Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Obi Wan's Vanishing Act

This has probably come up before, and I apologize profusely for repeating it if it has, but I was just watching ANH the other day and was wondering if there is an explanation somewhere for why Obi Wan disappears so quickly?

We saw Yoda slowly fade away, and the "fate" of Anakin's body, as I've heard it 'round town, is unclear (he did vanish, he didn't )

Anyhow, from what we do know about Yoda fading away, what is the explanation for Obi Wan not being sliced in half and falling to the floor first, before vanishing into thin air? Did he disappear at the moment of impact, mid-slice, or on the way down?

The reason that Yoda faded away so slowly was because he was dieing of old age. Not getting cut in half by a friggen lightsaber. :happy:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I remember GL mentioning that the vanishing act and why Qui Gon didn't are suppose to be addressed before the conclusion of Ep. III. The article where I read this was right after TPM and seemed to imply that it would be answered in AOTC but obviously that didn't happen. I hope he don't forget for Ep III.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Exhaust Port, I recall that article also. What was said was the reason some Jedi can maintain their presence after they die would be hinted at in AOTC's. That hint was Qui-Gon's shouting to Anakin, before he slaughters the Tusken's.

Going by the book, Yoda heard it and was confused as to how he's hearing Qui-Gon when he's one with the force. So that will likely lead to how Yoda learns and instructs Obi-Wan how to do the vanishing act.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I think, just like Ponda Baba's bloody arm on the floor, Lucas hadn't really worked out all the mechanics of lightsabers back then. Plus having a person flop to the floor in two pieces and then vanish would have rocketed the rating to R in 1977. Too gory and graphic for the movie back then.

A lot of these continuity glitches have to do with the real world process of making films and the fact that, despite what he says, Lucas didn't have everything planned out in his head back in 1973.

Obi-Wan didn't drop to the ground and dissapear slowly because they didn't have the technology to make it look right back then .

Really I think it has to do with the speed of death. Obi-Wan's death would have been sudden, he was sliced quickly and would be no way for him to still live, so his body dissapeared quickly.
    Yoda on the other hand died much slower than Obi-Wan thus his dissapearing act is slower.

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

But his spin doctors have certainly earned their "No Prize"s as a result....

(Info note for non-Marvel fans: No Prizes go to folks who a) identify continuity glitches in the comics and b) who provide a plausible explanation for the glitch!). JJB must have about 2000 of these things from LFL by now.

Oh, of course....the TOPIC....*ahem* I think that as soon as a Jedi gives himself up to the force as Obi Wan did, he becomes ethereal. I imagine Ben's fade as taking about as long as Yoda's did......the saber could be explained as passing through Ben's spirit form as opposed to an empty robe. Either that or he REALLY gave himself up to the force (maybe in the midst of all that he had to use the spirit-world Jedi little boys room....). Mind you, I could stand to watch that scene again, it's been nearly a month. !
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

i guess the deal is if they die suddely ie Qui-Gon they do not vanish when they died by old age or by become one with the force they vansih

Didn't 'Ol Ben die quickly?
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I think a good way to ecribe the dissapering act in E3 is when Windu gets cut down Obi-Wan is there and wittneses it and Windu dissapears. Obi either finishes off the guy who killed Mace or runs away and ends up asking Yoda about it. Then Yoda can teach Obi-Wan about the trick.
    "hopped up on Jar Jar Binks"