Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

AA's Enterprise toy is finally here!

This is an awesome Trek toy, one of the best vehicles in the modern toy age (since the early '90s when Playmates started that great line). I've been waiting for it for a VERY long time and finally found a stack of 'em at Target tonight. It has a few flaws, but the positives outnumber them so much and it's so nice to have an accurate, larger starship toy that I can't stop raving about this piece.

The "negatives" first:
    - base paint color is slightly off;
    - plating paint is a bit dark;
    - 1 button cycles through the effects;
    - 3 small blue paint apps were not applied to the finished model;
    - I'll always want more paint details, I'm greedy that way.

That's nothing when you take into account how cool this thing is. Because the plastic isn't as thick as the Playmates ships, so many more details are included here than could ever be in that line - yet the plastic isn't brittle or cheap or fragile at all. The stand can be removed without leaving an ugly spot in the ship because it has 2 different shuttlebay covers, 1 to accomodate the stand and 1 to look accurate.

There have been a lot of complaints about problems with the warp engines not staying on the nacelle arms, but on mine, this was another case where the instructions simply didn't play up the issue enough - like the phase pistol's shutdown mode, if I hadn't reread the instructions, I wouldn't have known to slip the engines onot the back of the nacelles first and then hinge the engine forward, this is the ONLY way to lock those engines in place, but it totally works perfectly now! If you don't do this, the engines sorta stay on, but the lights don't work there until you push down; but if you DO what the instructions say, the engines stay on fine and never fail to light. BTW, the lights are:

- deflector dish
    - both impulse engines
    - both bussard collectors
    - both sets of warp coils

That's 7 different lights. The deflector dish's light shines through the upper hull a little, but it looks like the formation light that illuminates the main ship registry.

The lights are timed variously to coordinate with the sounds like so:

- During the "engine startup" sound (the 1st sound), all the lights "warm up" except the deflector which comes on normally, and the impulse engines take the longest to warm up all the way;
    - the "going to warp" sound, the warp engine lights "warm up" faster than before, and the impulse engines and deflector which are on full the whole time;
    - during the "at warp" sound, the warp engines lights fade in and out;
    - the "grappling attachment" sound (4th), torpedo sound (5th), and phase cannon sound (6th) have the lights just on;
    - the final sound, "enemy attack", starts with the lights blinking out as the attack gets worse, then the warp engines blink out and the impulse engines go solid-on while the deflector continues to blink.

This kind of light interactivity is an amazing addition to an incredible ship with a totally fantastic sculpt and a really nifty paint job, and all at $20... oh wait, did I forgot to mention that the stand is clear blue and the Enterprise logo? This is a must-have Star Trek ship, a must-have toy, and I hope the beginning of an incredible run of starship toys from Art Asylum!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

that sounds really cool! i think it's funny that its battle action is it breaking down... it would be really cool to see a bunch of ST ships with this type of action - the ships are one of the biggest drawing points for me! i might have to pick this up...
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Let me say this, the more people that pick up this awesome ship, the greater the likelyhood that the Enterprise-A, Ent-E, TOS Ent, and Reliant protos get turned into actual toys. This NX-01 ship is 12" long, as accurate as any Trek model I've ever built (except the fiber optic Ent-A, and that was simply because each window had its own light), and only twenty bucks.

I too love that its final action is the ship losing a firefight, that fits this series so well. It's like, first you hear the ship trying to sound like a badarse by showing its might with the grappler, then torpedo, then phase cannons, but in the end it's the enemy who wins the battle and all the Ent can do is limp away.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I wish it had come with an opening shuttle bay and deployable micro-machine shuttle though. I guess it's a great start though, the hull plating detail looks amazing and while I don't Enterprise much on screen, it's still a great quality toy that I'm definitely gonna pick up. (Then pit it against some SW Action Fleet )
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Originally posted by JediTricks

I too love that its final action is the ship losing a firefight, that fits this series so well. It's like, first you hear the ship trying to sound like a badarse by showing its might with the grappler, then torpedo, then phase cannons, but in the end it's the enemy who wins the battle and all the Ent can do is limp away.
    my thoughts exactly!

i was just checking out the pic of it at www.artasylum.com and, yeah, i'm going to have to get this! it just looks too damn cool!

it is unfortunate that there aren't multiple buttons, but that seems to be the only thing that comes to mind in terms of my dislikes - the coloration looks pretty cool in the pics, but since you're looking at the actual thing, i'll take your word for it.
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Great Review JT!

I had no idea this was out yet. I'll have to stop by my Target today and see if they have them down in San Diego yet.

Very cool details you gave us. It peaked my interest!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Basker, that would have been the proverbial bee's knees, but I think the toy would have to be considerably bigger to pull that off. Maybe if Enterprise does well in the ratings and the toy line does well, AA will go back and make a bigger, more feature-laden version of the ship.

I think the AF Imp Shuttle, Imp Lander, Rebel Corvette, Republic Cruiser, Sandcrawler, and Jabba's Sail Barge are the closest to scale with this ship. I'm fairly confident the DC Millennium Falcon, Y-wing, Slave 1, and the MM X-wing and all the MM ships in scale with that would be in scale with the Enterprise here. From the STMM line, I think the runabout and Vulcan shuttle Surak would fit in scale with the Ent as well.

darthvyn, I can tell the base color is off because I have a pic of the Ent from the TV Guide first look on my wall right next to my PC. The Ent is more of a pale bronze color or maybe that brownish titanium look, while the toy is more metallic gray. It's barely an issue to me, but I did notice it.

The single button (which is the bridge itself) is less cool than individual buttons like on the Playmates ships, but then again, those buttons did affect the look there so I guess it's a trade-off. I can't really think of a good place for 6 more buttons to go on this beauty.

Tycho, did I "pique" your interest too? J/K, let us know what you think of it when you find it, I know you're WAY into Enterprise.

Was checking out some web info on the NX-01 and found a descrip of some of the details on this ship that I'm confident wouldn't show up on a Playmates version. Upon comparing the AA toy to the descrip, it all checked out - the AA has some insanely cool details that even a model might not have - sensor palettes and RCS maneuvering thrusters in all the right places and with real details, not just generic blobs! Just more amazement I've received from this toy over the past few days.

NCC-1701-A is confirmed as the next vehicle from AA, and possibly Ent-E as well is confirmed, wasn't totally clear on that. But this is fantastic, I've waited so long, and now it's coming true!!!!!

http://www.figures.com/databases/act...how_article=93