Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thumbs up StarWars.Com - Widescreen vs. Fullscreen Article!!

Since any discussion of the E2 DVD releases end up discussing OAR and P&S, I'm glad to see that StarWars.Com has decided to put an article up about the differences, and include some great screenshots that show you exactly what your missing when you watch a P&S movie. Here's a link, enjoy and post your comments. I'll post mine after I'm done reading. But the framing of some of the Fullscreen images are horrible. BTW Mods, this is a seperate post from the DVD thread, as it ties into a larger issue, please don't merge it.

http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/f...925/index.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Re: StarWars.Com - Widescreen vs. Fullscreen Article!!

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    Since any discussion of the E2 DVD releases end up discussing OAR and P&S, I'm glad to see that StarWars.Com has decided to put an article up about the differences, and include some great screenshots that show you exactly what your missing when you watch a P&S movie. Here's a link, enjoy and post your comments. I'll post mine after I'm done reading. But the framing of some of the Fullscreen images are horrible. BTW Mods, this is a seperate post from the DVD thread, as it ties into a larger issue, please don't merge it.

http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/f...925/index.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Introducing Master Jar Jar Binks.. head of the widescreen republic council.. he dispatches Jedi all over the galaxy to defeat the full screen seperatist union

Widescreen is definitely best... it's how Lucas intended us to see it... it's how all movies should be seen.
    Take a look at my attached pic... you can't even see Anakin Skywalker on the full screen one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69240_bg.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	4070  
    Last edited by Darth Trymybestus; 09-25-2002 at 09:29 PM.

Yeah, they should really do away with Fullscreen, there's no use for it.

I prefer widescreen mainly because you get it the way it was filmed and was presented in theaters. You actually get more of the picture in widescreen even though it may be smaller. On fullscreen they whack off the sides of the picture.

I think full screen isn't too bad on a smaller tv... but it sucks seeing a movie fullscreen after you've seen the movie in widescreen.
    I've got the phantom menace full screen VHS, I recently bought the widescreen DVD and now I can't stand the full screen phantom menace, it seems almost claustrophobic. Do you guys agree?

Thanks for posting that link JJB. I've forwarded it to people I know.

Darth Trymybestus, agreed, claustrophobic to say the least.

Yes, widescreen is best. For years I was watching the classic trilogy on fullscreen, then when the Special Ed. came out, I bought the widescreen version and realized how much I was missing. Since then I always get the widescreen version.
    But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some Star Wars figures!!!

I'm glad StarWars.com are finaly trying to show the fans that wider is better! Now that official Star Wars sources are showing that full screen is, well let's face it - crap, perhaps some of those who prefer fullscreen will change their minds and go for widescreen .

Most film enthusiasts will point you towards the widescreen edition. This is the version that best preserves the filmmaker's original intent. You get to see the entire frame as it was envisioned; nothing gets cut out. Considering how visually dense a Star Wars movie is, scenes like the Geonosian arena, the Clone War ground battle or the Coruscant speeder chase are jam-packed with characters and action, so cropping the image invariably results in losing some intricately-designed detail. Easter egg-hunting viewers won't be able to find the X-wing and TIE fighters in the full screen Episode II DVD, for example; they were cropped out of frame in order to fit the more important action on the screen.

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

As much as GL is trying to cram digital projection down the industry's throat you'd think he would also take a stand on this issue. How could he let his movie vision be chopped up just so some people can miss half the image? I guess he allows it in the name of money.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Well... I, for one, have always been an advocate for widescreen. There are a few movies... mostly those fluff romantic comedies- that really don't need widescreen. However... it IS the director's desire to fill the entire screen with an image and everything is planned for that reason. When one goes chopping up an image... the visual integrity of the film ends up suffering greatly.

Television stations across Europe have been showing theatrical films on television in widescreen for at LEAST the last decade and a half. It's about time we really catch on to what is "only natural!!!"
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**