Hybrid View

Universal Monsters on DVD

I just recently purchased an out of production 8-disc boxed set of classic Universal monster films. The set includes Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolf Man, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Invisible Man, Mummy, and Phantom of the Opera. Does anyone else own this set? If so, I have a question about it. I noticed that the UPC codes on every disc case have a dark circle printed on them, and that a couple of the cases are slightly damaged where the discs snap into them. I'm not sure why Universal does this with their value packs, but I am pretty sure that it is common. Has anyone else realized this with their purchases of Universal value packs, especially the Universal Classic Monster Collection that I am referring to here? Also feel free to discuss these films. Don't get me wrong, I love this purchase and would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of this magnificent genre! The commentaries and documentaries are highly informative. I was especially impressed with the Bride of Frankenstein disc.

The black circle is to invalidate the UPC on the DVD case. Sometimes even a hole punched. It is there whenever you buy a gift set with multiple titles in them. It's there so that you can't take the seperate DVD's out of the slip case and return them to the store. Since usually buying the DVD's seperatly would be more expensive then buying the box set. Let me guess, you bought the set from BlockBuster when it was mispriced for really cheap? BTW, the case damage is not normal. But you can easily switch DVD cases on the damaged ones.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Thanks for the UPC information Jar Jar. It makes perfect sense. I just purchased it from Amazon before they recently sold out. Do you own this set? If so, which is your favorite film in the set? If not, it's awesome, so pick it up if you see it sitting on a shelf somewhere. Do you know why the cases are slightly damaged on these value packs? Thanks again.

No I didn't purchase the set, I've been reading about some possible re-issues in the future with some more extra features so they have been religated to a wait and see attitude. Not to mention this year is killer for all the long wanted releases and big blockbusters that have been released.

Of the films in the set, I would have to go with the 3 original Classic films. Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Wolfman. Bride of Frankenstien is up there as well. I do like the Creature from the Black Lagoon, but I'm waiting in hope of a re-issue in the original 3-D format. The rest are ok, but definatly not Tops in my book.

As I said about the damaged case, just swap it out with an un-damaged one. You can buy keep cases pretty cheap in stores like Media Play, and you can get even better deals on-line. It seems like it was just bad luck that the cases were a bit damaged. As long as the discs are fine, thats the important thing.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

My young Padawan, I'm a huge fan of classic horror films. Especially the Universal pictures. I personally have Frankenstein, Dracula and The Wolfman. I bought them individually. And I'm working on frying to get them all. Even the ones that didn't come in the box set. Yes there are more!

My favorites are Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman and Ghost of Frankenstein. Though I'm a big fan of the Frankenstein movies anyways.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

Get them fast, Jayspawn. I am noticing that many of the Universal films are no longer available unless you go to the secondary market. By the way, if you are a fan of classic horror, you must have enjoyed Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow as much as I did. What a tribute!