Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy Horrible People on the Internet

The Internet is such a large place filled with millions of different people, but why are so many people on it total D-heads?

I went into a chat room for the first time in years, and all some people seem to do is want to attack you! I don't know if it's just the chat room I went into or if they're all like that, but I mean WHY bother?!? People being loud mouthed in chat rooms really P's me off because you know that they're really sad little people who can't beat anyone up, so that's why they threaten to beat people up over the Internet, because they know they can't do it in real life.

For some reason a strange person started shouting abuse at me because I was eating a McDonalds as I was typing . The man wasn't even a vegeterian or anything like that so had no reason to be offended.

I think stricter measures should be taken in chat rooms by the people who created them. Does anybody agree?

SSG is a totaly different place to all that. Appart from a few incidents, there have been hardly any attacking and it is a very friendly atmosphere .

Has anyone else been abused in chat rooms for stupid reasons and what do you think could be done to stop that sort of thing?

Please keep bashing people OUT of this thread .

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

Yeah, I gave up on most chatrooms around 5 or 6 years ago. Now all you see is :

A/S/L

14 yo hottie lookin for sum cuties

etc....etc.....

It's really not even interesting anymore.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

any chance the chat room you stumbled into was actually titled "@$$hole$.com??"

on a serious note. The Internet chat room mentality is that youcan be anyone you want to be. Most people that are brash, or even d1cks online haven't got the stones to be in r/l. This is there way of being the cool big shot they hope to be, but never have achance of actually becoming in real life....

Nothing like chatting with people who spend their entire time in a "room" trying to counter the sad excuse of what they truely are in real life. Seriously, who ever falls for the fact that a hot woman is looking for a man in a chatroom is pathetic. Most of the rooms on AOL have gone away from what the topic is into something like this:

SEXYMAN: ANY GURLZ WANT 2 TALK???!!! tYPE 985743895775478578457 439587 3498573405897 and I WIL PRIVATE U!!!!!!!!!!!!111

LuvaMAN: 18/m/cali, i HAve a great boDY pm for more talk

And probably half of those people are pedophiles to begin with.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Chatrooms are really bad now adays, especially anything on AOL's servers. I frequent a few, but those ones are usually not very busy and are filled with people that actually want to have a conversation. The problem starts when people join those chatrooms so that they can use them as their own personal soap boxes and complain about the world. I would much rather chat with friends on AIM or on Mucks, then chatrooms most of the time anyway.

The internet is a wonderful place, but just like in RL it represents a cross-section of humanity. And if you know anything about humanity, you know that it has it's good eggs, bad eggs, and spoiled eggs. On-line your going to get a perfect representation of that. And some people need a reason to live, and that reason is to complain and whine about every little thing that bugs them. It's a fact of life, a sad one, but what can you really do about it.

I agree, this website is a hell of alot better then some of the chatrooms, and even some of the other forums out there. I think it's because Star Wars pretty much did what Lucas intended, it taught morals to young people, that at the time had no real storytellers to do that. Of course the community is plagued at times with people that would rather cause trouble then live in harmony, but that doesn't happen all that much. Mostly it's just the frustration of discussion and dealing with the people that really do look to cause problems that is the biggest cause of most trouble.

I'm partially responsable for that in a way, because I'm a passionate person, and I try to listen to people's opinions. I also am passionate about what I believe, so can be easily goaded into a degenerating conversation. I should really ignore people that do things like that, but I try to give people more chances then they sometimes deserve. And that it winds back up with square one again. Is it warrented on ocassion, sure. Most of the times it would probably be better to just ignore them. But I guess I value people's opinions to much to shut them out, even going to the limits to accept that some people just have quirks that grate on others.

Even the ones that push and push on things deserve a chance. The only things that really set me off is people that enjoy being rude, bashing people's differences, or making racist comments. Then you're likely to really see me go off on someone. Other then that, it's mostly sarcastic quips just as a stress reliever or joke. Some people just don't have that great a sense of humor. A discussion is fine, but when you take it to the limits of wanting to hurt someone over their opinion, or complaining about the person and not their opinion, then maybe you need to look at the argument again and see if they really mean what they say.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 10-03-2002 at 04:07 PM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I don't let these chatroom toughguys bother me. In fact, I get a kick out of them. They make me think of Joe Pesci in Leathal Weapon 4. I wonder if they truely think they are intimidating people who they can neither see nor find. I like to see how angry I can get these guys without ever saying anything that will get me in trouble.
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

An easy way to avoid insults in chat rooms- Don't go into them. I have been on the forums a whole lot lately, and I recently went into a chat room. Nobody respects you or anything like they do here. The worst arguments on these forums are nothing compared to normal conversation in chat rooms. My view-Stick with the forums. $crew the chat rooms.
    "Ohnomyfriendthisisamistakeaterriblemistaketheyhav egonetoofarthisismadness!" -Count Dooku, AOTC

Chat rooms suck. You get blasted for nothing more than wanting to take a back seat and read what people say. If you don't constantly barrage post messages you get abuse hurled at you that a mariner would blush to hear. I ventured into a few places when i first hooked up to the net and even back then it was grim. Now I prefer to see posts that last and that you can re-read months later and respond to. Message boards are like verbal photographs - sorta.....

Pendo, how would being a vegetarian give him any right to attack you?

I used to mod our SSG chatroom but it became too much of a chore - keeping some people from being jerks was very time-consuming and I threw in the towel. I think chatrooms give a feeling of anonymity which in turn gives to a sense of "freedom to do whatever I want" and some people want to be rude and selfish whether they realize it or not. I guess it's the nature of man, that feeling of anonymity empowers people to do strange things like riot, steal or cheat on their spouses.

I remember when I was hanging out in a Babylon 5 chatroom a lonnnnnnnng while back, I'd get bashed for not wanting to cyber with people even when there was a guy in our group who got in serious troubles over that (took in a woman who turned out to have multiple personalities... the main one was married with kids). There's a place for that stuff and it ain't a sci-fi chatroom IMO.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

all people ever do is fight and threaten each other. most dialogues i have joined in to are as follows:
    "man, im gonna kick your butt" <--lives in maine
    "no im gonna kick you butt!!!" <--lives in montana
    here's a picture to tell about fighting on the net. people are gonna get mad maybe, i don't know (or care?), i found it on this dude's site. He is called p0p0 or something.

(mod note - attachment deleted because it had "the f-word")
    [FONT=comic sans ms]ok make me stop talking, it's not interesting anymore[/FONT]