Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    How many people here have actually seen an episode of The Awful Truth? It amazes me that any organisation ever backs his efforts, he really takes it to the corporations and the authorities when it comes to their hypocrisies.

Also to come straight out and say that wants to slam Dubya and post 9/11 agenda is gutsy. He's not some loon spouting left-wing ideas for the sake of hearing his own voice. He does some cutting research and his views are well backed up.

If it ever makes it overseas I might just go see it for myself.
    "Luke' I am your father!"

"You may be my father, but who's your daddy!?!"

I've seen the film via the Toronto film festival.....

...quite frankly, any american concerned for their childrens future SHOULD see it.

Lightbulb quelle coinkydink. . .

. . . swaffy & i were just having an email correspondence about george 'throws like a girl' will and i mentioned that while i consistently find moore amusing (including his charlie rose interview a coupla nights ago; same show also featured said girl-thrower ), after reading
    http://www.salon.com/june97/media/media970606.html and
    http://www.salon.com/july97/moore970703.html,
    that's about as far as my regard for or trust in him goes. he's an entertaining hypocrite, nothing moore
    vt

those articles sound like nothing more than a few men having a pi$$ing contest.........

I really want to see it this weekend, but--although I'm in southern CA, it's still a bit of a drive to any theater showing it, and this weekend's been pretty booked for over a month now. Sorry, Mr Moore. I loved Roger and Me, I like the parts of Stupid White Men I've read (I own it but haven't gotten to reading it in full yet), and I think Bush would be better off trying far the part of Big Brother in a musical based on Orwell's 1984. Next weekend, most likely.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Originally posted by JediTricks
    BTW, how come some of you label Moore's new film as "propaganda" yet when the current administration slammed us with those creepy "what if America wasn't America" ads, that got no response at all? I think far too many people out there are so quick to judge and so afraid to listen and above all too threatened to be tasked to think for themselves on anything that doesn't tow the party line.
    I didn't see anyone post a The current administration (that brought you the "what if America wasn't America" advertisements) WANTS YOU **Everyone READ** topic.

Roger Moore is absolutely not an unbiased entertainer. I won't pay Jerry Fallwell the price of movie ticket to listen to his slant on life for an hour and a half either.

I think for my children's sake , I will encourage everyone NOT to support Michael Moore, Jerry Fallwell, or anyone else I feel to be so obscenely sanctimonious.
    ubi mel ibi apes

Originally posted by Jedi Clint
    I didn't see anyone post a The current administration (that brought you the "what if America wasn't America" advertisements) WANTS YOU **Everyone READ** topic.

Roger Moore is absolutely not an unbiased entertainer. I won't pay Jerry Fallwell the price of movie ticket to listen to his slant on life for an hour and a half either.
    Nobody is an unbiased entertainer, but what does The Saint aka James Bond have to do with this discussion? He's not even American, for corn's sake! Now if you meant Michael Moore, then at least he's up-front about where he stands.

BTW, almost all of those "What if America wasn't America" ads were followed by recruitment ads for the various US military services. So someone in the administration did want you (the group "you"), and since they played these ads on nearly every network and cabler, the message did seem to be "everybody look".
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I agree Michael Moore can be a little loony but he drives his point home through his books, TV show (TV Nation) or movies. In general, Moore is a gadfly against The "status quo" "establishment" or "the man" or whatever you call the powers that be, who are corrupted by their power and their desire to stay entrenched into their own positions, that it is silly. We as public seem unwilling to question or challenge these positions, notions, people or whatever the subject.

Take his movie Roger and Me.

The film documented the arrogance, unkindness, and uncaringness the corporate world has displayed to it's fellow employees. GM was a company that made billions in money a year and yet they felt the need to close many plants in the U.S. so that they could set up shop in Mexico or some other nation and pay their workers a bare minimum wage. Moore wanted a chance to interview Roger Smith, the CEO of GM at the time, throughout the whole movie, but never got it.

We saw the drastic effects on the town of Flint MI, the exodus of GM caused. This is true for many of the 'rust belt' cities of the NE and Midwest that were once thriving cities that supported a major industry at a time but now are dying because of the flight of capital mainly due to factories and plants moving. Many of these coroporations and industries feel no obligation or loyalty to these cities that they have been in for decades. So they move it. Yet, these coroporations with their high-priced lobbyists are always knocking on the door of Congressmen in Washington lobbying for more tax cuts, claiming that they are in dire need of help.

Anyway I got a little off topic. Michael Moore may be a little hypocritical but you know what--we all have our hypocrises and I feel as long as you fight for the right causes--you are allowed a few. Or is that a hypocritical opinion?

Bowling for Columbine. Probably won't see it in the theatre but I'll see it sooner or later. I've seen previews of it on TV, the parts where if you open a loan with a bank in MI you get a free gun. Seems a nice social commentary on not just on guns, but how violence is ingrained in our culture.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Originally posted by JediTricks
    Nobody is an unbiased entertainer, but what does The Saint aka James Bond have to do with this discussion? He's not even American, for corn's sake! Now if you meant Michael Moore, then at least he's up-front about where he stands.

BTW, almost all of those "What if America wasn't America" ads were followed by recruitment ads for the various US military services. So someone in the administration did want you (the group "you"), and since they played these ads on nearly every network and cabler, the message did seem to be "everybody look".
    Aw! You knew what I mean't

LBC,

I watched "Roger and me". He might have sought to give Roger the opportunity to defend the decisions of GM, but he was clearly intent on painting the company in a negative way. Perhaps they deserved it. I don't think that the bottom line is more important than keeping jobs in the States. I won't pass judgement on them based on Roger's.....I mean Michael's word of honor. Bill Clinton has an impressive list of actions that quailify as a display of less than honorable conduct, but M.M. never wrote a book pen-lashing the smuck, or going after the media for their methodical leftist brainwashing of the public regarding the issue of abortion.
    ubi mel ibi apes

It is sadly ironic that so much of the initial reaction to the posting of Mr. Moore's entreaties were so negative. Yes, it is propaganda, in a sense. But certainly no more than that perpetuated by any party interested in getting out their message. However, Michael Moore does not have giants of industry, powerful lobbies, or huge interest groups that serve to blindly spout his propaganda. So in the end, one man's call for support seems somehow culpable or worthy of ridicule while that of massive groups is accepted by all as the status quo.

I will personally seek out this film as I feel that Michael Moore is one of the few Americans willing to go out on a limb and truly exercise his First Ammendment rights. And I would suggest that all who have enough faith in their own convictions to allow them to be challenged from time to time do likewise. I loose a lot of patience with people who are so sure of thier own views, yet refuse to expose themselves to any views that are counter, as if somehow thier own views would be erroeded. And finally, I would suggest that what is at work in this latest film and its apparent plight is that we seem all too willing to allow First Ammendment rights to be scuttled in favor of Second Ammendment rights.
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.