Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Lame Commentary and other silliness

The commentary track on the TPM DVD is pretty bad from what I have seen. Just a lot of "this was done with CGI, that was done with CGI." McCallum appears to have made the movie, because George seems to be squarely in the background. I enjoy commentary tracks that are a little more anecdotal- the one from Ghostbusters comes to mind.

I liked the documentaries, but some ominous things were said by GL. He likes Lloyd because he's "unpredictable," he recycles plotlines because they are supposed to "ryhme" like a tonal poem (puh-lease), and "you can screw these things up, I made American Graffitti 2 and it made about 10 cents."
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Most people consider it to be a pretty good commentary track, but to each his own. Just remeber we are talking about serious movie makers. If you want a goofy fun-filled audio commentary stick to Kevin Smith's movies audio commentaries. Anything on movies like these are usually going to be mostly technical. I thought the tone-poem idea for Anakin's and Luke's lives works well. They are on the same path, but at certain important points in their lives, they make different choices.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I thought the commentary for Episode I was EXCELLENT and can't wait for the Episode II one! The commentary is just what I wanted!
    I agree with JJB, if you want a goofy commentary then I recoment Kevin Smith too. I listened to the commentary to Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back last night !!!

TPM Audio Commentary is my favourite of all time though .

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

You guys are right in guessing my tastes. The K Smith commentaries are some of my favorite ones. I am curious to hear the track on Dogma. Maybe I should start a thread dedicated to cool commentaries and why we like them?
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Yes, I thought TPM commentary was good too, and I really enjoyed The Beggining. One part of The Beggining did bother me though, it was when George said "We'll never be Titanic". Made it seem like he was disappointed with himself when I honestly do not think he needed to be.

I liked it, but it could have been better. With all of those different people on it, it's a bit broken - they aren't all sitting around together, they just plug in different commentaries at different points. In that respect, it lacks the fluidity that I would enjoy more.
    AOTC's commentary list is just as long (if not longer), I'm expecting the same results.

I have to agree,the Episode I commentary was great."The Beginning" was probably my favorite of all commentaries,seeing what goes into the movie and seeing how much fun everyone was having(Well..except for Rick in Tunsia)Like Caesar,I thought the commentary could have put edited better to flow,but what can you do.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

I have been watching the DVD with the commentary, and have been enjoying it. I think the commentary from everyone but Lucas has been excellent. It is interesteing to me to hear Ben Burt talk about how he came up with the sounds for the scenes. I think Lucas gets a little too expository on some of his scenes and what he's intending.

I find it interesting to hear that the people talking seem to be having fun working on the film, and aren't "geeks" like some of us (okay me.) They leave the story stuff up to George, and let him agree or disagree to it.

I actually really enjoy the commentary.
    B.M.D. 2/29-4/22 Remembered, Loved, and Missed -ALWAYS

Me fail english??? That's un-possible

Hello......My name is Boba Fett......You killed my father.......Prepare to Die!! -Boba Fett to Mace Windu in Star Wars
    Episode 3 - Return of the Princess Bride

Still Hatin' the Evil Empire

I love the Audio Commentary, I think it is the greatest ever and will not be beaten, but I think a fan commentary would be cool. LucasFilm gets a bunch of fans and lets them talk wild about their favourite scenes, their theories and their views. it would be so cool .

Anyone agree?

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
    I have to agree,the Episode I commentary was great."The Beginning" was probably my favorite of all commentaries,seeing what goes into the movie and seeing how much fun everyone was having(Well..except for Rick in Tunsia)
    That was one of my favorite parts of the documentary. McCally was about to flip, and GL showed what a cool cat he is. He totally blew it off saying they had the same thing happen during ANH, and went about his business.