Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Geonosian Battle Arena reviewed (for real)

I picked up one of these bad boys at a K-Mart here in Denver, I could hardly drive because was just so danged excited to go home and put it together.

Okay this playset is sort of heavy, and if its on a top shelf and it falls on your head, you would feel it. The Set itself is all seperate in the box for obvious reasons, the base is two parts and many saller parts make up the main rocky area overloking the arena. There are several "features" and "extentions" It has "force" action, there is a spinning platform, an extendible platform, it can also become larger by adding the Yoda Deuxe toy, the Droid Factory Deluxe, and the Geonsian Hive Deluxe, It fits together PERFECTLY. The Arena floor is actualy rather small, only extendng a bit from the gate. There is then a carboard wall to make it the full size, which is however big you want it to be. There are 2 collapsible pillars which are each 3 parts. the colums still fall a little short on the size, however you can connect two middle pieces and make a 4 part pillar which is actually accurate. You need either a REALLY big imagination or a really big sand pit to make this the whole arena. On a 10 scale this piece gets a 7 and a half, because some parts shown on display models are absent, and instead include a role play book and 20 sided die. It is rather easy to play with and figs fit nicely on the numerous pegs provided. the back playset was also a good idea.
    I am hoping that the padme' coming ot next year will have a base that also connects making a pretty long droid assembly line.
    "I assume my reputation for arrogant presumption precedes me"-Area man

Continuing on...

For what it's worth... I picked this one up as well. I saw no price on the shelf. Out of curiosity I took it to a price scanner and discovered that the it came up as $26.96 . Armed with this information, I went up to the checkout and- sure enough, $26.96. So I took it back over to my mum's condo and put it together! Nice job there on the pricing, Wallykids!

Anyhow... for all the griping one could do on this piece ("It's not the Death Star playset") one has to remember that not ALL of Kenner's playsets were all that fantastic. This one, I would place along the lines of the Imperial Attack Base playset or the Darth Vader's Star Destroyer playset. It doesn't really do much, but it can be fun. AND... it's a lot more reasonable for a lower price since it IS missing the Cannon and the Detention device.

So... let me begin by saying that it IS a sturdy piece of plastic. There is a bit of assembly required, but all of the little "rocks" you have to put on this thing actually are the glue that holds the pieces together.

**The little spires on and around the Spectator Box are made of rubber... and, I'm certain that Jargo would refer to these as "turds"... since that is esentially what the looklike until you put them on.

**The doors to the arena do not open into the battlefield, but rather into the reverse side. The doors are designed to click shut and do not swing open freely.

** The cartoony Geonosians that you see in the stickers on the mock-ups and the box have been replaced with actual shots of the stands from the film. They look a little odd, but I will take these over having Poggle the Lesser standing there every three Geonosians in the pattern!

** Sand base- I wish this could have been extended by another four inches outward, but there are some fun things going on here. There are pegs and footprints everywhere. Speaking of "footprints"... there are two Reek footprints moulded into the base. One of the footprints has a little rectangular recess in it. I am guessing that your could put a lightsaber hilt there to look as if it had been trampled on by the Reek! There are also bits of Battle Droids and Super Battle Droids sculpted into the "sand". There is a revolving platform that spins rather freely, unlike many of the ones that you have to keep turning to get to spin. On the opposite side of the base, there is a little level that slides back and forth. This lever activates two "flip panels" (much like the Deluxe Yoda one, but not spring activated).

** The cardboard perimiter is still a little stupid in design, but the "rocks" to which it connects and are supported by are rather interesting. The inner side features a very out-of-scale cavern and gate, which I believe looks like the one from which the Reek was released. The other side has some equipment and pipes on it. It is to this side that the Deluxe Yoda set "connects". Don't ask me what the original hangar interior would be doing out in the middle of the battlefield. Anyhow... it doesn't REALLY connect there. The rock has a little recess that is sculpted to butt-up against the Deluxe Yoda set.

** The Secret Hangar is on what would be YOUR left when looking at the back of the playset. There is nothing of note there, but the way the designed the walls... you can tell that's where it is supposed to be. I suppose it also could have been where the detention device would have gone... Oh, well. Again... not a big deal for not having to pay the full price on this.

** The reverse side of the Spectator Box is the retractable bridge. There are a load of stickers that go on this, but they don't really add anything to it, so you could probably just leave them off. It's very standard. No surprises there.

** The Droid Factory piece, however, is VERY nicely done. Okay... it's not movie accurate, but it is pretty sharp! The unit that comes packaged with the Arena has a little lever that slides across the base of it. The lever is sculpted to look a little bit like the piece that Anakin's arm was stuck to. The lever activates the middle apparatus, which moves up and down in a chopping fashion. There are three included: the "knife", an "arm" and a "stomper" thing. Each of the arms is "interchangable" according to the instructions, but I like the knife there the best. The Deluxe C-3P0 connects to the outside end of this. I am hoping that the Deluxe Padme will connect at the opposite end of this as the one apparatus (the "stomper") is practically useless as it is almost up against the wall.

There is no indicator as to where the Flying Geonosian is supposed to connect onto this set... but I suppose we'll figure that out soon enough.

** One FINAL addition... The pillars in the arena are pretty good. As previously mentioned, they are not to scale, but work rather well. I wish that they could have just ignored that mini pillar they packed in with Padme and just given us three. Oh, well... you can't have EVERYTHING!!!

I would be hard pressed to have paid full price for this unit as it is missing the essential Detention Device and the Geonoisan Cannon. Still, this is probably the best thing Hasblah has done with playsets... well- EVER!

I, too, would give this a 7 out of 10
    Last edited by JEDIpartner; 10-13-2002 at 03:51 PM.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Re: Continuing on...

Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
    Anyhow... for all the griping one could do on this piece ("It's not the Death Star playset") on has to remember that not ALL of Kenner's playsets were all that fantastic. [/B]
    That's funny JP, I was just reading an article in Toyfare which quoted Andy Epenshade as rivaling the Arena playset with the Death Star playset.

It's really true... I mean, this is really the first playset of this magnitude to come along SINCE the Death Start playset in 1978. I'm curious to read what the Toyfare article has to say about this.

It is pretty darn big. Although i was not abloe to get the Death Star playsetmostly due to me being born 7 years after its release. However from reference pictures it seems like it is the larger of the two. Maybe one day i will get my hands on one of those Death Star Sets.
    "I assume my reputation for arrogant presumption precedes me"-Area man

IT IS DANG COOL!!!!!!!!!!!
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

The Death Star IS a TALLER playset, but is more air than substance. I LOVE it because, while not a faithful reproduction of the Death Star (it's missing the detention block... we always used the Elevator as Leia's cell), it IS a very fun playset. True, the trash compactor had only one wall that moved... and it moved towards the door, it was no big deal. That is why I think the arena is a decent playset! Even with the cardboard perimeter (the Death Star had cardboard walls) it's still cool!!!

Sounds cool...I have to get at least three of them so I can build all my dioramas along with six more gunships to go with them....
    Anakin: "Where are you going Master?"
    Obi-Wan: "To get a drink!! A Molson XXX!!"

watch it, bub!

Hey JP..... Are you talk'n to me????
    Anakin: "Where are you going Master?"
    Obi-Wan: "To get a drink!! A Molson XXX!!"