Thread: Boil and Pop

Question Boil and Pop

Hey folks, pardon my ignorance on the subject but I've heard people talk about swapping heads and using a technique called Boil and Pop.

Well since i've never actually read how to do this I thought I'd ask. I mean, i'm sure you there is "boiling" and "poping" involved in the process, but can someone give me the steps no matter how simple or detailed they are?

Thanks

I'm not really sure about it myself, I just thought I would take this opportunity to tell you that this is in the wrong section.

Actually, I assume you simply submerge the figures in boiling (or very, very hot) water and that should soften them up enough to "pop" their arms, legs, head, whatever out and stick them on whatever figure you are swapping with. That's as near as I can figure it.

As posted by BigBarada, yep this is in the wrong section, and may be moved.

The boil and pop method is simple. Best to tie a piece of string around a figure, then put into hot/boiling water for about 2mins.

Pull the figure back out of the water buy the string and place onto a towel or similar cloth.

**Beware Figure Is Very Hot, and may contain water **

Then gently pull any, or all the limbs out, and voila figure decapitated.

You can also place a pair of long-nosed pliers into an empty limb hole and prise the body apart.

That's it from me.
    TK6540 of the UK Garrison

Originally posted by bigbarada
    I'm not really sure about it myself, I just thought I would take this opportunity to tell you that this is in the wrong section.

Actually, I assume you simply submerge the figures in boiling (or very, very hot) water and that should soften them up enough to "pop" their arms, legs, head, whatever out and stick them on whatever figure you are swapping with. That's as near as I can figure it.
    BigB has most of the idea right, as I have done this myself, I can say this: Just boil some water in a pot and then pour it into a big bowl, then put the figure in the bowl for a minute or two. After the figure has softened up, use a towel on both ends of the figure to hold and to pull with. Do not use anything metal like pliers because this will damage the plastic. i.e. leave marks or scars. Once you have pulled the head off you can swap it with the body you want to use. Use the same method (boil and then insert the head pole back into the body using a flathead micro screwdriver. (Thatís what I use and it works great)
    Also if you want to swap legs and arms, you will notice once you have the head off the figure, that there is a plastic rod inside the torso that keeps it together. Take a small hobby knife and cut this carefully, once that is done you will be able to remove the arms and legs. Then to put it back together put the legs, arms and head in place and then glue it back together carefully so that you don't glue your arms legs and head so that they don't move. Here is a link for more info http://www.ffurg.com/
    Last edited by DarthBrandon; 09-25-2002 at 04:37 PM.
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!

Thanks for the detailed explanation Brandon. Sorry folks that this topic was in the wrong section.

No problem, anything to help out another collector/customizer.

Good luck with your project, and post some pics later when it's done.
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!

Man, I thought this was a recipe for making a dish, maybe lobster.HeHE
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".