

Umm........ok...... What ever you say. Just calm down. I don't know what is wrong with you but take it easy. I think that the cards section isn't read very often because no one really collects the decipher cards and toys at the same time, very few people, although i used to. If you collected both, you would be bankrupt.
    "Sometimes we are lucky enough to know our lives have been changed, to discard the old and embrace the new and run headlong down an immutable course."
    ~ Jacques Cousteau
    Great Traders: CowherPower

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    I DO collect both actually.

Head over to the Card section in the Old Forums and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Arrow

"I don't even collect the cards, but..." is perhaps the greatest quote used on this site.

Eternal Padawan, I agree with you in principle. However, as a Moderator, I am now supposed to limit such posts, as much as I hate to admit that, if they aren't SW-related or on-topic. I had planned to ask Sir Steve if there could be a place or way to allow such threads, even if the post counts would not be added to the regular totals. We'll see.

But I miss those times...
    "That's what Sheev said."

Lightbulb

But maybe if we wish hard enough, it'll come true. The Force is insignificant next to the power to post funny threads!
    "That's what Sheev said."

Wow, I wish I could tell you what I think of Evolutions but I don't have any.
    I remember seeing ads for them last fall, and I thought I really should buy some. But 6 months later and I first now recall them . . . how big is this set? Do any dealers still carry them? I think I will try to hunt some down . . . the Obi-Wan card they always showed in the promos looked very cool. I like the concept, even if there are silly omissions like Senator / Emperor Palpatine.

I'm looking to get back into card collecting.
    Last edited by 2-1B; 05-27-2002 at 08:35 PM.

My opinion on Evolution

I had the original SW cards as a kid (never a complete set, though) and started collecting SW cards again in earnest at about the same time SW was making a resurgence.

Evolution is a nice set but, like the others, I question Topps' choices in some of the characters profiled. It was nice to see Imperials and Rebel commanders profiled but secondary characters?

I bought a complete set of these cards and several (countless, really!) packs. I only found two A cards (traded for a third just in the last two months), and no B or autograph cards. I've thought about buying A and B sets from vendors but that's a low priority now.

The trading card aspect of SW has really dropped off. During PM, I attempted to sell an extra set of cards to local comic shops but couldn't find any takers. I ended up trading or giving them away to friends and fellow fans.

I picked up a basic set tonight for $7 , I'm happy with it considering I paid so
    little . . . but what the hell is this "evolution" they are talking about? Maybe there's some info on the back (I haven't read them yet) but the promo I got awhile back has Alec Guiness and Ewan McGregor TOGETHER.
    And now I have cards of Yaddle (why not throw ESB Yoda on there with her?)
    Wald (why not throw ANH Greedo on there?)
    I assumed old and young Palps would be together on a card . . . kinda like Hasbro's Flashback series.

Those aren't even complaints . . . just confusions . . .

I saw a dealer "selling" individual Evolution cards at Wizard World, and noticed he had one of Jake and Hayden.
    I'm guessing it's one of the promos (my set only had the basics) but that was released last year, right?
    That's kinda cool if they released an Anakin card with Hayden before the movie even opened. Anyway, I asked the guy what he wanted for the cards and he said $3 each. I passed, thinking it was too much.

But that was BEFORE I bought my set of Evolution, and now that I reflect on it, I wish I would have gone back and bought that Anakin card for $3. Underneath it was a Han Solo card, the same as I got in my set. For that guy to sell single cards at $3, I think he's crazy . . . but since he had a promo mixed in there, I wouldn't have been overpaying too much.

Oh well.